The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

fredscarecrow
What I take issue with is where people are implying or stating that vegan/vegetarian parents take more care over their children's food and therefor their health, suggesting that omnivorous parents are somewhat to blame for their children's illnesses.

I actually agree with the first part of this - because in my experience meat eaters don't think they need to think about their diet as they assume they're getting all the nutrients they need. Veggies/vegans are much more scrupulous about the nutritional value of their food and what their children are eating, imo at least.

I don't agree with the second part - I have never said that not taking care over your child's diet is abuse. Deliberate malnutrition is abuse, but most parents that we're talking about here are probably doing it out of ignorance and stupidity rather than on purpose. I also don't think anyone's ever suggested that meat eating children will have illnesses that their diet is responsible for - except obesity but I think that's true. In fact it's been much the other way around, all the comments have suggested that vegan or veggie children will suffer from developmental issues and illnesses that their parents are negligently responsible for. I can't see any comments that say this about meat eating parents. xx
Melting Sugar.
True, but in my house it was never like that. My Mum's always made it clear if I want to eat meat I can - I was never forced to be a vegetarian as a child and my Dad ate meat too (which my Mum was more than happy to cook alongside our meals, so it was pretty easy for me to eat it if I wanted too) but I did end up being vegan from 3-5 (but that was because the doctors thought I might be lactose intolerant - turns out i'm not and i'm perfectly healthy but y'know)..

I think the only time I got upset as a child because I didn't eat meat was because I was fed up of going to people's houses and not having anything to eat because my little friends "forgot"/didn't bother telling their parents I was a veggie so whilst everyone else was having a hot dog i'd be having just the bap. :cry: But my Mum said to me she was perfectly happy to help me start eating meat if I wanted but it was my decision to stay a veggie.

you're very much in the minority imo
the presence of 'imo' would seem to imply that it was my opinion. based on the veggies i know
thedaveimperium
the presence of 'imo' would seem to imply that it was my opinion. based on the veggies i know

wow, how many vegetarians do you know that have been raised vegetarian all their life?

I've only met one other, and she started eating meat when she was 7.
Melting Sugar.
wow, how many vegetarians do you know that have been raised vegetarian all their life?

I've only met one other, and she started eating meat when she was 7.

about a dozen who've been veggie/vegan for 10+ years and 2 or 3 all their lives/from 2-5... very big school
Reply 185
thedaveimperium
but should they impose THEIR beliefs on their children?

Why does that not also apply to meat-eaters?
All parents have a responsibility to teach their children right and wrong. If parents believe that eating meat is immoral or unethical, they want to ensure that it does not happen in their house. Just as they would ensure anything else that they believe is 'wrong' does not happen.
Annora
Why does that not also apply to meat-eaters?
All parents have a responsibility to teach their children right and wrong. If parents believe that eating meat is immoral or unethical, they want to ensure that it does not happen in their house. Just as they would ensure anything else that they believe is 'wrong' does not happen.

and if the parents thought that all blacks were immoral? or that non-christians were? you wouldn't want them to impose that belief.

of course it applies to meat eaters. but most people aren't veggie. meat eating is the (for want of a better word) default setting of a person
Melting Sugar.
I know tons of veggies/vegans, but as I said only 2 who've been a veggie from life - which is the exact same amount as you.

So you're basing all parents of children who were raised vegetarian all their life on two people?

:shifty:

no i was basing all parents of children who have been veggies since at most the age of 8, so 10 years or more. most have been veggies for longer
Melting Sugar.
But the children were at an age where, if they cared that much, they could've made a choice. Therefore the point in question is a little bit different compared to children who's parents completely made the choice for them from birth. No?

true but my point was should the parents make that choice for them? no
Melting Sugar.
Oh, I thought your point was that I was in the minority? (based on all 2 other people you know just like me :p:)

an earlier point. i've been quoted so much in this thread i lost track. (i feel like i'm fighting the meat eaters corner by my self).

as for you being in the minority, from conversations with veggie/vegan friends, you seem to be. you had a choice the two from life didn't. nor did another friend who went to live with his dad from age 6
Melting Sugar.
Ahh right (haha this is the original point which was the only one I was interested in - as I said i'm really not bothered by people who want to eat meat but I think if people want to raise their children as vegetarian then meat eaters have no right to criticise them for this as there is no REAL evidence to suggest it will harm the children).

So did the friend who changed at 6 change back to a meat eater at an age where he could fight against his dad (i.e. the teen years :p:) or did he just stay a veggie, and was he happy about it?

half and half now but he had some massive rows around 15/16
no i wrote my opinion if people don't know what imo means they are ******ed.
Reply 192
thedaveimperium
and if the parents thought that all blacks were immoral? or that non-christians were? you wouldn't want them to impose that belief.

No I wouldn't, but that's their right as parents. I don't think raising children to have respect for animals is really comparable to raising children to have no respect for other humans.

of course it applies to meat eaters. but most people aren't veggie. meat eating is the (for want of a better word) default setting of a person

So? Because something is prevalent doesn't mean it is not unethical.
Annora
No I wouldn't, but that's their right as parents. I don't think raising children to have respect for animals is really comparable to raising children to have no respect for other humans.

So? Because something is prevalent doesn't mean it is not unethical.

there's a difference between raising a child to respect animals and raising them to be vegan/veggie. i respect the way cows protect each other it dosen't stop me eating beef
Reply 194
thedaveimperium
there's a difference between raising a child to respect animals and raising them to be vegan/veggie. i respect the way cows protect each other it dosen't stop me eating beef

You think that exploiting, torturing and slaughtering cows is showing them respect?

Is this the sort of respect you mean?

And people have a problem with parents not allowing their families to contribute to this?

:no:
Annora
You think that exploiting, torturing and slaughtering cows is showing them respect?

Is this the sort of respect you mean?

And people have a problem with parents not allowing their families to contribute to this?

:no:

wow you can do veggie propaganda...

and is this respect for animal life?
it was in every newspaper you ******
Annora implied that to respect animals you have to be vegan/veggie, i replied that animals rights groups, whose members follow vegan/veggie lifestyles, wanted to murder an innocent polar bear.
not very respectful is it?
Reply 197
thedaveimperium
wow you can do veggie propaganda...

and is this respect for animal life?

Er, no.

:confused:

You're taking the view of one man (what organisation is he supposedly speaking for anyway? The article doesn't say) as a generalised view for all vegetarians. The article is obviously written because it's absurd.

Anyway, I never said anything about the hypothetical parents being animal rights activists.
Yes, I'm going to put years of rational thinking and scientific research in the bin because of your insightful post.

Latest

Trending

Trending