The Student Room Group

Was this actual sexual assault or am I being dramatic?

So tw, obviously. This is all very confusing since I don’t remember when it started I just know it happened.

Around the time I was 7, 8 or 9, i made a joke around my cousin of how if we did play dates as mom (her) and dad (me) we should be intimate with each other. This might seem strange but as a kid with full internet access and open parents, I did already know what sex was. Mind you this was all a joke, we laughed it off and continued playing as if she was the mom and I were the dad.

After that, I don’t remember when, she started saying that we should in fact do it, since I was curious I said ok. I didn’t like it. It was only dry humping, no overly sexual stuff, but I didn’t like and asked her to stop. She stopped, but every single play date after she would bring it up and stranddle me and kissing my neck.

I made it obvious that I didn’t like it the first few times, but it came to a point where I knew I couldn’t do anything about it, I couldn’t convince her otherwise. I also didn’t tell my parents for two reasons:
1. I was embarrassed.
2. She said I would ruin the fun and that I was being childish.

So this dry humping went on until I was 12 or 13 where I started saying no again. At first she would convince me I was being dumb and childish and a drama queen. After a few more play dates I made I stop for good. I would force her out of my lap and make my best as to not be alone with her.

It’s been a couple of years since, I still wonder if i was a victim or if I was really just being dramatic.
I still flinch anytime someone slightly touches my breasts, as she used to caress them all the time and get panic attacks over the thought of her.

I hate my cousin with all my forces.
And yes, I know that normally when a child abuses another child they themselves are being abused, but I truly couldn’t care less. This has affected every aspect of my life. My self view, my friendships, i over sexualise myself, etc etc etc.

I just want someone to tell me if I am being over dramatic or if I should really work on this through therapy (in which I already am).
you were a child, you didn’t have the capacity to provide informed consent, and they, as adults, should have known this. yes this is sexual harassment/assault. even if you did say yes, it would be SA / harassment, because you were a child, you can’t consent fully until you’re 16 or over, depending on where you live and the laws of the place
Reply 2
I'm so sorry to hear about this. Yes, this is most definitely sexual assault: to quote, 'unwanted touching or any sexual acts without consent' are under the class of sexual assault. You're definitely not overreacting and please don't let anyone tell you so, so I hope you continue to work with it via therapy and that it all goes well: it's definitely important to do that. Best of luck, remember there are people that are here for you.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
So tw, obviously. This is all very confusing since I don’t remember when it started I just know it happened.

Around the time I was 7, 8 or 9, i made a joke around my cousin of how if we did play dates as mom (her) and dad (me) we should be intimate with each other. This might seem strange but as a kid with full internet access and open parents, I did already know what sex was. Mind you this was all a joke, we laughed it off and continued playing as if she was the mom and I were the dad.

After that, I don’t remember when, she started saying that we should in fact do it, since I was curious I said ok. I didn’t like it. It was only dry humping, no overly sexual stuff, but I didn’t like and asked her to stop. She stopped, but every single play date after she would bring it up and stranddle me and kissing my neck.

I made it obvious that I didn’t like it the first few times, but it came to a point where I knew I couldn’t do anything about it, I couldn’t convince her otherwise. I also didn’t tell my parents for two reasons:
1. I was embarrassed.
2. She said I would ruin the fun and that I was being childish.

So this dry humping went on until I was 12 or 13 where I started saying no again. At first she would convince me I was being dumb and childish and a drama queen. After a few more play dates I made I stop for good. I would force her out of my lap and make my best as to not be alone with her.

It’s been a couple of years since, I still wonder if i was a victim or if I was really just being dramatic.
I still flinch anytime someone slightly touches my breasts, as she used to caress them all the time and get panic attacks over the thought of her.

I hate my cousin with all my forces.
And yes, I know that normally when a child abuses another child they themselves are being abused, but I truly couldn’t care less. This has affected every aspect of my life. My self view, my friendships, i over sexualise myself, etc etc etc.

I just want someone to tell me if I am being over dramatic or if I should really work on this through therapy (in which I already am).

Hi,

Sorry you are going through this.

Just reaching out to you as I wanted to let you know there is support available out there that may be of use.

You may wish to reach out to:
- Victim Support
https://www.victimsupport.org.uk/
Get in touch anytime for independent, free, and confidential advice:
Call Supportline on 08 08 16 89 111

- NSPCC
Please call the NSPCC Helpline on 0808 800 5000 or email [email protected]. Please note that you still have the option to request anonymity via call or emails.

- Childline
Childline is free to contact on 0800 1111. Childline counsellors are here to take calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from children and young people under 19. Childline counsellors are also available to speak to online through 1-2-1 chat and via email.

I hope this is of use.

Please look after yourself.

Best wishes,
TSR Support

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending