The Student Room Group

uni 2024 I have no idea what to study

I seriously have no idea what I want to do in the future i still haven’t finished writing my personal statement because im not 100% sure on what course I want to study most of my friends have applied for med/dentistry and seem so sure on what they want to do in life and im lost I do english lit history and sociology so law is something I’m considering but I’m still not sure 😭
I've moved your thread to the main applications forum :smile:

You don't necessarily need to have made a decision just yet. Worth bearing in mind that most graduate jobs don't care what subject you studied (including law - the SRA polled solicitors and found half had done a non-law degree first) and also research has found in the UK STEM and non-STEM graduates have similar employment outcomes.

I would recommend focusing on figuring out something of intellectual interest to you that you would be happy studying for three years first and foremost, and for which you have aptitude. Bear in mind also there are lots of subjects available at degree level that you will not have had the chance to study in school. Also most humanities and social sciences degrees don't have any subject requirements.

Think about what it is you find interesting to read about/think about outside of school, and what kinds of work you enjoy doing in school, and look at what degree programmes offer an overlap between them. Then do some reading into those subjects - not just surface level overviews of what the subject contains but actually look at the materials you would be studying in first year on such a degree and consider if they are interesting to you now!

Bear in mind you don't need to make a choice immediately - you have until 25th Jan to submit your application. Also bear in mind it's perfectly reasonable to take a gap year (or two!) and figure out what you want to do while working and earning some money for savings during uni.
Original post by wholesale-shame
I seriously have no idea what I want to do in the future i still haven’t finished writing my personal statement because im not 100% sure on what course I want to study most of my friends have applied for med/dentistry and seem so sure on what they want to do in life and im lost I do english lit history and sociology so law is something I’m considering but I’m still not sure 😭

Hey @wholesale-shame :smile: It can feel really overwhelming trying to figure out what's right for you. My best advice is to do something you love, and do it well. Everything else will work out after that - and you've much more of a good chance and doing well at uni if you enjoy what you're studying. Don't feel pressured or rushed in to making a decision if you're not ready to just yet.

Have you tried visiting any local universities or going to open days? Going along to those and sitting in some random taster lectures and chatting to students might give you an idea of what you like, and also what you don't like :colondollar:

Take your time making the right decision for you.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

As a start, what do you think you would enjoy studying for the next 3 years, or potentially more? Have you looked into apprenticeships as an alternative?

Hi @wholesale-shame,

Don't panic you are certainly not alone in this feeling! Lots of people do not know what they want to study at university right up until the deadline and the majority of people going to uni will not know what career they want to do afterwards. What is important to remember is this decision is not a final one. If you start a course you do not enjoy you can always apply to swap courses or transfer unis or, if that isn't possible, then simply drop out from that course/institution and get some time gaining other experience outside of university life and reapply next year (one year in the long scheme really isn't long and also won't slow your career/ progression) 🙂 Also, the degree you do does not have to have a direct vocational route. For example, I did an English Lit degree and then did a law conversion and now am on the journey to train to become a barrister (I certainly did not know I wanted to be a barrister when I started undergrad and, in fact, I only made the decision in my final year at undergrad and still wasn't 100% sure). I would recommend choosing a subject you already study and really enjoy, or, if you want to try something else then do some research on new topics and see if you can do a taster workshop on this area. Most importantly, don't rush into something just because other people are doing it, you will find what is right for you when it is right 🙂

I hope this helps a bit and good luck!

Sophie
Reply 5
Nowhere does it say that you have to go to Uni - or that you can only go straight from school.

Plan an interesting gap year - travel, sit on some beaches on the other side of the world, and do some thinking.
Life isnt a race.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending