The Student Room Group

I'm failing my a levels and don't know what to do

Nothing
(edited 1 month ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by JD094b
I am honestly so frustrated right now. I'm doing very badly in all of my subjects and I just don't know what to do.

I'm actually putting in the effort but I'm still not achieving what I need to achieve to get to where I want to be. I started off struggling at the beginning of the year but I progressivly got a little better.

I'm doing economics, maths and English Lit at a level and I got A* B (like 2 marks of an A) and a C in that order in my second KAP Which isn't the best but I was getting better. However on my recent KAP I got a D in economics and I got another C in English Lit (no improvment) it’s just so incredibly demotivating because I actually did study for my subjects. I also had my maths mock a couple day ago and I feel like I did everything wrong I will probably be getting anything less than a C.

I am willing to put in whatever it takes but I just don't know how I can get better.

My goal is anywhere between A*AA - A*A*A* (with an A* at maths) at the end of my A levels so I can get into a competitive university. I know it sounds unrealistic but I'm actually desperate (hopefully before my end of year exams which are starting from 30th of April so I can be predicted high grades)

- my goals is to study anything relating to finance, economics, financial maths, maths with econ etc. At LSE, Baths, Ucl etc. (advice on extracurriculars and things outside of school I should be focused on would also be a massive help)

I am already halfway into the school year so I really do need to improve quickly, it would be really helpful if someone that was in the same situation and got better gave me some pointers for drastic improvement.

A little overview of how and what revision I have been doing and my issues from my perspective:
- I made flashcards for all my economic units and I went over them a couple days before exam but the thing with that is I keep second-guessing my flashcards accuracy and then I end up deleting everything and starting all over again which takes away from revision time
- One of the most confusing aspects for me is the graphs and how the graphs change depending of certain factors eg. If I had to demonstrate a change in demand and supply curves due to a change is conditions of demand etc.
- And I also lose many marks due to messing up exam structures in economics essays
- Maths I have been looking at TLMATHS to improve my understanding which has actually helped and then I attempted some exam questions and integral worksheets - I have also been going to maths workshops but it doesn't really help because most of the time my tutor is confused which confuses me. But for some reason I felt like the last paper exam questions where so much easier than the maths exam questions I got in my mock which made be feel blind sighted.
- For English if I'm being honest I haven't been doing much of anything due to focusing so much on economics and maths
- during my maths mock some of the questions made 0 sense and looked like gibberish on paper but when I left the room everything just started making sense and I couldn't believe I got some of those things wrong because they seemed easy when studying on my own. My mind just goes completly blank whenever under exam stress, how do I avoid that?
- I also listen to music with lyrics while studying so that might have a big impact on my understanding?

Another problem is that i dont know what maths recourses to use and when to use them (past papers, integral, maths and physics tutor etc.)

The exam boards I am going are ocr-mei for maths, edexcel for economics and ocr for English literature

I actually feel like crying, that maths mock really deflated me.

I totally understand your frustration! I am in year 13 and I want to get n veterinary medicine but I'm not where I want to be yet in terms of some of my grades. However I am predicted an A* for English Literature and recieved an A in my recent mock which was a week ago so I can offer you some advice on how I got better from a D in year 12 to As and A*s in year 13. While I have edexcel as my exam board I can give you some general tips that I use!

Quotes!
Its important not to waste time when your in the exam by flipping through your books, you shoukd know the book inside out, meaning the plot and an idea of the chronology of the text. For me, instead of memorising a bunch a quotes I memorise where in the book it is. What's easier to remember? A bunch of sentences or a chapter number. Its likely that the quotes you need are on the same page / chapter or if not a couple pages between each other. To avoid wasting time "where in the book is it", group the chapters into themes. For example one of my texts is war of the worlds, if the question I get is on survival I know that Chapter 14 or whatever has quotes on survival of the fittest and evolution. This is what works for me however, if memorising quotes is best for you then you should continue.

Know your AO's.
The main AOs are 1,2 and 3. and in some essays for my spec at least is AO4 and AO5. Ask your teacher for a one to one, this is where she goes through an essay that you previously wrote and she identifies your weak areas. My english teacher does this with every student in her a level class, the feedback your receiving is personal and allows you to work on it.

AO2
For every quote you use, find the technique but use ambitious ones, straying away from simpler ones like adverbs but use motifs, symbols. This will push your level

Critique and be curious.
For every point you make on the writers method, ask yourself why does the author do this and use this opportunity to link to context.

Your essay structure.
Don't use a fixed structure that you use again and again especially for your thesis as this can limit you. In your thesis have the main 2/3 ideas and cover these ideas in your 2/3 paragraphs, reference back to your points.

The last thing I'm going to say isn't something I should be saying but revising for english is HARD, and nobody wants to be writing essays as a reason or way to revise and you shouldn't. Instead practice planning for past paper questions so you have an idea of what you would say. Spend time planning, at least 15 minutes for each essay. Make revision maps for every text/poem/novel you study. So day before exams you can recap quickly by looking at the key themes, ideas and context and prevents time wasting of rewriting notes.

I study biology and chemistry along side English so English gets neglected so I understand your focus on the other subjects cuz that’s what I do. But as long as your revision has already be planned (mind maps / quote banks / flashards ) then you should hopefully be okay

I have every faith in you that you can achieve A's in english and your other subjects.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3
Hi, I’m in Year 12. I can give some advice on the maths:
. First of all, don’t worry about the maths mock. It is likely your school made mocks deliberately hard. Usually the papers are a little easier/use lower grade boundaries. Don’t feel deflated about it.
. Mind blanking during exams: Make sure you are getting enough sleep the night before (at least 8 hours, ideally at least 9 as you have a test). Don’t test right right before exams (like don’t read material/panic about it 5 mins before you go into the hall)as this can cause your stress to peak, and then you will end up looking at a question which may not be the same as what you were just looking at a few minutes before. This can cause a mind blank/morale deflate.

. It’s great that you have been looking at TL maths. He is very helpful. Keep doing that. Maybe complement the videos with trying some of the worksheets online (e.g on Maths Genie) or I think TL maths even does some worksheets of his own for a low price. Or use the textbook alongside, so watch a video and then once you feel secure and have done a few practice questions using his videos then you can do all the questions you can in the textbook.
. Maths clinics: I don’t really like maths clinics either, I find there are too many people and too few staff:student ratio. You could always ask your maths questions here on TSR, or submit them to the YouTuber Mitchell Dye (check out his channel, he often does livestream walkthroughs of any questions emailed to him by watchers).
Reply 4
Original post by rrstar
I totally understand your frustration! I am in year 13 and I want to get n veterinary medicine but I'm not where I want to be yet in terms of some of my grades. However I am predicted an A* for English Literature and recieved an A in my recent mock which was a week ago so I can offer you some advice on how I got better from a D in year 12 to As and A*s in year 13. While I have edexcel as my exam board I can give you some general tips that I use!

Quotes!
Its important not to waste time when your in the exam by flipping through your books, you shoukd know the book inside out, meaning the plot and an idea of the chronology of the text. For me, instead of memorising a bunch a quotes I memorise where in the book it is. What's easier to remember? A bunch of sentences or a chapter number. Its likely that the quotes you need are on the same page / chapter or if not a couple pages between each other. To avoid wasting time "where in the book is it", group the chapters into themes. For example one of my texts is war of the worlds, if the question I get is on survival I know that Chapter 14 or whatever has quotes on survival of the fittest and evolution. This is what works for me however, if memorising quotes is best for you then you should continue.

Know your AO's.
The main AOs are 1,2 and 3. and in some essays for my spec at least is AO4 and AO5. Ask your teacher for a one to one, this is where she goes through an essay that you previously wrote and she identifies your weak areas. My english teacher does this with every student in her a level class, the feedback your receiving is personal and allows you to work on it.

AO2
For every quote you use, find the technique but use ambitious ones, straying away from simpler ones like adverbs but use motifs, symbols. This will push your level

Critique and be curious.
For every point you make on the writers method, ask yourself why does the author do this and use this opportunity to link to context.

Your essay structure.
Don't use a fixed structure that you use again and again especially for your thesis as this can limit you. In your thesis have the main 2/3 ideas and cover these ideas in your 2/3 paragraphs, reference back to your points.

The last thing I'm going to say isn't something I should be saying but revising for english is HARD, and nobody wants to be writing essays as a reason or way to revise and you shouldn't. Instead practice planning for past paper questions so you have an idea of what you would say. Spend time planning, at least 15 minutes for each essay. Make revision maps for every text/poem/novel you study. So day before exams you can recap quickly by looking at the key themes, ideas and context and prevents time wasting of rewriting notes.

I study biology and chemistry along side English so English gets neglected so I understand your focus on the other subjects cuz that’s what I do. But as long as your revision has already be planned (mind maps / quote banks / flashards ) then you should hopefully be okay

I have every faith in you that you can achieve A's in english and your other subjects.

Thank you! This actually made me feel so much more motivated 🙂 a D to A/A* is so impressive and give me hope! I will also start going to workshops to go though things with teachers for English.
Reply 5
Original post by kitty15
Hi, I’m in Year 12. I can give some advice on the maths:
. First of all, don’t worry about the maths mock. It is likely your school made mocks deliberately hard. Usually the papers are a little easier/use lower grade boundaries. Don’t feel deflated about it.
. Mind blanking during exams: Make sure you are getting enough sleep the night before (at least 8 hours, ideally at least 9 as you have a test). Don’t test right right before exams (like don’t read material/panic about it 5 mins before you go into the hall)as this can cause your stress to peak, and then you will end up looking at a question which may not be the same as what you were just looking at a few minutes before. This can cause a mind blank/morale deflate.

. It’s great that you have been looking at TL maths. He is very helpful. Keep doing that. Maybe complement the videos with trying some of the worksheets online (e.g on Maths Genie) or I think TL maths even does some worksheets of his own for a low price. Or use the textbook alongside, so watch a video and then once you feel secure and have done a few practice questions using his videos then you can do all the questions you can in the textbook.
. Maths clinics: I don’t really like maths clinics either, I find there are too many people and too few staff:student ratio. You could always ask your maths questions here on TSR, or submit them to the YouTuber Mitchell Dye (check out his channel, he often does livestream walkthroughs of any questions emailed to him by watchers).

Thank you! What is your opinion on madasmaths? How would you structure your maths revision?
Reply 6
Original post by JD094b
Thank you! What is your opinion on madasmaths? How would you structure your maths revision?

I have used Madasmaths for the practice papers which you can sort by difficulty on the site (note there’s not much answer space on these papers so you will need to answer on a separate sheet/notepad).
I would structure your maths revision based on what you find most difficult. Maybe download a checklist of all things on maths a level (Bicen Maths has one of these). If you don’t know something, mark it in red and make sure you prioritise it in your revision
Original post by JD094b
I am honestly so frustrated right now. I'm doing very badly in all of my subjects and I just don't know what to do.

I'm actually putting in the effort but I'm still not achieving what I need to achieve to get to where I want to be. I started off struggling at the beginning of the year but I progressivly got a little better.

I'm doing economics, maths and English Lit at a level and I got A* B (like 2 marks of an A) and a C in that order in my second KAP Which isn't the best but I was getting better. However on my recent KAP I got a D in economics and I got another C in English Lit (no improvment) it’s just so incredibly demotivating because I actually did study for my subjects. I also had my maths mock a couple day ago and I feel like I did everything wrong I will probably be getting anything less than a C.

I am willing to put in whatever it takes but I just don't know how I can get better.

My goal is anywhere between A*AA - A*A*A* (with an A* at maths) at the end of my A levels so I can get into a competitive university. I know it sounds unrealistic but I'm actually desperate (hopefully before my end of year exams which are starting from 30th of April so I can be predicted high grades)

- my goals is to study anything relating to finance, economics, financial maths, maths with econ etc. At LSE, Baths, Ucl etc. (advice on extracurriculars and things outside of school I should be focused on would also be a massive help)

I am already halfway into the school year so I really do need to improve quickly, it would be really helpful if someone that was in the same situation and got better gave me some pointers for drastic improvement.

A little overview of how and what revision I have been doing and my issues from my perspective:
- I made flashcards for all my economic units and I went over them a couple days before exam but the thing with that is I keep second-guessing my flashcards accuracy and then I end up deleting everything and starting all over again which takes away from revision time
- One of the most confusing aspects for me is the graphs and how the graphs change depending of certain factors eg. If I had to demonstrate a change in demand and supply curves due to a change is conditions of demand etc.
- And I also lose many marks due to messing up exam structures in economics essays
- Maths I have been looking at TLMATHS to improve my understanding which has actually helped and then I attempted some exam questions and integral worksheets - I have also been going to maths workshops but it doesn't really help because most of the time my tutor is confused which confuses me. But for some reason I felt like the last paper exam questions where so much easier than the maths exam questions I got in my mock which made be feel blind sighted.
- For English if I'm being honest I haven't been doing much of anything due to focusing so much on economics and maths
- during my maths mock some of the questions made 0 sense and looked like gibberish on paper but when I left the room everything just started making sense and I couldn't believe I got some of those things wrong because they seemed easy when studying on my own. My mind just goes completly blank whenever under exam stress, how do I avoid that?
- I also listen to music with lyrics while studying so that might have a big impact on my understanding?

Another problem is that i dont know what maths recourses to use and when to use them (past papers, integral, maths and physics tutor etc.)

The exam boards I am going are ocr-mei for maths, edexcel for economics and ocr for English literature

I actually feel like crying, that maths mock really deflated me.

For economics, the best resource for me is econplusdal. He has got playlists for micro and macroeconomics for both year 12 and year 13. And also check out his playlist for the structure of essays. That playlist really helped me to improve my essays. Basically he is the reason I'm doing well in economics. Some of savemyexams notes for econ are also good as well as tutor2u.

I only use flashcards for learning the definitions or formulas in economics.
Reply 8
Original post by NazifaNawer
For economics, the best resource for me is econplusdal. He has got playlists for micro and macroeconomics for both year 12 and year 13. And also check out his playlist for the structure of essays. That playlist really helped me to improve my essays. Basically he is the reason I'm doing well in economics. Some of savemyexams notes for econ are also good as well as tutor2u.

I only use flashcards for learning the definitions or formulas in economics.

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest