The Student Room Group
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
A good idea in theory, the flaw in practise is that people, especially from certain communities, will continue to have children and obviously we can't leave children in poverty.
Reply 3
robbo3045

Why should the rest of us have to subsidise baby making machines.

Because these babies will pay for your pension.
You should be glad about any additional newborn child.
Reply 4
So if you have more than 2 children,then you have to suffer.
Thats a little bit harsh. How about we reasses child benefit and possibly make it only available to people who genuinely need it i.e low income families?
I agree if the country wasn't in this state economically it would be reasonable and fair to allow everyone money for their children,but to save on this for now,lets make it available to people who really have to rely on it?
I'm just saying this because in regards to spending cuts i'd rather not see the NHS for example have to lose out. After all,they are a neccesity and do a faboulous job day in and day out.
Reply 5
Rainbows!
So if you have more than 2 children,then you have to suffer.
Thats a little bit harsh. How about we reasses child benefit and possibly make it only available to people who genuinely need it i.e low income families?
I agree if the country wasn't in this state economically it would be reasonable and fair to allow everyone money for their children,but to save on this for now,lets make it available to people who really have to rely on it?
I'm just saying this because in regards to spending cuts i'd rather not see the NHS for example have to lose out. After all,they are a neccesity and do a faboulous job day in and day out.

You don't have to suffer, but you should only have as many children as you can afford to support.
You can't force people to limit the number of children you have. If you cut the benefits, the children will suffer and eventually have to be taken into care. Because of this the government aren't going to cut child benefit.
I personally think there is something in robbo's idea. One of the problems with the benefit system is that you get people thinking that unemployed people or the sick are living a life of luxury, well single unemployed people certainly aren't, they are surviving on a budget of about £60 a week. Pensioners are on £97 a week. However it is possible if you have a family and are a serial benefit claimant and know the system, to get yourself a lot more, there are a lot of households who are bringing in benefit income of £20000 or £30000 if there's a couple of adults and 3/4 kids. Whilst that isn't massive money for supporting a family, it is a better situation than low income working families are on, when you think there are people with one wage earner on about £15000 a year supporting a family.
Reply 8
Peter Thomson
You can't force people to limit the number of children you have. If you cut the benefits, the children will suffer and eventually have to be taken into care. Because of this the government aren't going to cut child benefit.

So why should we have to support families with six children in them? It's not forcing them to limit the amount of children they want -- for example if they are in well paid jobs, then they will be able to support their children themselves.

Low income families think they can pop out children when and where they like, and that taxpayer will pay for it. Surely, that's not right.

Latest

Trending

Trending