The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
The 9As at GCSE will restrict your university options quite a bit as most places want a 3 or 4 A*s at GCSEs.If you have got predictions of A*A*A at A2,then why did you perform so badly at GCSE?

9As at GCSE is bad...? Since when...? :confused:

Contrary to popular belief, you don't need a million A*s at GCSE to get in. As long as you meet the academic criteria, apply cleverly, do well in your A Levels, work hard on your personal statement, and ace your UKCAT/BMAT exams and interview techniques, you should be fine. :biggrin:
Original post by ChemicalBond
9As at GCSE is bad...? Since when...? :confused:
Contrary to popular belief, you don't need a million A*s at GCSE to get in. As long as you meet the academic criteria, apply cleverly, do well in your A Levels, work hard on your personal statement, and ace your UKCAT/BMAT exams and interview techniques, you should be fine. :biggrin:

I think Dalek just meant that having 9 As will mean some medical schools are a no go (i.e. no Birmingham, Oxford, maybe Nottingham etc.) xD And I guess he's surprised at someone who has A*A*A prediction didn't get a single A* at GCSE :P
Original post by lsaul95
Medical School A-Level Requirements

As you can see from this, most require AAA. You may get an offer with predicted AAA, however it is unlikely you will get an offer with predicted AAB, as you are not meeting the initial grade requirements for most Universities.

Why not take History to A2? Considering you are struggling with Physics?

Yeah i think I may do that but I'll wait until results day to be sure. Thanks :smile:
Reply 8203
Hey, I posted on this thread before but thought Id update.
I currently do Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Business Studies at AS and am in the process of sitting the exams.
I think I can attain A grades in Business, Chemistry and Biology but Maths is dreadful, predicting a B or C at AS.
So if it comes out I get AAAB at AS, what should I do? Is all hope lost?
Reply 8204
Original post by Hughsie
Hey, I posted on this thread before but thought Id update.
I currently do Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Business Studies at AS and am in the process of sitting the exams.
I think I can attain A grades in Business, Chemistry and Biology but Maths is dreadful, predicting a B or C at AS.
So if it comes out I get AAAB at AS, what should I do? Is all hope lost?

Not at all. You would be fine for most medical schools with AAAB. Loads of applicants get in with AS grades of AABB or sometimes lower. That being said, you may want to avoid certain medical schools like Oxbridge and Birmingham which will prefer applicants to have straight As.
Reply 8205
Original post by myyrh
Not at all. You would be fine for most medical schools with AAAB. Loads of applicants get in with AS grades of AABB or sometimes lower. That being said, you may want to avoid certain medical schools like Oxbridge and Birmingham which will prefer applicants to have straight As.

Oh thats good, what unis would I have the best chance in your opinion?
Also, If I do get AAAB, do you think I should drop maths next year or keep it? I enjoy it, but just find it really hard. But Im also thinking, if medicine doesnt work out, maths will be a good opener into other courses...?
Reply 8206
Original post by Hughsie
Oh thats good, what unis would I have the best chance in your opinion?
Also, If I do get AAAB, do you think I should drop maths next year or keep it? I enjoy it, but just find it really hard. But Im also thinking, if medicine doesnt work out, maths will be a good opener into other courses...?

I can't really say based just on your AS grades. AS grades form a relatively small part of the admission process for majority of the schools. GCSEs, predicted grades, UKCAT/BMAT and personal statement are what actually matters. What are your GCSEs like?
If you're struggling with Maths I would say drop it. A B in your dropped AS is fine. It gets much harder at A2 and it's unnecessary pressure to take on all four to A2. It may allow you to apply to other courses which have some sort of maths content but wouldn't you want to reapply to medicine if you don't get in the first time?
Reply 8207
Hi. I am currently doing my SQA Higher exams (in Scotland) and I was wondering if anyone knew whether medical schools I apply to get to know which band I get (i.e. A Band 1 or A band 2) or do they just get to know the grades?

Original post by Maryam A
Hi. I am currently doing my SQA Higher exams (in Scotland) and I was wondering if anyone knew whether medical schools I apply to get to know which band I get (i.e. A Band 1 or A band 2) or do they just get to know the grades?

