The Student Room Group

In desperate need of help with Student Finance!

Okay, so I completed mine and my mum's applications online.
I sent off my birth certificate plus declaration and my mum's P60 with covering letter.
However, they rang me and said that the P60 can't be accepted as it is handwritten (as in, a form that has been filled in).
They said that we could go to Inland Revenue and get a letter declaring my mum's earnings, but when we went to Inland Revenue, they said it would take about 10 weeks so that isn't an option.
Inland Revenue also said that SFE should accept the handwritten P60 as all/most of them are handwritten and it is a legal and binding document.
My mum has no other evidence of her income.
The only thing we can think to do now is to send in a duplicate P60, ie. a photocopy. When I rang SFE and told them this, the guy said it would be okay, but I'm really unsure.
Has anyone else had a similar problem? Even though it is a very specific problem to have :\

I am panicking like mad right now :woo:

My mum doesn't have any Week 53 or Month 12 payslips either.

HELPPPPPPPPP!
They are not mostly handwritten! That's nonsense.
So you are saying they have rejected a handwritten original P60 but you are going to send a photocopy of same handwritten original because you've been told by a phone jockey that would be acceptable?
Doesn't make much sense does it?
Reply 2
you should get written confirmation from HM rev that it's acceptable to send to SF, otherwise they could just reject it again.
Reply 3
We have just come across the same problem. My son is in his second year at Manchester and has just had his grant cancelled and been asked to pay back last terms grant with no explanation.
When i phoned student finance they said this was because my P60 is handwritten and unacceptable. They must have accepted it originally in his first year.
They have asked for a statement of earnings on company headed paper. As though this is better proof than the original legal form.
Original post by katecox
We have just come across the same problem. My son is in his second year at Manchester and has just had his grant cancelled and been asked to pay back last terms grant with no explanation.
When i phoned student finance they said this was because my P60 is handwritten and unacceptable. They must have accepted it originally in his first year.
They have asked for a statement of earnings on company headed paper. As though this is better proof than the original legal form.

But you didn't send the original legal form. original P60s are never handwritten.
Reply 5
My P45 was handwritten too. Tell SF to get off their legal high horse because that is a very poor excuse not to accept one.

Like someone else has said, get HM to send written confirmation that that is the case as well, just to be sure.
Reply 6
SFE will never accept handwritten p60's. My best advice is to get a statement of earnings from the Inland Revenue. Also SFE never ask for evidence for 2nd / 3rd year students as they take the figures that sponsors declare on pff2 forms that have been submitted by the sponsors. The only exception to this is if they have been selected as part of a financial audit.
Reply 7
Neglecting of coruse that students were being asked for it again in 10/11 even if they were renewing and were finalised in 09/10.
Original post by avéry
My P45 was handwritten too. Tell SF to get off their legal high horse because that is a very poor excuse not to accept one.

Like someone else has said, get HM to send written confirmation that that is the case as well, just to be sure.

What has a P45 got to do with anything here?
Reply 9
Original post by hypocriticaljap
What has a P45 got to do with anything here?

Well it's asked for sometimes as well as a P60, and it's a legal document, and it says pretty much the same thing so I'd say it has something to do with this.
FAIL!
It is totally irrelevant.

Some people are incapable of research. See here
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Gettingstarted/DG_189557

It specifically says handwritten P60s are unacceptable and nowhere in the evidence it accepts does it mention P45s!
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending