The Student Room Group

Architecture College Application - any tips?

I'm applying to architecture this year and I need some tips on what super curriculars/books etc. look well on a university application.

I'm applying to competitive universities like Cambridge, UCL and UAL, but I'm deferring my entry because I want to do a fine arts and design course after graduating, which means that I can apply to university again but I want to make sure this application is good enough.

I'm doing Maths, Physics, Art and Spanish as my A Levels. I got an A in AS Maths and Physics, and an A in A Level Spanish (I was thinking of redoing some units to get an A*, but Spanish isn't required for any architecture courses, so would it be necessary to resit?). I'm not doing an EPQ so I think I need some good super curriculars in order to balance that!

The problem is that I haven't really spent time reading books and magazines, so I need to find a few that will really impress in my application. I'm thinking of reading a book by Le Corbusier, but other than that I don't know what to do. I appreciate any reading, podcast or documentary recs!
Or are there any unique super curriculars that universities especially like, such as internships etc.?? Thanks for any tips and ideas!!
Unis only require three A levels (even Cambridge) so think about dropping one subject to make sure you maintain those high grades next year. A*AA is the highest entry requirement for any architecture course so a retake isn't necessary (see this thread re A levels for architecture). Cambridge publishes a recommended reading list for applicants so I recommend you start there for additional reading:

https://www.arct.cam.ac.uk/Downloads/books-recommended-for-reading

Your portfolio is important so focus on that too. They key thing for architecture is to show your interest in design - visits to galleries, buildings that inspire you, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending