The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

dirtyoldriver
We do all 5 basic approaches which is one section, basically just an overview of their assumptions and strengths and limitations and various details within them.
Then it's a bigger chapter on the biological approach which is a bit of a nightmare with all sorts of things about neurone structure, brain structure, localisation of function and neurosurgery and genetic basis of behaviour and twin studies but thankfully none of that actually came up :lolwut:
Then there's a chapter on gender development, it goes over gender stereotypes and explanations behind gender development using the approaches. Then research methods which is mostly common sense.

Unit 2 there's options, I'm doing social influence, memory and anxiety disorders but there are 3 others, social cognition perception and autism I think.

I've heard AQA(A) is alot harder! Is it at all similar?

To be honest, yours sounds a lot harder to me!

Unit 1 we do Memory/Attachment/Research Methods
Unit 2 we do Stress/Social Influence/Individual Differences (I think! I'm doing A2 so I've forgotten some :p:)
erm...for the 12 marker I went on about

hodges and tizard
rutter-romanian orphans
bohman and sigvardsson-swedish orphans
skodak and skeels- how kids had IQ boost when with retarded adults
Bifulco- 249 women who were affected by their institutionalisation and were more vulnerable to mental health...

and then obviously all the classic, historical/cultural/sexual bias etc.

for the mode one....was it 6 for kids and 7 for adults

and what were you supposed to put for the non directional hypothesis...I put some crap about adults bieng better than kids
taperjeangirl!
To be honest, yours sounds a lot harder to me!

Unit 1 we do Memory/Attachment/Research Methods
Unit 2 we do Stress/Social Influence/Individual Differences (I think! I'm doing A2 so I've forgotten some :p:)

That sounds kinda similar to ours but with it all mixed up a bit :yep: good thing with the B spec is once you've learnt the approaches at the start they help for so much stuff because often you just have to apply them so you can use the same evaluative points etc.

Learning case studies is the actual bane of my life though, I always get the names confused! It's easy to understand there's just loads and loads to remember.
Reply 83
What did people put for the non-directional hypothesis? i put something like, There will be a difference in the amount of words remembered and the random numbers. Load of ********!:s-smilie:
Reply 84
infernalcradle

for the mode one....was it 6 for kids and 7 for adults

and what were you supposed to put for the non directional hypothesis...I put some crap about adults bieng better than kids

Yes it was

And the non directional is just "There will be a difference between blah blah blah", it doesn't specify the direction of the difference hence 'non-directional' :smile:
*sigh*....I'm soooo skrewed....I have biology tomorrow...starting my revision for that tonight...then I have wednesday to learn all of PSYA2...and I'm gonna pray that the 12 marker isn't on social...on account of us not having a teacher for it...
Reply 86
That was probably one of the hardest Psychology papers I've done, although I did manage to answer all questions... It's just a matter of whether they were correct or not.

In regards to the anxiety question, I wanted to talk about Loftus et al and the weapon focus but didn't see it as being relevant to the context. I did mention how violence can affect the recall (Loftus & Burns) and so similarly the traumatic nature of the event may have effected the recall of the participants. In the same question I contradicted myself by using Cutshall et al (Real life shooting) and supporting it with Yerkes & Dodson (Optimum Anxiety level) which supports the idea that recall may have improved. I did both sided argument but I should have lobbed in flashbulb memory too.

For the institutionalization question, I mentioned Gunnar et al, Tizard & Hodges and O'Connor (same as Rutter). I also did about correlation/Cause & effect... The negative effects of longitudinal studies etc to help with the AO2.

I see many members mentioning researches that I have never heard of and so am a bit apprehensive about my final mark. I didn't have Jan exams but did the same test for a MOCK and was 1 mark away from A. I would've loved the Jan paper but I feel that I probably got a B which is pretty bad news is Psychology is meant to be my strongest subject (Unit 1 anyway) :colondollar:

Do you guys think grade boundaries may be lowered? Seeing as though many here are complaining about how hard it was and my friends in different sixth forms were also complaining about the difficulty of this test. It may just be enough to get me those vital marks.

