The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cobrabite11
Just wondering if I could go along to the university and sit in and listen to a lecture on a few topics that interest me. Is this possible? Will I get thrown out? I am only in high school and not in the actually university. This applies to Newcastle University.

I was also wondering about this, also about newcastle what lecture(subject) are you wanting to go into?
Reply 21
me...x
How did you know when and where the lectures for your prospective course were?
It's an awesome idea just to sneak in, it probably gives a better idea than standing around at an open day...

Our department's webpage on the university site actually puts up the physical timetables of lectures for each year for all the modules so anyone could easily get ours off there and come down and sit in. After a year there, there's still people who walk in and I think.. are they on my course I've never seen them before! You get to recognise a lot of faces after awhile but there's always some who you rarely see.

As long as a register isn't taken, and it's a big enough group you could probably get away with it, especially since universities are open for anyone to walk in to...
Reply 22
me...x
How did you know when and where the lectures for your prospective course were?
It's an awesome idea just to sneak in, it probably gives a better idea than standing around at an open day...

Look up their timetable on their university site.

Here are the timetables for Maths at the Uni of Manchester :p:
http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/ugstudies/timetables/index.html
You could just wander in and no one would even notice, unless you looked really young...
Reply 24
orionmoo
Our department's webpage on the university site actually puts up the physical timetables of lectures for each year for all the modules so anyone could easily get ours off there and come down and sit in. After a year there, there's still people who walk in and I think.. are they on my course I've never seen them before! You get to recognise a lot of faces after awhile but there's always some who you rarely see.

As long as a register isn't taken, and it's a big enough group you could probably get away with it, especially since universities are open for anyone to walk in to...

Thankyou :smile: I think I'm going to give it a go, might make it easier for me to compare uni's since I have no idea where I want to apply...
You could go to lectures here at Lancaster. No one would ever find out.
Craig_D
Hello Academic :biggrin:

Yes, you can. Especially Oxbridge, which are defined as public events, anyone can sit in.

Hi there. :smile:

Really? :puppyeyes: Damn, I wish I lived near Oxbridge.

That's truly amazing - I never knew Oxbridge lectures were public events.

So, in theory, you could be living in Cambridge and still go to every lecture there? :eek:
Reply 27
Craig_D
The lecture timetables are often public on the uni site.

Here's mine! http://uiwwwsci01.ad.nottingham.ac.uk:8004/reporting/Individual;department;id;000109%0D%0A?days=1-5&weeks=1-52&periods=3-20&template=SWSCUST+department+Individual&height=100&week=100

You check the time, week date (which you can verify from their semester calendar, also likely on the site). Look at the building name abbreviation, find its full name, look it up on the campus map, and then you go there!

WOW! That is amazing, I have looked for that on the Newcastle website but can't seem to find one.

If any economics students at Newcastle have one please email it to me or post it here! Would be much appreciated!
Reply 28
PhilosophyIsMyGame
I was also wondering about this, also about newcastle what lecture(subject) are you wanting to go into?

Economics or Law. Mainly economics.
Reply 29
im so academic
Hi there. :smile:

Really? :puppyeyes: Damn, I wish I lived near Oxbridge.

That's truly amazing - I never knew Oxbridge lectures were public events.

So, in theory, you could be living in Cambridge and still go to every lecture there? :eek:

Presumably, yep. The only problem is that they wouldn't recognise you as a student, and wouldn't let you sit their exams.

However, if you save up 15k or so, you could take 3 years out, head off to Trinity College, look up their Maths timetable starting at first year, and spend the next 3 years doing the course :p:

Imagine telling the friends you've had for 3 years on the day before your finals "Oh, I was never actually a student here ...".
It's definitely possible, no one would care (at all). Unless you were going to a lecture where it's a very small class no one would even notice.

When I was at uni I sometimes would go to film and TV screenings/lectures so I could watch films.
Reply 31
I do it all the time when I go to visit my bf at Warwick, although as it's maths, I don't understand a word of it :P
Cobrabite11
Just wondering if I could go along to the university and sit in and listen to a lecture on a few topics that interest me. Is this possible? Will I get thrown out? I am only in high school and not in the actually university. This applies to Newcastle University.

what you're best doing is asking someone who goes to the university what the security is like, you could very easily do it forlectures on my course at manchester, but you would have to actually know when the lectures took place
Reply 33
Actually, here's an anecdote that should ease your minds.

My friend Andy from my course (he's 31, the oldest on the course) decided to bring his 60-70 year old parents along to a lecture, so we were all sat there on the back row and they kept laughing at my other friend Dan as he was reading a book instead of listening. They were the last to leave and I think they actually stopped and had a chat with the lecturer at the end :lol: Nobody cares!
I wanted to do this/check colleges properly when I was in Oxford for a while but my parents were following us round :frown:
would anyone have the timetables for the medicine lectures at SGUL...

please PM me if you do :biggrin:

There is 1 problem though...what happens if you get asked a question...you blatantly will not have any idea about it...
Craig_D
Presumably, yep. The only problem is that they wouldn't recognise you as a student, and wouldn't let you sit their exams.

However, if you save up 15k or so, you could take 3 years out, head off to Trinity College, look up their Maths timetable starting at first year, and spend the next 3 years doing the course :p:

Imagine telling the friends you've had for 3 years on the day before your finals "Oh, I was never actually a student here ...".

So, in theory, if one does not get into Oxbridge - you could still get an "Oxbridge education" without even being admitted as a student?

Why didn't anybody tell me this before? :smile:
Reply 37
im so academic
So, in theory, if one does not get into Oxbridge - you could still get an "Oxbridge education" without even being admitted as a student?

I've been searching the web for proof but can't find anything =/ However it has been sworn to me separately by two people, one of which was a Cambridge student.

Indeed, Oxbridge educated :coma: Spend 3 years at both, and then pick a masters? :awesome: However you won't be Oxbridge qualified :biggrin:
Reply 38
infernalcradle
would anyone have the timetables for the medicine lectures at SGUL...

please PM me if you do :biggrin:

There is 1 problem though...what happens if you get asked a question...you blatantly will not have any idea about it...

I really wouldn't bother if I were you. It adds nothing to your ability at interview or your reasons to wanting to study at the institution etc etc. Nor does it give you an insight into what the course is like. Plus if you tell them at interview you went into one of their lectures they're likely to be a little peed off.

Don't risk it, just get the clinical experience and go to open days instead.
im so academic

You won't get any supervisions/tutorials, so what's the point? :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending