The Student Room Group

GCSE Geography 9 mark questions????

They have these on every exam I just want know:

What do you get the marks for?
How should you go about answering them?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Look at the mark scheme.

I've got an example from my mock where I got 8/9 so I can type that up.
Reply 2
tehforum
Look at the mark scheme.

I've got an example from my mock where I got 8/9 so I can type that up.

Thanks a lot, yeah if you could that'd be really great! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Describe the advantages and disadvantages of multinationals to LEDCs. (9 marks)

Multinationals may bring new jobs to the surrounding area, increasing employment rates. The multinationals may bring capital for the surrounding area of industry, therefore pumping more money into the local economy. Also, they might bring skill and new technology to the LEDCs, this may include things like hi-tech electronics which can assembled fairly cheaply. They bring new hopes for the unemployed, people can be put into training schemes so even an uneducated person can still do work in the light manufacturing areas. Transport may be can issue, so the company may provide company buses for those who cannot afford to commute, or live too far away from the work area.

Disadvantages: Pollution can be devastating to the local environment, some companies leave untreated waste and dump it into the rivers, making the river dead. Lack of health and safety is also a big issue for the works as some companies are only interested in maximising their profit, therefore some workers can by injured or even killed. But, the health and safety laws in LEDCs are relaxed so they may influence TNCs to migrate to LEDCs because of less money having to be spent on safety locks for the machines, or even simple things like goggles. Also, people who do work for the multinationals are being exploited for a very little wage, compared to the wage in MEDCs. In addition, some companies force unpaid overtime because they have not finished their allocated work for the day.
Obadetona
They have these on every exam I just want know:

What do you get the marks for?
How should you go about answering them?

I'm not really sure about geography, however we had the same thing in business..

If you tell me what types of questions they give you I might be able to help you...
Reply 5
Thanks loads tehforum that helped so much!

Xx.MissEG.xX
I'm not really sure about geography, however we had the same thing in business..

If you tell me what types of questions they give you I might be able to help you...

Well here's one:

For a natural hazard you have studied, name and locate the event. With reference to specific place detail, describe the physical processes that caused the hazard and how humans have affected it.
Reply 6
No problem, but I think I'm doing a different specification.

Which one are you doing?
Reply 7
I'm doing Specification C: Bristol Project. Will it make that much of a difference as to how they mark it?
Obadetona
Thanks loads tehforum that helped so much!

Well here's one:

For a natural hazard you have studied, name and locate the event. With reference to specific place detail, describe the physical processes that caused the hazard and how humans have affected it.

Hmm, no that's quite different, sorry. But what you could do is go on the website of your board and look at the mark scheme, find the 9 mark question and see what kind of things they are looking for..

What we did for business was:
Define the term
Give advantages
Give disadvantages
Choose the best one and give a reason

The types of questions we got were: What method of advertising would you advise them to use and why??

I hope I was at least some help...
Reply 9
I actually hate 9 mark questions! you are talking about the OCR geog right? with the 2 2 6 6 9 mark sections = 25 marks?

9 markers are case study questions.

You HAVE to locate the case study..

for example, the question may be: with reference to a named country that you have studied where population is changing:
1) describe pop distrubition
2) explain thi distrubition

So what you would do you would have to locate the country, and literaly do those 2 things and do them well :smile:

You get a mark for like the reason/ point and then some for development (like PEE) link back to the question..use case specific detail

e.g. The north is sparesely populated in Hokkadio due to climate. Hokkadio is futhur away from the equator and suffers from cold ocean current called 'The Parent'. This makes people decide to live their as they would much rather prefer the South of Japan, Kagoshima (Kyushu) As its much warmer and therefeore better to settle.

So the climate bit is a point, and the development of the ocean curents and latitude etc is another couple of points. Cos its specific to Japan yo pick up a few marks too. So you need a few points like that 3 i would say to bes safe and your fine.

That seems all good but its a pain when you have 40 case studies :| as you have to remember details and locations for every 1 :frown:
Reply 10
I'm not quite sure how you got 8 for that
Original post by Joe99
I'm not quite sure how you got 8 for that

Using examples/case studies helps a lot, they did when I did my GCSE exams at least :smile:
Hello I am a geography student and in my mock I got an A* and this is the format I used to ensure top band marks
describe....
paragraph 1= Introduction (1-2 lines)
paragraph 2= Argument (3-4 lines) if you can try and use SEE(social, economical, environmental)
whereas...
paragraph 3= On the other hand.... Contrasting opinion (3-4 lines) if you can try and use SEE(social, economical, environmental)
paragraph 4= Conclude (1-3 lines)
And try to use peel or pee all over your work
Original post by shivdhanani
Hello I am a geography student and in my mock I got an A* and this is the format I used to ensure top band marks
describe....
paragraph 2= Argument (3-4 lines) if you can try and use SEE(social, economical, environmental)
whereas...
paragraph 3= On the other hand.... Contrasting opinion (3-4 lines) if you can try and use SEE(social, economical, environmental)

This is exactly what my teacher taught us, she told us to do it in the format of DADA
D = Define
A = Agree
D = Disagree
A = Agree
pretty much what your format is like with the PEEL paragraphs as well.
Hi, I'm in year 13 now (I want to do geography at uni and got an A* at GCSE 😊) but I did OCR GCSE geography which also had 9 mark questions. My teachers always stressed the importance of developing each point really well - i.e. it's better to mention fewer points but really explain the ones you do mention in as much depth as possible, integrating case studies. Try to give a balanced argument with a conclusion as well. Keep practising them, there is definitely a technique
Reply 15
Original post by shivdhanani
describe....
whereas...

OP i recommend the above (exactly what i did for my gcse geography)
also the difference between getting 6-7/9 and 8-9/9 on tese questions is reliant on your use of examples/statistics and case studies. make sure you use a case study or example even if the question doesn't ask for one. and when you use the case study try to mention specifics (specific locations, times/ dates, statistics/figures (i.e. number of people killed, number of buildings destroyed, cost of rebuilding, amount of aid received- that sort of thing)). this will make your example more meaningful to the examiner and also will demonstrate that you know your case study well.
don't worry about remembering the exact figures e.g. if 7547 people were killed in an earthquake it is fine to round this to 7500 or even 7000 as in the real world the death toll for these kind of disasters is never 100% accurate, same with other statistics. just as long as you keep it realistic and don't say something like 3 million people died then its fine to do that
this is the question we practised in school in geography please could anyone help me with this for one of your geography enquiries to what extent were results of this enquiry helpful in reaching a reliable conclusion (9 marks) as i dont get what the question is asking me
Provide a brief introduction into what the inquiry was about or summarize results etc.- this would be your introduction. Evaluate your results in terms of disadvantages and advantages,linking it back to how the results do or don't provide a reliable conclusion.(e.g looking at how the results could be biased because of methodology) - this would be your main bodyGive your final verdict that is detailed on whether the results are reliable, weighing up both advantages and disadvantages. - this would be your conclusion. Don't forget to include statistics/figures from your results to use as evidence and to get higher marks.
in some exams you also will have to name one of your case-studies
(edited 6 years ago)
I have a question for you. With reference to your methods, results and conclusions, suggest how one of your geographical enquiries could be involved. (9 marks) ( SPaG 3 marks) use peel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending