The Student Room Group

Is Lidl bad quality?

I sincerely apologise if I sound stuck up, I really don’t mean to be! But is Lidl food good quality? Im just sceptical because of how cheap it is. I just worry it doesn’t pass certain standards.

My parents have never shopped there. Admittedly we have the privilege of shopping weekly at Waitrose but I’ve moved out with my boyfriend and he keeps telling me we should go to lidl to save on my food bill!

I’m just skeptical…

Scroll to see replies

Nope, I think it's pretty good, has very cheap cereal and amazing pastries at reasonable prices.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I sincerely apologise if I sound stuck up, I really don’t mean to be! But is Lidl food good quality? Im just sceptical because of how cheap it is. I just worry it doesn’t pass certain standards.

My parents have never shopped there. Admittedly we have the privilege of shopping weekly at Waitrose but I’ve moved out with my boyfriend and he keeps telling me we should go to lidl to save on my food bill!

I’m just skeptical…

You do need to watch pack sizes - it isn't always as cheap as it seems. I don't use it much as my local one has limited range.
Same as any supermarket, (and in particular the price focussed ones), you need to try it and find the things that are good value and those that are rubbish. You’ll mostly find that things are fine and it’s up to you whether you want to spend the extra by shopping at Waitrose.
Their own brand chocolates & nutella, greek yoghurts, peanut butter, most bakery & deli items, prosecco, household cleaning products, ugly fruit & vegetable boxes, fruit juices and most vegetarian frozen items are very good quality.

Beware the butter, goats cheese, seafood and sourdough pizzas.
The single items of fruit are frequently off or contain spiders.
The Lidl bakery is great in my opinion.
Original post by Talkative Toad

100% agree their white chocolate chip cookies :tongue:
It’s ok the fresh fruit and veg is a bit lacking but it’s ok.
Waitrose positions itself as a "premium" brand so everything is usually more expensive.

Lidl and Aldi etc sell less line items and try to sell at a lower price.

Others like Sainsburys/Tesco try and sell anything and everything.
Original post by bl0bf1sh
100% agree their white chocolate chip cookies :tongue:

For me it's their baguette (i.e they aren't poor quality).
Original post by CamebridgeMum
Lidl food is very poor quality, it had been made for the unwashed masses. I much prefer to by my groceries from the local butcher, baker, and grocer, but will choke down food from Waitrose or Marks & Spencer... My Hubby says that Lidl caters to the paupers. :frown:

Is your hubby Rishi Sunak?
if I can't afford to go to tesco's or sainsbury's or whatever, i don't mind lidl at all. it's just their own branded food that's a bit dodgy and tastes bad.. but its a hit or miss. i'm vegetarian and sometimes find that they do really good deals for frozen/chilled veggie food, so that's an advantage for me when others are much more expensive!
Lidl and also Aldi are really affordable, if you wanna save on food bills . I suggest you buy frozen food - such as frozen veg frozen fruit instead of fresh as it last longer and cheaper but that’s just personal preference . Lidl have reduced items that you can buy and freeze it later saves you money . Not going to lie in these times of cost of living everything is so expensive, but yeah to answer your question lidl is good and affordable
Original post by CamebridgeMum
shut it

Don’t remember asking🤣🤣🤣your very much giving me Tory vibes , thinking just because you shop from M&S & Waitrose your above everyone! I shop from all supermarkets , this person has asked about affordable shopping so I gave them an answer I don’t get why this concerns you stick to your answer and I’ll stick to mine
Original post by londonmyst
The single items of fruit are frequently off or contain spiders.

:afraid:
No, not particuarly.

As I understand it, Lidl offer the prices they do because they find savings in their model of distribution and staffing, rather than because the quality is worse than other supermarkets.
Original post by Talkative Toad

Indeed. I am eating the pastries with pleasure. The quality is alright, I can't complain.
Original post by Kallisto
Indeed. I am eating the pastries with pleasure. The quality is alright, I can't complain.

Lidl is German right?
Lidl the 🐐
HOWLING.

Please can we bring CambridgeMum back, this place is in desperate need of entertainment.

Quick Reply

Latest