I had Economics straight after and was absolutely dead so I was delighted that we had Psychology exam first. I basically sacrificed Economics with a half arsed attempt to answer a 25 mark question...

In regards to Unit 2, anything under abnormality and I will completely fail. I can do stress by tomorrow and social is my strongest point in Unit 2 (Milgrim, Asch, Moscovici, Zimbardo, Hewston etc) so I wouldn't mind a 12 marker on that. My Psychology predicted a 12 marker on Social but don't whether she's right or not. But at the moment I have English Lang & Lit to revise for. :frown:

PS - If anyone is interested in helping themselves revise by teaching me about the biological part of stress then your most welcome :biggrin: I know jack all for the chronic/acute stress (Hypothalamus Thingy-Ma-Jig)

Thanks and good luck for Unit 2 :smile:
So, for that question on Anxiety, you had to write about Loftus very briefly (as it was a lab. study and the stimulus text -space shuttle being destroyed- was obviously natural) and therefore you had to talk more on Christiansen et al. who did research on genuine witnesses.

The non-directional hypothesis was:
There will be a significance difference between the recall of children than those of adults. *NOTE! Saying one group will do better than the other makes the hypothesis directional, whereas they asked for non-directional.

I am not sure on the advice to Ali's parents but I think it's to do with Clark&Stewart's study on Nursuries being best of all day care + it depends on the quality of care (Campbell).

Institutionalisation: even though I'm romanian, I FLOPPED. :/
only wrote about Rutter&Rutter and Tizard&Hodges + Evaluation. I don't really think that's enough but yeah, i hope i get at least half the marks.

Tbh, this paper was quite OK compared to the scary past papers I've seen!

Oh and that frequency question and why was it that they chose independent measures design, what did you guys write!? :confused:
Arrghhh ******** i thought it asked for directional. u guys SURE it asked non-directional?

I flopped the 12 mark question too, as well as the study into STM.

What did everyone right about the cognitive interview question

Also wasnt it opportunity sample?

**** i needed an A too boost up my A2 grade :frown:
Reply 89
Nayfeerinna

Oh and that frequency question and why was it that they chose independent measures design, what did you guys write!? :confused:

With independent I always write that's it's quite easy to compare the results between two categories.

Hopefully it's right :colondollar:
Nayfeerinna
So, for that question on Anxiety, you had to write about Loftus very briefly (as it was a lab. study and the stimulus text -space shuttle being destroyed- was obviously natural) and therefore you had to talk more on Christiansen et al. who did research on genuine witnesses.

Wasnt that cognitive interviews :s
Reply 91
itsmyname
Arrghhh ******** i thought it asked for directional. u guys SURE it asked non-directional?

I flopped the 12 mark question too, as well as the study into STM.

What did everyone right about the cognitive interview question

Also wasnt it opportunity sample?

**** i needed an A too boost up my A2 grade :frown:

It was definitely non directional. I knew what a non directional hypothesis... Just didn't know what the main aim of the whole friggin study was :colondollar:

It was volunteer sampling as participants themselves filled in the questionnaire and handed it back meaning that they volunteered to take part in the study.

And about the cognitive interview, I talked about the four basic elements (Despite it saying mentioned at least one. So I wrote about changed perspective, context reinstatement, Report everything and reversed order. As well as taking it place in a well controlled room.
Reply 92
Name two types of day care - what did people put? I put day nursery and childminder. :/
Reply 93
Kerry-Louise123
Did people mention the weapon focus effect in the anxiety one?

Yeah only because I couldn't think of anythign else haha :s-smilie:
Very easy paper i thought, only know that i dropped 2 marks (on the types of daycare).

