The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beezee
I got a 3rd in Law as well and I'd appreciate it if you could give more details as to how and in which department he secured a job.

Thanks.

He worked for the DWP but that's all I know.
Reply 81
My dad got a 3rd in Mathematics but has a decent job at the Ministry of Justice.
Reply 82
Original post by psychocustard
He worked for the DWP but that's all I know.

Not through grad scheme (fast stream) entry they didn't.

But a standard job sure.
Original post by Pi!
My dad got a 3rd in Mathematics but has a decent job at the Ministry of Justice.

I like how people say this sort of stuff without claiming the year and university of graduation.

A 3rd class degree in mathematics from Anglia Ruskin in 2010 is far different from a 3rd class degree from Cambridge in 1972.

News flash: education was harder and of a higher value in the past, especially in sciences like mathematics. It required true genius to be able to do a degree in mathematics from any university in the UK, let alone Oxford/Cambridge.

Frankly, if I'd been born in the 1970's I'd have barely been able to finish my maths A level. I've seen the papers, they're brutal. As it is, I'm on track for a first class degree. Shows how hard it was back then, and how proud anyone should be with even passing a maths degree from those times.
Original post by Quady
Not through grad scheme (fast stream) entry they didn't.

But a standard job sure.

Nope, it was a standard job.
OP, do you understand that unless he obtained an extremely prestigious scholarship he's going to have to pay the full tuition fees which are soon to be around £9k/annum, in addition to living expenses over three years, which should come to a grand total of approximately £50,000.

Being depressed or lonely are not excuses for getting a 3rd. If he had genuine mitigating circumstances like family problems, illness or financial difficulties then it should have been taken into account...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 86
To be honest due to the plans that I have..... I would need to cry and then repeat it again in order to fulfill the route I intend.
Original post by wanderlust.xx
A 3rd class degree in mathematics from Anglia Ruskin in 2010 is far different from a 3rd class degree from Cambridge in 1972.

You can't do a maths degree at ARU. I realise that's not the point you're making, just wanted to add to your own knowledge. :smile:
Original post by psychocustard
My friend has a third class honours in law, and funnily enough, the world hasn't ended for him. He has a decent job in the civil service, and he's doing absolutely fine. He wishes he'd worked a little harder, sure - especially as he was only 3% away from a 2:2 - but he's quite happy with the way things have turned out in the end.

do you know how he got his job and was it a graduate job or just a normal job?
Actually third class doesn’t affect anything !!! It’s just a degree and you did it !!! You should be proud and motivated rather than worries!!! Go out be brave and find a job !!! You performance matters for your uplifting not your marks!!! Grow up!!!
Don't be ridiculous! A Third class degree is still a degree, higher than other qualifications. It doesn't mean that you messed around, people have difficulties, dyslexia, autism, mental health. To get a degree despite such problems is a credit to the person. Why people are being such negative dicks on here surprises me. People can get good jobs regardless of grade of degree. Grow up!
Original post by Jenchanted
Don't be ridiculous! A Third class degree is still a degree, higher than other qualifications. It doesn't mean that you messed around, people have difficulties, dyslexia, autism, mental health. To get a degree despite such problems is a credit to the person. Why people are being such negative dicks on here surprises me. People can get good jobs regardless of grade of degree. Grow up!

The thread is 8 years old. Dont bump dead threads.

Latest

Trending

Trending