The Student Room Group
I have oily skin and the best product that I have used is oil control mattifier by Murad but its expensive. For a cheaper product try boots skin clear oil mattifying lotion. Hope that helps better than any blot papers I have tried :smile:
I have quite oily skin, and I use 1 per day max. Because it's only my nose that needs blotting, I cut the sheets in half to make them last longer since you really mustn't use the same one twice for hygiene reason. So yeah, in winter it'll work for 3-5 hours, summer maybe 2-4 (depending on how much you perspire/what you're doing).

I use the Superdrug Clarity ones, which are 49p for 65 sheets at the moment and work great. The Body Shop also does great ones which definitely won't disturb your makeup, but they're a bit more expensive.
MsAnnThropic
I have quite oily skin, and I use 1 per day max. Because it's only my nose that needs blotting, I cut the sheets in half to make them last longer since you really mustn't use the same one twice for hygiene reason. So yeah, in winter it'll work for 3-5 hours, summer maybe 2-4 (depending on how much you perspire/what you're doing).

I use the Superdrug Clarity ones, which are 49p for 65 sheets at the moment and work great. The Body Shop also does great ones which definitely won't disturb your makeup, but they're a bit more expensive.

Oh wow, that's a long time! Without oil blotting sheets, how long does it take for oil to show up on your face? (Weird question, sorry, but I just want to see how oily your skin is compared to mine).
Yeah, I was very impressed! Before I started using the blotting sheets I'd put powder on my nose at 7am, 10am, 1pm and 4 pm before taking it off when I got home (those were the times I wasn't in class) - the blotting sheets saved me a lot of time and also made my skin a lot healthier since mine don't deposit powder on your face. It's worth remembering though that I am a year older now, so oil production would probably be slowing down now anyway (I'm nearly 20).

I'd recommend the Body Shop ones if you wear make-up because they're very good at absorbing oil and don't disturb your make-up (I don't wear any now that I don't need face-powder) - you'll definitely want to cut them in half though, considering the price. Don't be too intimidated by the price though, since they should last about as long as a setting powder and are much, much better for your skin and a lot more convenient.

The Superdrug ones are a good place to start if you're on the fence since they're only 50p, but they are covered in reddish powder which won't come off if you just blot but may rub off very slightly if you forget and wipe instead. Also, I have no idea how they do with make-up, obviously. Seem popular though!
aerobicsgirl
I have oily skin and the best product that I have used is oil control mattifier by Murad but its expensive. For a cheaper product try boots skin clear oil mattifying lotion. Hope that helps better than any blot papers I have tried :smile:

How long does it keep oil at bay for? Do you cleanse your face and moisturise it before putting on the oil mattifying lotion, and then put make-up on over it?
Reply 6
They are really useful, I don't use them everyday as my face is a lot less oily as it used to be! But when I do use them they tend to last a long time (say if I use one at 12.00, it will last till the evening) They are cheap and quick to use, I would deffo reccommend them. If they don't work very well on your face, it doesn't matter as they are so cheap :biggrin:
Unlike some creams which I buy then find they arn't that good :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Steer clear of blotting sheets made from paper - they're just not as absorbent. The best ones are the Johnson & Johnson Clean & Clear brand ones. They're not sold in the UK, but you ca buy them very cheaply on Ebay (mainly sold out of Hong Kong) or else from sasa.com.

I have the oiliest skin of anyone I know (it gets oily within 30mins of me washing my face) and I never leave the house without oil blotting sheets. Remember it's not going to slow down the oil production, but it does mean you can reduce the oil on your face without adding heavy or powdery products.

You should also give Boots Expert Instant Matte a go - it's very cheap, and amazing.
LittleMissCurious
How long does it keep oil at bay for? Do you cleanse your face and moisturise it before putting on the oil mattifying lotion, and then put make-up on over it?

I have tried both mattifying lotions and I would say that they keep the oil at bay for most of the day, I typically apply my make up at 8am my skin is usually matte until about 3pm then I will powder my t -zone.

I usually wash my face and then apply moisturiser, then I apply the mattifying lotion just to my t-zone as that is where I am most oily, then I apply make up on the top. Hope that helps, let me know if you try either product :wink:

Latest