Scottish universities will only want grades. Bands are not recorded on your certificates. Strictly speaking you shouldn't even know your bands...though most teachers will tell you I'm sure :tongue:

Certain universities south of the border may ask for your bands but they will state that after you apply.
Reply 8209
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Scottish universities will only want grades. Bands are not recorded on your certificates. Strictly speaking you shouldn't even know your bands...though most teachers will tell you I'm sure :tongue:

Certain universities south of the border may ask for your bands but they will state that after you apply.

ok thank you :smile:
I am in year 11, Currently doing my GCSE's and i am an aspiring medical student hoping to become a doctor. I know it sounds very cliched but yeah, i've always wanted to be a doctor, and i want to make this dream a reality and i want t oask a couple of questions and request some success stories please.

This would really help me and could possibly affect my future so please do not read this post and ignore it, Give me some advice (please?)

a) I am nearly 16, I have already done some work experience. What other work experience do i need to do, to make me stand out from the rest when applying to a University, Please give me a list of Work experience, and i will consider doing them.

b) I am probably going to get B/A's maybe one A* at GCSE, Will that really really really affect my chances of getting into Uni.. i.e. Not getting an offer.

c) What do Universities actually look for, i am very very very very very passionate but i want to express it by doing work experience etc.

d) I would like to know some success stories; What people got in their GCSE's, A-Levels, work experience and that they got into University - how?

Please take your time to answer these questions as it would help me a lot, thank you very much :smile:
anyone? please?
Original post by Danny786
I am in year 11, Currently doing my GCSE's and i am an aspiring medical student hoping to become a doctor. I know it sounds very cliched but yeah, i've always wanted to be a doctor, and i want to make this dream a reality and i want t oask a couple of questions and request some success stories please.

This would really help me and could possibly affect my future so please do not read this post and ignore it, Give me some advice (please?)

a) I am nearly 16, I have already done some work experience. What other work experience do i need to do, to make me stand out from the rest when applying to a University, Please give me a list of Work experience, and i will consider doing them.

b) I am probably going to get B/A's maybe one A* at GCSE, Will that really really really affect my chances of getting into Uni.. i.e. Not getting an offer.

c) What do Universities actually look for, i am very very very very very passionate but i want to express it by doing work experience etc.

d) I would like to know some success stories; What people got in their GCSE's, A-Levels, work experience and that they got into University - how?

Please take your time to answer these questions as it would help me a lot, thank you very much :smile:

You should start applying for voluntary jobs because they take months to sort out, try hospitals and hospices first. Also you need to do some shadowing, aim for hospitals/ GPs.

Depends on the uni there are probably three main things (GCSEs, UKCAT and personal statement) that unis look for and the best way to stand a chance is to be outstanding in one area and apply accordingly. For example is someone has 12A*s they should be applying to Birmingham, Oxford and Kings. Whereas you should avoid those universities llke the plague with those GCSEs. You should aim for a high UKCAT because it will open a lot of doors for you.

Take a look at this. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=865511
Reply 8213
I came to realise that it was very unlikely that I would 'stand out' simply due to the extremely high standard of applicants each year.
1. Listing what work experience you have done is fairly useful. It's more important to say what you learned and reflect on that. (I organised ..... from this I learnt about how ....) If something caught your eye and prompted you to do further research on it mention it. (Be prepared to answer questions on it though)
2. It will mean that you can't apply to some universities, but every place has different requirements so look into that.
3. As above, every medical school asks for different things. I would suggest researching ones you like/ meet the requirements for and tailor your activities to that.
4. I got one offer and 3 rejections, have mostly A* at GCSEs (but not many GCSEs), predicted AAA in A levels, have 2 weeks work experience and a bit of voluntary stuff.

I would suggest getting as many different experiences as you can - not just a variety of medical experience, but working with as many different types of people as possible.
Good luck!
You should start by showing some initiative and reading the wiki, or reading through some applicant profiles and the work experience thread which would answer A, C and D. For question B, posting this in the medicine angst sticky at the top would have been appropriate.
I am sorry.
What specific work experience would i need at age 16.

Voluntary - where?

etc
I would like to obtain the same degree as someone who would be going to Cambridge?

I want to one of the top 10 medical schools in UK, atleast!!
Original post by Danny786
I would like to obtain the same degree as someone who would be going to Cambridge?

I want to one of the top 10 medical schools in UK, atleast!!

You get the same medical degree regardless of university. In response to your second point, a place from ANY medical school is a pretty big achievement. No point setting your sights on somewhere so early.
work hard, do the best you possibly can in your GCSEs, then look at as much work experience as possible- long term volunteering stuff and anything you can find shadowing a dr.

you also need to do some research if you are taking this seriously- all med school degrees are considered equal within the UK (as long as they are accredited) play to your strengths rather than the league tables to help yourself get in

Latest

Trending

Trending