The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

Rounding up final degree grades

Hello,

Does anyone know if the University of Lincoln round up final grades? I've had a look at the handbooks but there doesn't seem to be any reference to rounding up or down.

So, for example, if I finished with a complete average of 69.1% or 69.5% would either of these be rounded up to 70%? Any answers would be appreciated
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

Does anyone know if the University of Lincoln round up final grades? I've had a look at the handbooks but there doesn't seem to be any reference to rounding up or down.

So, for example, if I finished with a complete average of 69.1% or 69.5% would either of these be rounded up to 70%? Any answers would be appreciated

Anyone who's that close to grade boundary will likely have all their grades scrutinised by the course board. So hopefully, you'd end up being in the higher band.
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Hiya,

Do you mean when you are studying at the university? I am not entirely sure but I haven’t known this to be the case in my course personally. However, if you would like to get a firm answer you could email [email protected] and they can offer you further guidance:smile:

Harriet
2nd year biomedical science student @ university of lincoln
Original post by UniOfLincolnStudent
Hiya,

Do you mean when you are studying at the university? I am not entirely sure but I haven’t known this to be the case in my course personally. However, if you would like to get a firm answer you could email [email protected] and they can offer you further guidance:smile:

Harriet
2nd year biomedical science student @ university of lincoln

Hi Harriet

I emailed them over a month ago and never received a reply, which is why I has to resort to asking on here. I'm a third year student and around the 69-70% average so I'm frustrated and anxious about if I'll be rounded up or down.
Hi HarrietI emailed them over a month ago and never received a reply, which is why I has to resort to asking on here. I'm a third year student and around the 69-70% average so I'm frustrated and anxious about if I'll be rounded up or down.

Hello,

I am hoping I can provide a bit more clarity on this as this questions was recently asked within my own course and this is the response we got given which has been taken from the 'Undergraduate Awards - Assessment Regulations General Practice' on page 22.

"B.2 Calculation of Bachelor Degree Honours Where a student has been awarded a total of 360 credit points with 240 credits at Levels 2 and 3 and at least 120 at Level 3, then the Board of Examiners shall award the student an honours degree based on the most favourable outcome from the following three algorithms described:
Calculating the weighted mean of all Level 3 module marks
Calculating the weighted median of all Level 3 module marks
Calculating the weighted mean of all Level 2 and Level 3 module marks
23 The Board of Examiners shall confer classifications as follows: First Class Honours 70% or over Upper Second Class Honours 60% or over Lower Second Class Honours 50% or over Third Class Honours 40% or over In making these calculations appropriate weighting shall be given to the credit point value of the modules included and the result rounded up to the next whole number."

Hope that helps provide you with some more clarity around your final mark but if you do have any further questions I would recommend getting in touch with your Personal Tutor or your Programme Leader.

Good luck!!

Megan
Y3 BA Education Student
(edited 1 year ago)
Op here.

Just incase anyone comes across this post in the future with the same question, I now have the answer after receiving my results.

As of 2022 graduates, they now round up from x.5% and above. If you get, for example, 69.4% you won't be rounded up.

I happily got 69.6% so I will be graduating with a first :smile:
Op here.

Just incase anyone comes across this post in the future with the same question, I now have the answer after receiving my results.

As of 2022 graduates, they now round up from x.5% and above. If you get, for example, 69.4% you won't be rounded up.

I happily got 69.6% so I will be graduating with a first :smile:

Hi OP,

Thank you for coming back to the thread. Congratulations on achieving your first - what an amazing achievement!

Wishing you the very best of luck with your next venture :smile:

Olivia - University of Lincoln Rep
I think as well as the rounding up from x.05, if you're within 2% of the next grade boundary your grade will be reviewed to see if you can be moved up ✌️

Quick Reply

Latest