The Student Room Group
we can't say, its your reflective piece of writing..plus, you're going to have to back up WHY you think you froze with appropiate literature in your analysis, and you can't exactly quote us can you
JoannaM
Hi guys new to the website really wish I found it earlier!
Ok im doing a reflection on a critical incident and mine is on the fact that i totally froze in A+E when a patient came in, in cardiac arrest.
Now does any one agree that i could of froze due to the fact of that fight, flight or freeze theory?

Why do you think that you 'froze'? Did you know what to do? Were you capable of doing it? Did anyone actually want you to do anything? Or were you simply an observer while more qualified staff got on with the business?

Instead of finding a theory to fit, why not concentrate on what actually happened?
puddlejumper
Why do you think that you 'froze'? Did you know what to do? Were you capable of doing it? Did anyone actually want you to do anything? Or were you simply an observer while more qualified staff got on with the business?

Instead of finding a theory to fit, why not concentrate on what actually happened?

clearly never done a reflective essay in your life lol
Subcutaneous
clearly never done a reflective essay in your life lol

I have done hundreds, sweetie. And I've found it always helps to establish exactly what happened rather than finding a theory and then fitting what happened to the theory. Though I guess from looking at your reflection on here that you do it the same way as the OP. Sometimes none of the theories fit and it all ends up as simply naval gazing.

In other words, look for a theory to make you look as though everything that you or the other staff involved did was perfect and justify your behaviour so that you come out smelling of roses - meantime the poor patient has to make do with being labelled violent and agressive - rather than simply confused after an anaesthetic!

Perhaps you should look at reflections as a means of actually learning what to do in similar cases rather than simply doing a whitewash job on yourself. That isn't their purpose after all. You should be concentrating on what actually happened and why it happened. Were you properly equipped to deal with the situation and if you weren't how can you change and learn so that next time you do better.

Your reflections are a waste of paper because all you do is justify yourself and your behaviour, stick a bit of theory in and don't say what you've learned or what you need to do for the future. In other words a completely pointless exercise.
puddlejumper
I have done hundreds, sweetie. And I've found it always helps to establish exactly what happened rather than finding a theory and then fitting what happened to the theory. Though I guess from looking at your reflection on here that you do it the same way as the OP. Sometimes none of the theories fit and it all ends up as simply naval gazing.

In other words, look for a theory to make you look as though everything that you or the other staff involved did was perfect and justify your behaviour so that you come out smelling of roses - meantime the poor patient has to make do with being labelled violent and agressive - rather than simply confused after an anaesthetic!

Perhaps you should look at reflections as a means of actually learning what to do in similar cases rather than simply doing a whitewash job on yourself. That isn't their purpose after all. You should be concentrating on what actually happened and why it happened. Were you properly equipped to deal with the situation and if you weren't how can you change and learn so that next time you do better.

Your reflections are a waste of paper because all you do is justify yourself and your behaviour, stick a bit of theory in and don't say what you've learned or what you need to do for the future. In other words a completely pointless exercise.

A reflection and a reflective essay are two different things, and even a reflection to get a higher mark and increase level of understanding in your analysis you need to back it up with references and literature, I know what the assignment the OP is doing, im doing it right now and I suspect she/he is in the cohort above me- and this is a reflective ESSAY, if you just put your wishy washy emotions down without any hard literature, it'll be a bog standard 1st year essay and would probably scrape a 40%
Subcutaneous
A reflection and a reflective essay are two different things, and even a reflection to get a higher mark and increase level of understanding in your analysis you need to back it up with references and literature, I know what the assignment the OP is doing, im doing it right now and I suspect she/he is in the cohort above me- and this is a reflective ESSAY, if you just put your wishy washy emotions down without any hard literature, it'll be a bog standard 1st year essay and would probably scrape a 40%

If you could read you would understand that I did not say to just put wishy washy emotions. I said to identify what actually happened, identify the learning opportunities for the future and include the appropriate theoretical basis. I didn't say omit the theory all together.

That's a huge difference from selecting a theory at random and making the circumstances fit the theory so that it becomes a whitewash where you did everything that you could and don't need to make changes in the future. As I said earlier a complete waste of time.
Reply 7
Thank you, i've taking on both your ideas and now know what to do :biggrin:

Latest