The Student Room Group

Should I report my neighbour to social services now or later?

Notes:
- Next door neighbour has three kids.
- I'm going to be honest and say that I find the husband very intimidating, he's 5'9 and very obese.

The situation

This evening I was in the middle of watching something on my phone with my noise cancelling headphones and I felt I could hear some sort of noise but didn't know what.

I took off my headphones and heard the dad "Ben" screaming at his kids. It was so loud I could hear it clearly. I heard all three kids cry 13,12,4. I even heard them shouting and them saying it wasn't me don't hit me.
I went to grab my phone to record this but the shouting stopped before I could press record. I've heard Ben shout in the past but nothing like this, and most of the time when I've heard him shout, he has shouted at his kids because they did something wrong.

Even though the kids did something wrong I do feel they shouldn't be shouted at just talked to. I'm really concerned about the kids now. I feel I need to report the kids to social services for their safety but I feel I don't have enough evidence to make social services get involved.

I'm really worried about the kids, should I report the kids to social services even if I don't have enough evidence or just wait so I can collect evidence? What would you do?
Reply 1
You can phone the police emergency number if you think a child is at immediate risk.

I've done this with neighbours and the police responded quickly, especially as the couple have a history of DV. I tried social services, but I couldn't give enough info on the family for them to action.

You could also call the non-emergency number for advice or one of these:

https://crimestoppers-uk.org/keeping-safe/child-neglect#:~:text=abuse%20through%20omission.-,In%20an%20emergency%2C%20always%20call%20999.,fill%20in%20our%20online%20form.
Reply 2
Bringing up kids may not be easy and talking to them may not work. Possibly this guy may have gone slightly over the top but in many years of him bringing up kids a perfect performance may not be likely. I'm not saying there may not be a concern but unless you see the kids with visible injury likely as a result of DV then I'm not so sure if I would do anything as it might not be anything enough to cause concern.

Also consider if it's likely you could come under suspicion as to the one that called Police or Social Services. Sure if it saves kids from abuse then it may be considered a lesser issue, but I would say unless you're certain be careful. It could be pretty awkward being next to them if it's found nothing of consequence happened and then they may bear a grudge.

End of the day up to you but I would say weigh it up and consider if it's necessary, i.e is it really abuse or just a very bad argument. Sometimes sone people are very vocal but not necessarily overly violent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending