The Student Room Group

Dissertation Title Help!

Hi,

Ive been told to think about my dissertation for next year at university and ive got the choice whether to do it first semester or 2nd semester?
I was wondering what other people would think is best?

Also I study english and i have a passion for womans writing and feminism. However i was told i cant do a general title so have to be specific but i don't understand and don't know what i could do my title as. Can anyone help me please? :frown:
Reply 1
Tashaxx
Hi,

Ive been told to think about my dissertation for next year at university and ive got the choice whether to do it first semester or 2nd semester?

Also I study english and i have a passion for womans writing and feminism. However i was told i cant do a general title so have to be specific but i don't understand and don't know what i could do my title as. Can anyone help me please? :frown:

Title:"Women writers in the 20th century and their influence in culture and literature".
As for the date of your dissertation, you know better when you will be ready. Don't rush, take time to prepare a good defense. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
alijimi
Title:"Women writers in the 20th century and their influence in culture and literature".
As for the date of your dissertation, you know better when you will be ready. Don't rush, take time to prepare a good defense. Good luck :smile:

I'd still say that's a little general.

I have to be really specific

I can't just say "is the law on corporate manslaughter adequate"

it has to be something like "to what extent is the corporate manslaughter Act a sheep in wolfs clothing?"
Reply 3
The_Goose
I'd still say that's a little general.

I have to be really specific

I can't just say "is the law on corporate manslaughter adequate"

it has to be something like "to what extent is the corporate manslaughter Act a sheep in wolfs clothing?"

Well she said she has passion from women writing and feminism, nothing more. So I can not get more info out of what she said :erm:
Reply 4
alijimi
Well she said she has passion from women writing and feminism, nothing more. So I can not get more info out of what she said :erm:

just saying the title was sort of genuine - you'd probably need to mention a particular topic
Reply 5
The_Goose
just saying the title was sort of genuine - you'd probably need to mention a particular topic

This is for her to do; it's her dissertation, right :cool:
Reply 6
In our dissertation workshop they said to be very specific. We were told about a case of a girl who submitted a proposal for a dissertation on 'the 3 classical orders of architecture' and she got laughed off the course because the woman she submitted it to has spent her whole academic career looking at the 3 classical orders within a 50 year period, whereas this girl wanted to do the entire history of it in an ug dissertation of 15,000 words.

Do lots of reading around the subject you enjoy, see what sort of titles there are that interest you and work from there. Choose a theme, specific writer, period of time, etc etc to look at. Look at the sort of things your tutors have written about, read journals, if you can get your hands on other dissertations read them, that'll give you a better idea.
Reply 7
How the female driven literature of the late 90's has impacted cinematic ideals of the 2000's. thats slight more specific. Although the more specific a diss title is the better I feel, allows you to focus on your subject with greater clarity.

Mine was "The Aesthetic and Didactic Representation of Angels in the Later Medieval Churches of the East of England"
Reply 8
alijimi
This is for her to do; it's her dissertation, right :cool:

I know - but that's what the OP needs help with.
Reply 9
Freud
In our dissertation workshop they said to be very specific. We were told about a case of a girl who submitted a proposal for a dissertation on 'the 3 classical orders of architecture' and she got laughed off the course because the woman she submitted it to has spent her whole academic career looking at the 3 classical orders within a 50 year period, whereas this girl wanted to do the entire history of it in an ug dissertation of 15,000 words.

Do lots of reading around the subject you enjoy, see what sort of titles there are that interest you and work from there. Choose a theme, specific writer, period of time, etc etc to look at. Look at the sort of things your tutors have written about, read journals, if you can get your hands on other dissertations read them, that'll give you a better idea.

ooh very helpful =)

There you go OP
Tashaxx
Hi,

Do you actually have to be specific right now? Some universities, like mine, ask students to submit a proposal but it's not a contract so that it can change at a later date. It's there just so they can help find supervisors.

Latest

Trending

Trending