The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did, I am shocked. I was so prepared. I really love biology, but this was a joke!
Reply 2
ECullen
I did, I am shocked. I was so prepared. I really love biology, but this was a joke!

Arrrgh I know, they focoused tooooooo much on DNA didn't they!??!
Although I was more prepared for it than anything else, I wrote out all my notes on it yesterday so it was freshest in my mind :p:

It was awful though... So many people in my year came out really worried and all :frown:
Reply 3
Leahcar
Arrrgh I know, they focoused tooooooo much on DNA didn't they!??!
Although I was more prepared for it than anything else, I wrote out all my notes on it yesterday so it was freshest in my mind :p:

It was awful though... So many people in my year came out really worried and all :frown:

I know, It was as though we were doing a genetics paper.
how did you work out your amino acids?
and what did you write for "comment on the inheritance of DMD in the two families"?
Reply 4
Baaaah I hated those questions!!
For the amino acids one it was whatever the number was (11,055 or something?) and divided it by 3 (cos 2 bases code for 1 amino acid was my thinking lmao)
And the DMD one I just said how women can carry the gene but don't necessarily suffer from it... And how if a male possesses the gene he will suffer from the disorder because he only has 1 X chromosome etc etc etc......
What about that Labrador one? Jeeez :frown: I confused myself and ended up scoring half of it out because I didn't have time to go back and fix it :frown:
Reply 5
Leahcar
Baaaah I hated those questions!!
For the amino acids one it was whatever the number was (11,055 or something?) and divided it by 3 (cos 2 bases code for 1 amino acid was my thinking lmao)
And the DMD one I just said how women can carry the gene but don't necessarily suffer from it... And how if a male possesses the gene he will suffer from the disorder because he only has 1 X chromosome etc etc etc......
What about that Labrador one? Jeeez :frown: I confused myself and ended up scoring half of it out because I didn't have time to go back and fix it :frown:

what relationship did you get between the two genes? I got epistatis, The cross was like 3 4 9 r sumtin and then the following one i was predicting the genotype. hmm, I though that was ok, but I left the one with the patterns to last 5 mins. Completely frigged it. But your thinking sounds a reasonable explanation.
Please say the boundaries will go down !!
What have you got in other ones? did you repeat any bio?
Do you do CCEA chem?
Reply 6
ECullen
what relationship did you get between the two genes? I got epistatis, The cross was like 3 4 9 r sumtin and then the following one i was predicting the genotype. hmm, I though that was ok, but I left the one with the patterns to last 5 mins. Completely frigged it. But your thinking sounds a reasonable explanation.
Please say the boundaries will go down !!
What have you got in other ones? did you repeat any bio?
Do you do CCEA chem?

I repeated January's module because I got an E in it :frown: But tbh I've done just as badly! lmao
I need 81 UMS or something to that effect to get a b, which is what I need for uni, and that's taking into account my E cos as I said I don't think I've done any better :P lol
And the boundaries HAVE to go down like!! My friend is doing BioMed next year at uni, and she's a complete Biology whizz kid like she's AMAZING and she came out and said "I think I'm gonna cry that was sooo bad" :frown:
And no I don't do chemistry!! haha it sounds completely deadly form a few friends moaning about it all the time :P
Failed It
Reply 8
pinkmonkey3
Failed It

:yep: Saaaaaaaaaaaaame! :gthumb:
Leahcar
:yep: Saaaaaaaaaaaaame! :gthumb:

Most confusing two hours of my life haha :biggrin:
Reply 10
worst 2 hours ever!
awww its so nice to see that people have got the same answers as i did! the essay question was awful! the part of amino acid, or basically protein synthesis was nice! but the second part on ethics, then risk and benefits of GMOs was awful! i know its new spec and all, but they opened with a nice little question, gave us false hope, then raped us with the rest of the paper! was an absolute joke! majorly hoping the grade boundaries go well down for it! so so much genetic work on it! but oh well, its done now! roll on august to we see how we've all done! best of luck guys! and also, yeah i divided that amino acid number by three! got 9,4,3 in the dihybrid and put epistasis! lets hope we were right! haha
Very difficult, irrelevant paper!!!! Rats on Rathlin Island, DMD, well all i can say is WTF! i got the same answer as some of the ppl here, but its like, half of it wasn't on hte specification :frown:!!! On the plus side, wasn't as difficult as Physics, stupid Irrelevant, woeful paper!!!
Reply 13
Guys check out the 357 people who have also added to this.
I know the paper was awful !
I made some silly mistakes, but the brutalness I think compensated to it. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/I-well-passed-A-Level-BiologyLOL-jk-I-did-CCEA-Module-5-on-08062010/103517509697749
i never put that epistasis in my answers, i don't even know what it is??
Reply 15
pinkmonkey3
i never put that epistasis in my answers, i don't even know what it is??

Don't worry it's over now. If your worried, it's a form of gene interaction; like masking of another gene. It was only 1M.
If I think about the amount of 3M and 4M I got wrong...awhhh:frown:
I'm just furiated, even still! To think them S**** have taken away my chance of pursuing my dream of going to med school.
Like last year, the Mod 5 was a piece of P*** !!!
Old spec, don't know how easy it was for them! and they say to us, aw I found that module easy, don't be crying! Well, I'm on a mission next person I know to say that to me; I'm producing the paper!!! and making them answer it!!

Agh, sorry, I'm just so angry.
ECullen
Don't worry it's over now. If your worried, it's a form of gene interaction; like masking of another gene. It was only 1M.
If I think about the amount of 3M and 4M I got wrong...awhhh:frown:
I'm just furiated, even still! To think them S**** have taken away my chance of pursuing my dream of going to med school.
Like last year, the Mod 5 was a piece of P*** !!!
Old spec, don't know how easy it was for them! and they say to us, aw I found that module easy, don't be crying! Well, I'm on a mission next person I know to say that to me; I'm producing the paper!!! and making them answer it!!

Agh, sorry, I'm just so angry.

Aw no really.. you never know, the boundaries may go well down.. fingers crossed. All i need is a B in biology, and hopefully it will average out from last years grade... i hate that it's out of 50 and so like every 5 marks lost marks is like 10% isnt it? :s-smilie: but i feel for u, u need it more for medicine :frown:
Reply 17
pinkmonkey3
Aw no really.. you never know, the boundaries may go well down.. fingers crossed. All i need is a B in biology, and hopefully it will average out from last years grade... i hate that it's out of 50 and so like every 5 marks lost marks is like 10% isnt it? :s-smilie: but i feel for u, u need it more for medicine :frown:

Yea, I need an A in it!!!
the wee S**** like even the girl in my class who got into Cambridge for Medicine, was relying on biology for A* to get in. Now, well she doesn't think that will happen. As when we were asking the teacher for answers we all seemed to get loads wrong!!!
ECullen
Yea, I need an A in it!!!
the wee S**** like even the girl in my class who got into Cambridge for Medicine, was relying on biology for A* to get in. Now, well she doesn't think that will happen. As when we were asking the teacher for answers we all seemed to get loads wrong!!!

actually kinda relieved that loads others found it hard too... thought i was the only one, yeah i know a girl needing it for oxbridge aswell and she thinks she hasn't got her A either
i don't think i even managed to scrape a C in that paper :frown: CCEA need to sort themselves out! what did u put for the moss question?
Reply 19
pinkmonkey3
actually kinda relieved that loads others found it hard too... thought i was the only one, yeah i know a girl needing it for oxbridge aswell and she thinks she hasn't got her A either
i don't think i even managed to scrape a C in that paper :frown: CCEA need to sort themselves out! what did u put for the moss question?

what part of the question??

Latest

Trending

Trending