For the 12 marker i wrote about Tizard and Hodges only (only one we had studied...) but i evaluated it using attrition, temperament hypothesis of the adopted (naturally more sociable whereas others may have been naturally shy), ummm why the restored ones didn't cope when they were older (rejection) and why the children got bullied at school and not at home.

For the anxiety one i wrote about the Yerkes Dodson Law, Weapon Focus (couldn't think of a study though - until now obviously...when its too late) and the violent film where a boy got shot in the face.

The duration of short term memory i put the Trigram Study where people had to recall series of 3 letter consenants after different number of seconds.

Nearly flopped the graph one but got it in the end!:thumbsup:

Think i got an A as i need one to boost up my to be rubbish A2 essays!
Reply 95
Mex
Name two types of day care - what did people put? I put day nursery and childminder. :/

Same.

What advice did you give to Ali? And was Ali a boy or a girl?
Reply 96
Finbar21
Same.

What advice did you give to Ali? And was Ali a boy or a girl?

Oh good :biggrin:

I told Ali's parents they should look for a day care with high quality care (as according to Sylva et al), minimal staff turnover and low staff-to-child ratio.

And Ali is a genderless blob :cool: Although I do have a boy in my year called Ali so I'm going with boy.
Futuro
That was probably one of the hardest Psychology papers I've done, although I did manage to answer all questions... It's just a matter of whether they were correct or not.

In regards to the anxiety question, I wanted to talk about Loftus et al and the weapon focus but didn't see it as being relevant to the context. I did mention how violence can affect the recall (Loftus & Burns) and so similarly the traumatic nature of the event may have effected the recall of the participants. In the same question I contradicted myself by using Cutshall et al (Real life shooting) and supporting it with Yerkes & Dodson (Optimum Anxiety level) which supports the idea that recall may have improved. I did both sided argument but I should have lobbed in flashbulb memory too.

For the institutionalization question, I mentioned Gunnar et al, Tizard & Hodges and O'Connor (same as Rutter). I also did about correlation/Cause & effect... The negative effects of longitudinal studies etc to help with the AO2.

I see many members mentioning researches that I have never heard of and so am a bit apprehensive about my final mark. I didn't have Jan exams but did the same test for a MOCK and was 1 mark away from A. I would've loved the Jan paper but I feel that I probably got a B which is pretty bad news is Psychology is meant to be my strongest subject (Unit 1 anyway) :colondollar:

Do you guys think grade boundaries may be lowered? Seeing as though many here are complaining about how hard it was and my friends in different sixth forms were also complaining about the difficulty of this test. It may just be enough to get me those vital marks.

I had Economics straight after and was absolutely dead so I was delighted that we had Psychology exam first. I basically sacrificed Economics with a half arsed attempt to answer a 25 mark question...

In regards to Unit 2, anything under abnormality and I will completely fail. I can do stress by tomorrow and social is my strongest point in Unit 2 (Milgrim, Asch, Moscovici, Zimbardo, Hewston etc) so I wouldn't mind a 12 marker on that. My Psychology predicted a 12 marker on Social but don't whether she's right or not. But at the moment I have English Lang & Lit to revise for. :frown:

PS - If anyone is interested in helping themselves revise by teaching me about the biological part of stress then your most welcome :biggrin: I know jack all for the chronic/acute stress (Hypothalamus Thingy-Ma-Jig)

Thanks and good luck for Unit 2 :smile:

Hope this helps with the biological part! =] i tried my best lol x
Mex

I put day care then my mind blanked, I spent like 5 minutes at the end of the exam trying to remember but couldn't so just put child care. :o:
Futuro
And about the cognitive interview, I talked about the four basic elements (Despite it saying mentioned at least one. So I wrote about changed perspective, context reinstatement, Report everything and reversed order. As well as taking it place in a well controlled room.

IT was asking for one or more, so i think either write one in loads of detail or 4 in not much detail. I could finish that question either

Latest

Trending

Trending