The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If you can manage Int 2 you can do Higher.

The topics brought up aren't difficult to understand what's going on, its just that many questions in the exam look impossible unless you are familiar with how to approach them.

Also the questions you do in class are probably C level to suit the NABS, and then when you get to the exam they are harder, which is why a lot of people find it hard. So you need to practice with these ones by doing past papers and asking help from your teacher. There is a lot of good youtube channels with maths help as well, and online resources.
Reply 21
JacksterD
I really struggled with higher maths up until around Christmas, but once my parents got me a tutor I started doing really well, went from 58% in the first prelim to 86% in the second one.

If you've got a decent tutor then you should definitely take Higher maths. What are you looking to do after school? Higher maths is a fairly valuable qualification.

I wanted to do business and because its really hard to get into uni nowadays i should have maths as its a important subject................. :smile:
Reply 22
terri55
I got an A in my Int 2 and thought I would do higher in 6th year. For me that was a bad idea, I was never the best at maths and found it really difficult, plus I had the worst teacher ever! In the end I didn't do the exam because I new I would fail (got like 30% in the prelim), but I passed my unit tests. Depends if you really enjoy the subject and are good at it.

Im sort off like you. The teacher i have this year is so bad lol, nobody understands wat the hell he is tlking about? But i am willing to put in effort so i can have a change of passing :smile:
LuhLah
Scottish. :smile:

It depends, if you're logical then it's a breeze, if you're more englishy, it's like being **** in the face by a bird.

This. :yep: But, then imagine that the bird suddenly decides it really doesn't like you and starts trying to peck out your eyes. Then, imagine that God suddenly decides that it should rain salt - right into your tattered eye sockets.... while you discover that someone has run over your pet dog/cat/hamster.

That was what Higher Maths was like for me.

(Englishy person speaking here.)
Reply 24
ViolentlyViolet
This. :yep: But, then imagine that the bird suddenly decides it really doesn't like you and starts trying to peck out your eyes. Then, imagine that God suddenly decides that it should rain salt - right into your tattered eye sockets.... while you discover that someone has run over your pet dog/cat/hamster.

That was what Higher Maths was like for me.

(Englishy person speaking here.)

Yeah, it kinda pisses me off when people say 'Omg it's so easy, stfu' cos some people do find maths naturally hard. I found it ok, but I bombed the final :mmm: :s-smilie:
LuhLah
Yeah, it kinda pisses me off when people say 'Omg it's so easy, stfu' cos some people do find maths naturally hard. I found it ok, but I bombed the final :mmm: :s-smilie:

I know! God, I'm not stupid; I just need to count with my fingers... :teehee: Don't know how I did in the final. For some reason I did better than I expected in the prelim (a B) - it's just inexplicable; sometimes I actually do okay.

Doesn't mean I really got the course at all. :p: Que sera.
Reply 26
ViolentlyViolet
I know! God, I'm not stupid; I just need to count with my fingers... :teehee: Don't know how I did in the final. For some reason I did better than I expected in the prelim (a B) - it's just inexplicable; sometimes I actually do okay.

Doesn't mean I really got the course at all. :p: Que sera.

2bh i am not a maths person either but i think u need the motivation to be able to do it and working hard at home aswell, i just want a C haha and i will be cheeeesing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: Good luck to every1 who are getting their results in August btw!
dude187
I did higher maths after int GCSE in yr 9 and 10. I thought I'd coast it but mate, it is hands down THE MOST DIFFICULT paper of every GCSE. I'm not trying to put you off but even being as good as I was, of our set being top set, only 8 people were selected of which the potential A* being 5 of us candidates had an extra class friday afternoons.

I hope that gives you an idea, I got a C in my GCSE exam in yr 9

Um. Confused? Are you talking about moving from England to do Highers or are you talking about some kind of higher thing in England? (Feeling like a total fail right now, seeing as I'm English, but I've spent all but one of my school years in Scotland, so I'm fairly clueless)
Reply 28
NaturalDisaster
Um. Confused? Are you talking about moving from England to do Highers or are you talking about some kind of higher thing in England? (Feeling like a total fail right now, seeing as I'm English, but I've spent all but one of my school years in Scotland, so I'm fairly clueless)

From my understanding, as Standard Grades are split into Credit, General and Foundation, GCSEs are split into Higher and Foundation.
Armaros
From my understanding, as Standard Grades are split into Credit, General and Foundation, GCSEs are split into Higher and Foundation.

Ok. That makes sense. I just looked at their post and was like "Wtf have GCSEs got to do with this?" Because I'm a silly person :s-smilie:
Reply 30
NaturalDisaster
Ok. That makes sense. I just looked at their post and was like "Wtf have GCSEs got to do with this?" Because I'm a silly person :s-smilie:

Yeah, they're just another poor lost soul, eternally wandering through the limbo of ScotQuals, trying their best to help but cursed that nobody will ever understand their answers...

:frown:
Armaros
Yeah, they're just another poor lost soul, eternally wandering through the limbo of ScotQuals, trying their best to help but cursed that nobody will ever understand their answers...

:frown:

Haha. :biggrin: English things seem to have no relevancy here (The SQ forum, I mean). GCSEs and SGs can't really be compared because they're different, same as A-levels and Highers/AHs

Latest

Trending

Trending