The Student Room Group

Question for muslims about Eid

So Eid is approaching and my housemate (muslim) is unable to go home. She may be able to visit a friend for part of the first day (wednesday). I was wondering if there was any traditional food or anything that I can prepare to help her celebrate. She is a vegetarian and im unsure what to make as i know a lot of the celebration is centred around meat.

Thanks!
Original post by flamingolover
So Eid is approaching and my housemate (muslim) is unable to go home. She may be able to visit a friend for part of the first day (wednesday). I was wondering if there was any traditional food or anything that I can prepare to help her celebrate. She is a vegetarian and im unsure what to make as i know a lot of the celebration is centred around meat.

Thanks!

this is so sweet and kind of you, honestly there isnt anything specific that all muslims eat on eid, for example in my family we usually have our normal lunch/dinner foods with all our friends and family - we also usually go pretty all out for dessert like cakes, cupcakes, asian desserts, sundaes etc. you could make her anything she likes really as eid is about celebrating and being with your loved ones
Original post by flamingolover

Thanks!

Aww this is so sweet, I'm sure she'll appreciate it so much :smile:

You haven't stated her ethnicity which makes it a bit harder to give recommendations for traditional foods but I'll just assume she's desi/south Asian (even if she isn't she should enjoy these foods tho tbf). I'll try attach pics too in case you don't know what something is. Feel free to pick and choose what you want to make. You can find recipes online/on Youtube.

Starters:

Vegetarian/Aloo (potato) samosas

Vegetarian pakoras

Aloo tikki
Main dish:

(Vegetarian) biryani

Saag Aloo

Dhaal
Desserts (you can make them yourself at home but just buy them from an asian shop tbh or you'll be cooking all day):

Faloodha

Jalebi

Halwa
Also green chutney goes amazingly well with the starters, it only takes about 20mins and you can make it the day before. I'm pretty good at making it (if I do say so myself) so here's the recipe:

Wash 3/4 green chillis and a bit of coriander (up to you how much but I'd say do half a handful this time).
Chop up into pretty fine pieces.
(Optional) Wash and finely chop a few mint leaves.
Grind(is that the word for it?) with a pestle and mortar. If it doesn't all fit in one go, add half, grind that and then add the rest and continue grinding. Be careful as chilli may splash into your eyes.
When nicely mashed, transfer to clean pot.
Add 1/1.5 table spoon of plain yoghurt to pot (optional). Mix.
Add 1.5 teaspoons of lemon juice (can use real lemon if necessary). Mix.
Add a bit of salt. Mix. (You can taste the chutney to see if you need to add more).
Done. It should look something like this.

If you skipped the yoghurt step though, you add a lot more lemon juice. Keep adding and mixing until you get a nice watery texture. Also add the salt tho obvs. It should look like this.

Finally, and the most important part of all, DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE OR EYES WHILST MAKING THE CHUTNEY. AS SOON AS YOU'RE DONE, CLEAN UP AND WASH YOUR HANDS TWICE WITH SOAP TO MAKE SURE YOU WON'T GET CHILLI IN YOUR EYES LATER.

When finished with the chutney, put a lid on the pot and keep it in the fridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending