The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 4 (6BIO4) - 16/06/10

Hey guys, I’m doing this exam in June & thought I might make a revision/study thread where we can go through the topics, post & answer questions together.

Topic 5: On the wild side

This topic builds an appreciation that photosynthesis is the primary process that underpins the majority of ecosystems, and provides students with an understanding of how ecosystems work. The topic continues by looking at whether climate change will lead to extinction of species or evolution by natural selection, and looks at the evidence for global warming and its effects on plants and animals. By the end of the topic students should appreciate how scientific understanding can make us aware of our responsibilities as stewards of the environment.

Topic 6: Infection, immunity and forensics

This topic starts by looking at how forensic pathologists use a wide variety of analytical techniques to determine the identity of a person or other animal, and to establish the time and cause of death of an organism, including humans. It then considers how bacteria and viruses use a variety of routes into their hosts and how hosts have evolved barriers and internal mechanisms to combat infections. These protections are not always successful and many people in the world still die from infectious diseases. This topic also investigates the evolutionary battles that take place between invading pathogens and their hosts.

This unit is assessed by means of a written examination paper, which carries 90 marks, lasts 1 hour 30 minutes and will include:
objective questions
structured questions
short-answer questions

and will also cover:
How Science Works
practical-related questions.

So let the 19 day revision thread begin (hopefully soon!:p: )

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
First topic (going in an orderly fashion):

Photosynthesis

The spec say we need to:

Describe the structure of chloroplasts in relation to their role in photosynthesis.

Describe the overall reaction of photosynthesis as requiring energy from light to split apart the strong bonds in water molecules, storing the hydrogen in a fuel (glucose) by combining it with carbon dioxide and releasing oxygen into the atmosphere.

Describe the light-dependent reactions of photosynthesis including how light energy is trapped by exciting electrons in chlorophyll and the role of these electrons in generating ATP, and reducing NADP in hotophosphorylation and producing oxygen through photolysis of water.

Describe how phosphorylation of ADP requires energy and how hydrolysis of ATP provides an immediate supply of energy for biological processes.

Describe the light-independent reactions as reduction of carbon dioxide using the products of the light-dependent reactions (carbon fixation in the Calvin cycle, the role of GP, GALP, RuBP and RUBISCO) & describe the products as simple sugars that are used by plants, animals and other organisms in respiration and the synthesis of new biological molecules (including polysaccharides, amino acids, lipids and nucleic acids).
Reply 2
Hi, im doing this exam too & i really need an A. Did you do this exam in June?
Reply 3
Why didn't you just post this in the original thread? The mods will just merge your thread with the original (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=25492489#post25492489).
Reply 4
my_anon
Hi, im doing this exam too & i really need an A. Did you do this exam in June?

Hey, errm yes i did do it in Jan :confused:. Im hoping for an A this time around :p:. PM and we can go through the spec and share revision notes. I think we are the only ones doing this exam on the 16th!
Reply 5
I am doing it too :frown:
Reply 6
xxsaraxx7
I am doing it too :frown:

Dont worry we can support eachother!:console:
Join the other thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=25493537#post25493537
Reply 7
Hi all, im going to be settin for biology p.4 after a couple of dayz.....& little bit worried....any1 has an idea of wut is expected to come in the exam?
Reply 8
anyone got june 2009 paper? i cant seem to find it
Reply 9
tomorroww!!!
Reply 10
May i know if anyone got the pastpaper for unit 4 in 2009?? I'm unable to find it on the net D:
I wish I didn't opt to retake this exam!
Reply 12
Anyone got the 6BIO4 January mark scheme? Would be a big help!!
Reply 13
effffffft, i found it harder than jan, the exam was so long that i run out of time!!!! all the questions are knowledge based! nth direct !! WTF!!!!
Reply 14
Same I run out of time as well, I think questions were relatively easy but there was too many of them, I didn't answer whole 2 questions this makes me lose about 25 marks lost already. so maximum I could get if my other answers were all correct is 50 marks of 75, but I'm expecting around 40 out of 75, which hopefully will give me a C.
it is out of 90 not 75 i think so you should be further up than that grades wise.
Reply 16
are we allowed to discuss?
did not realise we are not allowed to discuss yet so i have delted my comment
Reply 18
well, i hate all edexcel exams, nth text based, how much at least out of 90 , i should achieve for an A in such bloody exam lol?
Reply 19
why are we not allowed to talk about it yet :\
i don't quite know what to think of that exam..i thought it was easier than Jan but still crappily worded

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending