The Student Room Group
How long is a piece of string!? . . .Majority of my work has no less than 15 refs - which include diff sources, ie journals, books, legitimate websites (although I tend not to rely on them as they are not recommended especially in 3rd yr pieces of work).

You ask soooo many questions, do you not talk to people on your course and etc? because the things you ask I would natter about with my course mates . . .rather than asking students on a forum who attend a wide range of universities across the country which has diff. way of doing things.
Reply 2
At least 5 sources

For a good 2.1 or better try 10 or more sources.
Kerny
At least 5 sources

For a good 2.1 or better try 10 or more sources.

5? . . that is an instant fail @ my uni! . . . .My friend use something along those lines and wondered why she failed!
Reply 4
Huh? Are you guys graded based on the quantity of sources used in the essay?
Rinker
Huh? Are you guys graded based on the quantity of sources used in the essay?

At my uni, part of the mark is awarded on thorough research . . using 5 for example would be insufficient, especially when the majority of essays in my 3rd year have been no less than 2000 words!!! . . .
Reply 6
I wrote a 3000 word essay and the references and bibliography went onto two pages. Haven't had the mark back yet - but I usually score 2.1 or above.
The_Goose
I wrote a 3000 word essay and the references and bibliography went onto two pages. Haven't had the mark back yet - but I usually score 2.1 or above.

:yep: same here - two pages of refs . . sometimes I think gawd it's too much, but it's not.
Reply 8
I had 14 references in my end of year foundation essay (2000 words) and that was considered just right.
Reply 9
I got a score of 90 in one of my essays, and a comment "arguably the best first year analysis I have marked in nearly 40 years of teaching" in an essay and used only 3 sources. However, this module didn't need a lot of references because it was all analysis based on a given text.
For a 2000 word essay I use about 20 references so it works out 1 per 100 words. I usually do ok :smile:
Apocalypti
I got a score of 90 in one of my essays, and a comment "arguably the best first year analysis I have marked in nearly 40 years of teaching" in an essay and used only 3 sources. However, this module didn't need a lot of references because it was all analysis based on a given text.

What does your criteria say about references if any?
Reply 12
lalalalalalamember
What does your criteria say about references if any?

I don't think there are any strict criteria, but then again I haven't really looked up all the regulations regarding it.

Latest

Trending

Trending