The Student Room Group

The best answers for "Why would you like to work for us"... ???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Panzer Division
That's a great answer for "Why did you apply for that position?", it doesn't say anything in particular about why do you want to work for a certain shop.

"I'd like to work for Debenhams because I enjoy talking to customers and trying to help them with whatever problems they have. It's always a good feeling when they leave happy" Yeah because Debenhams is the only shop in Britain where you have to talk to customers? :lolwut:

So? You don't have to suck up and tell them how great their store is, it sounds disingenuous. Say something like "and I anticipate having plenty of opportunity to do x in this particular position. I would like to think that this would be a role I could really excel in" If you really must, you can say something like "I have heard that Debenhams is a good company to work for", but they will heard it all before.

They're looking for someone who sounds like they would do a good job - the two things that will make you sound like that are: a) having relevent experience/knowledge/qualifications and b) being able to come across as being enthusiastic about doing the role. Anything else you tell them is largely irrelevent.
Reply 21
Say you're interested in that line of work (retail, I guess) or that you want experience there etc etc
you could also say that you like the store itself or the atmosphere of the shop....
general stuff like that :smile:
"I find "Because I need the money" works, since it's being honest instead of giving them some rubbish that you don't really mean.
Well...it worked for my last interview anyway.. " Hit and miss on that one - personally I agree with you but my boss discards people who say that as he feels their heart is not with the job and at the first sign of stress or hard work they'll fail
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by py0alb
Don't say:

"Because I need the money"

Don't say:

"<Insert management speak bullcrap here>"

Don't say:

"Because your company is sooo wonderful"

DO say:

"Because I enjoy doing x" where x is the thing you will be doing. For example, if you will be talking to customers, say "because I enjoy talking to customers and trying to help them with whatever problems they have. It's always a good feeling when they leave happy"

YES!!!
Reply 24
I hate this question. My usual answer is for the experience, learn new skills etc.. but lately I keep getting asked "but why specifically with us".
Find out about what the company does and what genuinely interests you.

For instance if they sell a particular brand or service talk about how that interests you. Boots for example "everyone needs to buy toiletries and medicines and food and I like meeting people and helping them find what they need". Claires Accessories for example "there's always a positive buzz in the store and from personal experience I love the products".

Good luck :smile:
ie

boots

I want to work at boots because when i go into boots, unlike other competitors, i am always provided with a friendly atmosphere and the staff are more than happy to help and are good at recomending other products and so i want to be a part of this ethos.

debenhams:

I want to work at debenhams because when i go into debenhams, unlike other competitors, i am always provided with a friendly atmosphere and the staff are more than happy to help and are good at recomending other products and so i want to be a part of this ethos.

Next

I want to work at Next because when i go into next, unlike other competitors, i am always provided with a friendly atmosphere and the staff are more than happy to help and are good at recomending other products and so i want to be a part of this ethos.
Reply 27
Original post by OceanInTheSky
I find "Because I need the money" works, since it's being honest instead of giving them some rubbish that you don't really mean.

Well...it worked for my last interview anyway..

If the job is highly competitive, such a reason won't fly with an interviewer. The employer has already probably guessed that you're there because you need money. What they want to see is interest. To them, you could find a job anywhere. They want to know why they should choose you over someone else. Most companies have corporate website where they tell you their aims, values and about their employee. Reel off a few of those (not word for word) and just be enthusiastic. Saying what you could bring to the company looks good because it shows that you're interested in what you can give to the company as opposed to what you can get.
hahaha
Original post by Shortarse
Because you would love to work for such a well established and respected company, you are looking for a challenging career that will push you to reach your full potential and Debenhams (or whoever) has the best grad schemes / development opportunities that will help you to do that - try to tailor it specifically to you and the company.

This is always a good thing to say... It also helps if you apply to a company you personally really like!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by lm_wfc
Tell the inteviewer its so you get to spend more time with them, then wink.

:sexface:

Pffft i laughed at this way more than I should have done😹 that’s a way for security to drag your butt out the store
An easier way of thinking about this question is to flip it: What can I offer this company that would make them want to hire me?

You need to show that: (1) you're familiar with the company (and not just skimming the website) e.g. their products, ethos, market, rivals, strengths, weaknesses, aims, etc; (2) your skills, experiences and successes in previous roles meet the person spec; (3) your values align with those of the company (i.e. you're a good fit); (4) and the extra value you're bringing that makes you stand out from the others; and (5) if there's anything specific that attracts you to them (e.g. product they developed that you really liked, their reputation within the industry, etc).

You don't have to discuss all of the above, but you should cover as many as possible. It's simply not enough to waffle praise about the company because they can see through it. The aim is to show them you're the best fit candidate. And try not to focus too much on the bigger ambitions you have as they won't like being seen as a stepping stone!

Anyway, this is usually the opening, ice breaker question. So smile a lot, make sure you address each interviewer (and not just the one asking the question), and appear to be excited!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending