The Student Room Group

Bangor vs LJMU for Psychology

Well at the moment LJMU is my firm, and Bangor is my insurance (even though I need BBC to get into both).

I chose LJMU because it was in Liverpool and I like the city and I thought the staff were friendly there, the facilities were good and I like the modules in the course. But recently I've been looking at reviews from students and some say it isn't that great with the teaching and lecturers which makes me feel like it's not gonna be a good uni for me.

As for Bangor all the reviews from students are great especially concerning the teaching and lecturers and the course. The course also has loads of stats in it which is probably a good thing. I've also got two close friends going to the uni. The only problem with Bangor is its really close to home, its where I shop and go out and everything, and where my family works. I would probably move into halls if I went there but I don't feel like I'd get as a good an experience as if I went to LJMU.

I don't know what would be best? I'm secretly hoping I won't like LJMU so that I've got an excuse to go to Bangor uni.. I know it's stupid. But I really want to move away as well, not just away from home. I don't know if I should consider the degree I'll have (Bangor's better for the degree) or the experience I'll have (Liverpool is much better than Bangor). It's been playing on my mind for ages now!
Oh God, Bangor x1000.
Reply 2
Bangor!
Reply 3
bruce_t89
Bangor!

Bangor's home though, and boring :frown: But a better course cause of the stats and a better uni. And I know the Psychology degree is recognised as a really good one there!
Reply 4
BabyGirl92
Bangor's home though, and boring :frown: But a better course cause of the stats and a better uni. And I know the Psychology degree is recognised as a really good one there!

I know it's boring, but the teaching is excellent. I'm sure that all unis cover stats. Anyway, if you end up at Bangor you'll have a better chance of getting a 2.1/1st. It'll make your 3 years at uni feel worthwhile.

On the other hand, if you're desperate to get away from North Wales then go to LJMU. But if I were you, I would choose Bangor. You could always go to pubs and bars such as Varsity and Rascals. Time and Octogon are good night clubs, so it's not all bad.
Reply 5
bruce_t89
I know it's boring, but the teaching is excellent. I'm sure that all unis cover stats. Anyway, if you end up at Bangor you'll have a better chance of getting a 2.1/1st. It'll make your 3 years at uni feel worthwhile.

On the other hand, if you're desperate to get away from North Wales then go to LJMU. But if I were you, I would choose Bangor. You could always go to pubs and bars such as Varsity and Rascals. Time and Octogon are good night clubs, so it's not all bad.

I'm not desperate to move away from North Wales but it's moving out of home that I wanna do the most. I need independence and that. I suppose Bangor wouldn't be boring if I was a student there though, with all the societies you can join and stuff. I wish I wasn't from so close actually then I'd definitely go there!

I feel like I'd be so much better off coming out with a degree from Bangor than from LJMU cause the course in Bangor is recognised as a really good one. I'm really thinking about it now!
Reply 6
BabyGirl92
I'm not desperate to move away from North Wales but it's moving out of home that I wanna do the most. I need independence and that. I suppose Bangor wouldn't be boring if I was a student there though, with all the societies you can join and stuff. I wish I wasn't from so close actually then I'd definitely go there!

I feel like I'd be so much better off coming out with a degree from Bangor than from LJMU cause the course in Bangor is recognised as a really good one. I'm really thinking about it now!

Cool, I'm glad you're really considering about going there.:biggrin: In my opinion, the quality of the uni's department is more significant than the city life.
I'd say LJMU purely because I went there! (just finished, graduate in July eek! :smile: ). I think LJMU is like 100ish in the league tables? LOL but to be honest i wouldn't even think about that, it won't matter where you go in terms of reputation and jobs. You'll have just as good a chance if you goto either, provided you work hard and get a decent degree.
The course is really good, take it its the Applied Psychology one you'd be doing? Theress so many different modules from all areas of psychology and you can choose which ones you want to do in your second and particularly your third year. PLUS theres a new multi million pound Psychology building new this year (opened in like March, so just missed being there really :frown: ) really high tech lots of labs and various psychological equipment to use for your projects etc. I'm not going to say the teaching is great for all modules, because its not...like many uni's i'd say. But I had some pretty great lecturers for some modules and with effort and determination you'll get the grade you deserve despite having even the most rubbish lecturer in the world.
Thats my viewpoint of Psychology at LJMU :smile: PM me if you want to know anything else.

I don't know too much about Bangor but I went there on an open day when I was deciding and I didn't like it at all...to out in the sticks and not my cup of tea really. But my friend went there to be Psychology and I think she enjoyed it as far as I know. To be honest Bangor doesn't really have that great a reputation...and from my observations doesn't seem to be too popular with students. Its always in clearing and my friend had an offer of BBB and got BCU and they still let her in :/ Really puzzled me lol...she doesn't have any extra experience or anything for them to give reason to do that.

So yeah its what you make of it at the end of the day. You'll have just as many opportunities..it will not matter AT ALL if you goto LJMU or Bangor...believe me. I've just got into Cambridge University starting September to do a PGCE Primary Course and Masters in Education and hope to do an Educational Psychology Doctorate in a few years.

P.S the person who said you'd have more chance of getting a 2:1/1st if you goto Bangor...how exactly did you work that one out LOL. Have you studied at both Unis and tested this out?

P.P.S At LJMU you will have to do stats modules in both Level 1 and 2 and then your dissertation in Level 3. So lots of stats...which I personally dislike cos I don't really like maths! haha.
Reply 8
bruce_t89
Cool, I'm glad you're really considering about going there.:biggrin: In my opinion, the quality of the uni's department is more significant than the city life.

Yeah I agree with that :smile:
Can I ask why are you leaving Bangor uni this year then to go to Royal Holloway?
Reply 9
xhelen1989x
I'd say LJMU purely because I went there! (just finished, graduate in July eek! :smile: ). I think LJMU is like 100ish in the league tables? LOL but to be honest i wouldn't even think about that, it won't matter where you go in terms of reputation and jobs. You'll have just as good a chance if you goto either, provided you work hard and get a decent degree.
The course is really good, take it its the Applied Psychology one you'd be doing? Theress so many different modules from all areas of psychology and you can choose which ones you want to do in your second and particularly your third year. PLUS theres a new multi million pound Psychology building new this year (opened in like March, so just missed being there really :frown: ) really high tech lots of labs and various psychological equipment to use for your projects etc. I'm not going to say the teaching is great for all modules, because its not...like many uni's i'd say. But I had some pretty great lecturers for some modules and with effort and determination you'll get the grade you deserve despite having even the most rubbish lecturer in the world.
Thats my viewpoint of Psychology at LJMU :smile: PM me if you want to know anything else.

I don't know too much about Bangor but I went there on an open day when I was deciding and I didn't like it at all...to out in the sticks and not my cup of tea really. But my friend went there to be Psychology and I think she enjoyed it as far as I know. To be honest Bangor doesn't really have that great a reputation...and from my observations doesn't seem to be too popular with students. Its always in clearing and my friend had an offer of BBB and got BCU and they still let her in :/ Really puzzled me lol...she doesn't have any extra experience or anything for them to give reason to do that.

So yeah its what you make of it at the end of the day. You'll have just as many opportunities..it will not matter AT ALL if you goto LJMU or Bangor...believe me. I've just got into Cambridge University starting September to do a PGCE Primary Course and Masters in Education and hope to do an Educational Psychology Doctorate in a few years.

P.S the person who said you'd have more chance of getting a 2:1/1st if you goto Bangor...how exactly did you work that one out LOL. Have you studied at both Unis and tested this out?

P.P.S At LJMU you will have to do stats modules in both Level 1 and 2 and then your dissertation in Level 3. So lots of stats...which I personally dislike cos I don't really like maths! haha.

Thanks :smile: What I liked about LJMU was the people were so nice, the facilities were good and everything about it seemed right, like the distance from home and simple accommodation close to the uni, but it has been playing on my mind for weeks about whether I really want to go there. I didn't look at it before I applied, cause I changed from wanting to do Sociology/Criminology or Sociology/History which is ABB in most unis, to Psychology which is AAB so I had to change my uni choices last minute!
Reply 10
BabyGirl92
Yeah I agree with that :smile:
Can I ask why are you leaving Bangor uni this year then to go to Royal Holloway?

For various reasons but the most significant factor is that I wanted to study at a more prestigious uni and I wanted to be closer to home.
Reply 11
xhelen1989x

:smile:

Were you happy with the quality of the teaching there and stuff? Like did you find the lecturers helpful and that you could approach them for help easily or are you totally left on your own. I heard that in Manchester there had been loads of complaints about lecturers not helping their students enough, which is why its gone down so much in student satisfaction.
Im going into my 3rd year at Bangor and overall, im very happy with lectures. Last semester, two of my lecturers were amazing. Put on extra sessions when needed, offered to go over essay plans one to one if you wanted, would reply with details emails when you asked a question. Two others were pretty good, no extras but would willingly answer questions. I will be honest and say one guy was rubbish. But people complained a lot and he did get better and make more of an effort.
My supervisor is excellent and provided me with so much help but also confidence in myself to know I can do it.

There are also lots of outside of lecturer support. Like theres stats help sessions where you can just drop in and theres a few diff lecturers involved, so you can ask a different lecturer if you just havent understood your own. And when i was struggling with the content with the bad lecturer, i spoke to the head of year 2 and she tried he best to help and extra explaining sides were added to blackboard.
BabyGirl92
Were you happy with the quality of the teaching there and stuff? Like did you find the lecturers helpful and that you could approach them for help easily or are you totally left on your own. I heard that in Manchester there had been loads of complaints about lecturers not helping their students enough, which is why its gone down so much in student satisfaction.

Yeah I was happy with the course and lectures :smile: Overall i'd say the lecturers were pretty good and you'll get all their E-Mails and room numbers so if you ever need to ask them anything they are easy to reach and will help you as much as they can really. Uni is so different from school/sixth form though at most Uni's you'll find the tutors won't help you half as much as your teachers did it school, a big part of it is your independent learning. But obviously if your stuck on anything they will always answer your queries :smile:
Reply 14
I live about 20 miles down the road from bangor. Did work experience there in the psych dept. and i know loads of people including mum who lecture there. Seriously good for psych!

I know what you mean about not wanting to stay here, obviously part of the attraction of going to uni is moving away from home, meeting new people which will obviously happen anywhere just moving to bangor just doesnt seem that exciting to me as i only live down the road! As long as both courses are BPS accredited its fine really but i think the standard of teaching and research in bangor is amazing - some of the lecturers there really are inspiring - I did work experience with Prof. Bob Rafal and his research is supposedly proper groundbreaking stuff.

But yeah obviously the nightlife is an issue in bangor, Ive go out there a couple times and every night its the same old oci/time/varsity stuff. and on the other hand liverpool is a brilliant night out with a much larger student population so there will be much less of the same faces each night or whatever.

As a university Bangor doesnt have an amazing reputation except in certain subjects like Psych and Marine Biology. So if you plan to go further in psych maybe bangor would be the way to go? but like i said earlier the main thing is that the courses are BPS accredited and i THINK both are, bangor definitely is.

so yeah let me know what you decide :smile:
Reply 15
Doak
I live about 20 miles down the road from bangor. Did work experience there in the psych dept. and i know loads of people including mum who lecture there. Seriously good for psych!

I know what you mean about not wanting to stay here, obviously part of the attraction of going to uni is moving away from home, meeting new people which will obviously happen anywhere just moving to bangor just doesnt seem that exciting to me as i only live down the road! As long as both courses are BPS accredited its fine really but i think the standard of teaching and research in bangor is amazing - some of the lecturers there really are inspiring - I did work experience with Prof. Bob Rafal and his research is supposedly proper groundbreaking stuff.

But yeah obviously the nightlife is an issue in bangor, Ive go out there a couple times and every night its the same old oci/time/varsity stuff. and on the other hand liverpool is a brilliant night out with a much larger student population so there will be much less of the same faces each night or whatever.

As a university Bangor doesnt have an amazing reputation except in certain subjects like Psych and Marine Biology. So if you plan to go further in psych maybe bangor would be the way to go? but like i said earlier the main thing is that the courses are BPS accredited and i THINK both are, bangor definitely is.

so yeah let me know what you decide :smile:

LJMU is BPS accredited, I checked that before I applied.
I was thinking I'd do the degree in Liverpool then to a post-grad in Bangor if I decided to go that way. Everyone who goes to Bangor uni seems to love it (for Psychology) but I just don't wanna live at home, wanna get away from my family and stuff. That sounds bad but I need to get away!
Reply 16
BabyGirl92
LJMU is BPS accredited, I checked that before I applied.
I was thinking I'd do the degree in Liverpool then to a post-grad in Bangor if I decided to go that way. Everyone who goes to Bangor uni seems to love it (for Psychology) but I just don't wanna live at home, wanna get away from my family and stuff. That sounds bad but I need to get away!

Nah thats a perfectly good decision, its what I'd do despite admiring bangors psych dept, I couldnt bear to live in penllyn for another three years haha.

Latest