The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Actually, since becoming a vegetarian several months ago I've been surprised at the amount of meat-eaters who try to convert me.

It normally gets mentioned as a triviality like when somebody offers me chicken nuggets or something. (Just for example.)
I try not to make a big deal of it but I think people feel very defensive when they find out - a friend of mine started interrogating me on why I am veggie, aggressively stating her views and how much she really loves eating meat and won't ever stop because she "just loves a big juicy steak".
It was like she was doing her best to provoke me into a vegetarian-rant so she could point the finger and go "Look, see, this is how stupid/crazy vegetarians are!"

I mean, that's cool and all but I don't go around saying "MM-MMM, bean burger. Cannot be beaten. If you were a veggie, you'd have chosen this right now. If only you were as awesome at life as me, you might have eaten this. Stupid cow killer. The cows are judging you right now." =/
I eat meat because it makes me thusly.

:coma:

I've had a few vegan/veggies telling me I'm cruel/destroying society/using the world's resources etc to which the reply is simply go and **** yourself.

I'll eat meat.

You don't eat meat.

let's all be happy!
There's more of a problem with meat-eaters trying to get vegetarians to eat meat. I've never seen a vegetarian try and preach their views on anyone, but whenever someone realises I'm a vegetarian they HAVE to tell me I'm a weirdo/am going to die or try and shove bits of chicken in my face.

There are so many double standards from meat eaters it's untrue :p:
I have no patience whatsoever with vegetarians who try to convert me. I kind of want to be a vegetarian, and most of the vegetarians I know are great people who leave me alone. Except for one of my best friends, who obviously I see nearly all the time. She is a nightmare! If I eat anything with meat or gelatine in it she starts screaming about SPLEENS! and FLESH!, and then listing loads of different organs. Do you converters have any idea how off-putting that is? Especially for someone who is totally creeped out by organs. Gross-making. So as far as how long it would take me before I got fed up of it, I've been fed up for so long now I can't remember a time I didn't lose my temper at it. I suppose there was a bit of double standards when I threw a piece of ham at her, but what else was I meant to do when she threw it at my face? Literally? My patience only goes so far, and that's not a very long distance at all any more. :frown: The argument that really annoys me is when she's like "I'm going to live ten years longer than you because I don't eat me." and I looked at her and said "You eat as much chocolate as I do! You are not healthy so stop getting all high and mighty."

I suppose you could say I have trouble controlling my temper...but we don't argue about that now she's become a total health freak and eats cereal bars and weird fruit bars which smell amazing, but literally look like poo and taste awful as well. My friends all enjoy teasing her about that. But they all get on at me whenever I eat chocolate that I'm probably going to become diabetic by the time I'm like, 30. Sadly I have to agree, so it's all a laugh. My sugar addiction is getting ridiculous.
We should discuss this over a cheeseburger. It's okay, it's only cheese.
Reply 45
It annoys me when they say that liking meat isn't a valid enough reason.

Just because I eat meat doesn't mean I agree with battery hens et al, but I like the taste so I eat it.

No one ever asks me the moral implications of The Sims. I play it because I enjoy it...
Reply 46
I'd just show them my canine teeth and carry on.

If they carry on, slap em round the face with a raw steak.
Well, I would only really accept a veggie imposing their views on me if they were a meat-eating veggie. Ok that didn't make much sense. Let me explain...
There are 2 main views someone may choose to be vegetarian (of the people I know who are veggie anyway). They may claim to care about the ethics of eating animals, or that they simply don't want to eat meat.

If simply don't want to eat meat is the main issue, then the person will not eat meat. Ever. If at all avoidable. Even if it causes harm to animals to not eat meat, they will continue this diet.

If ethics of harming animals is the main issue, then the person will be happy to consume by-products of animals (that would otherwise go to waste) rather than consuming an equivalent from a plantation. They will also be very careful in what foods they consume, or other products they use, so that they don't use products that are more harmful than necessary (things that take up a large amount of plantation space etc.)

So far, I have never met anyone of the latter, but there must be some out there.

I like my meat too much, so I won't become vegetarian and more ethical. Vegetarians dislike their meat too much, so won't become more ethical and eat meat in certain circumstances.

Neither position is the best ethically, so we should agree to disagree. That is why I would not tolerate a vegetarian claiming to have the moral high ground. I don't have it; but they don't either.
My piano teacher (a meat-eater) once tried to convince me that it is morally wrong to eat meat. That was strange. She also claimed that all the main religions forbade it.
I used to be in a couple of classes with a lad at my school (up to year 11) and he was quite 'extreme' in his views, he's vegetarian, I think he is Buddhist, he boycotts coca cola and mcdonalds, argued against animal testing and cruelty and I think he would say was pacifistic (he sort of protested when the army came to our school) amongst other things.

And to be honest I enjoyed debating with him about his views, especially about shooting and eating meat, but he never said "you shouldn't eat meat". If he did I would get pissed off, but a bit of debate was fun.
Reply 50
I don't mind it when vegetarians say why they don't want to eat meat, I respect their views. And I don't mind eating veggie meals from time to time if they're cooking the meal for me. However, I wouldn't like it if they tried to force me to not eat meat. I wouldn't force a vegetarian to eat meat. I wouldn't mind cooking veggie meals, but I need my meat! I would miss things like steak and roast lamb too much. :sigh:
KitCat93
I also can't stand veggie's that wear leather shoes.

What if their vegetarianism isn't based on ethical grounds? Someone that doesn't eat meat because they don't like meat is able to wear leather shoes without hypocrisy - it's not like they're putting their shoes into their mouth (hope not, anyway... :s-smilie:)
My girlfriends a veggie, she doesn't impose her veggie crap on me. Although I guess I impose my meat on her if you get what I'm saying :awesome:
My attitude to this is the same as religion, if they have their own opinion thats fine. If they feel the need to try and impose this opinion on me I go a little bit ape **** :smile:
I'm a pescatarian (cause I don't like the taste of meat). I get both guilt tripped by vegetarians for eating fish and also attacked by meat eaters because "It's unhealthy," "Meat tastes good." Blah blah blah...

I don't understand why people don't just leave other people alone. I take the view that other people's dietary habits are their business and their business alone.
lightburns
Well, I would only really accept a veggie imposing their views on me if they were a meat-eating veggie. Ok that didn't make much sense. Let me explain...
There are 2 main views someone may choose to be vegetarian (of the people I know who are veggie anyway). They may claim to care about the ethics of eating animals, or that they simply don't want to eat meat.

If simply don't want to eat meat is the main issue, then the person will not eat meat. Ever. If at all avoidable. Even if it causes harm to animals to not eat meat, they will continue this diet.

If ethics of harming animals is the main issue, then the person will be happy to consume by-products of animals (that would otherwise go to waste) rather than consuming an equivalent from a plantation. They will also be very careful in what foods they consume, or other products they use, so that they don't use products that are more harmful than necessary (things that take up a large amount of plantation space etc.)

So far, I have never met anyone of the latter, but there must be some out there.

I like my meat too much, so I won't become vegetarian and more ethical. Vegetarians dislike their meat too much, so won't become more ethical and eat meat in certain circumstances.

Neither position is the best ethically, so we should agree to disagree. That is why I would not tolerate a vegetarian claiming to have the moral high ground. I don't have it; but they don't either.

I like the way you explained that... just shows that some vegetarians aren't vegetarians in the latter sense, I think I've only met the religious type who don't eat meat. :yep:
juman786
http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,,-83446,00.html

Plants FEEL PAIN, what is it that vegetarian do not understand? Being a Veg is all about cruelty to animals blah blah blah, what about plants huh?

Lol I found that quite funny... :p: Now we cannot eat animals and plants. What to eat now? :erm:
I find them annoying to the same extent as I find religious people, or any other people for that matter, who try and impose their views on me. By all means have your view, but until I start forcing any of mine on you, you can bugger off.
If a person kept pushing their views/opinions on me after I stated that I'm not interested/don't care if it be either vegetarianism, religion, or anything else, I'm going to get annoyed. I'm more of a rational person so if you can give me good, rational ideas, I'll listen. Of course that doesn't mean I'll always listen.
Reply 59
georgia
I'm a vegetarian, and don't push my views on anyone. I'll talk about it when asked, but that's it. Yet I still get way too many meat-eaters trying to get me to eat meat. Double-standards ftw :frown:

This. I don't even mention I am vegetarian now until it matters and I certainly don't try and convert anyone. I'm sure you meat eaters can put up with the occasional fool who wants to preach to you when we get preachy crap from nearly everyone who knows we are vege/vegan.

Meat eater friend/acquaintance discovers you're vegetarian while you're out together:

"I suppose you're gonna preach to me about how meat is bad then?" - NO!!! Leave me alone!

"Why are you vegetarian anyway?" - What do you want, an essay? I cba explaining myself to you and the 200 other people who asked that question.

"I'm ok with it as long as you don't preach to me." - Good thank you, me too. [This statement is actually usually followed by the question before or some preaching of their own]

And the list goes on... Damn, did that sound preachy to you? :lol:

Latest

Trending

Trending