The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Help with langugae course choice! Will it be right for me??

Hi all,

I am thinking of starting a beginners spanish course at the OU. Just wondered if anyone had experience of doing languages at the OU and what their experiences are? Is it hard doing it as distance learning as you dont get to speak the language in front of a class etc. And is it possible to become fleuent or very confident in the language with the OU.
I am interested in the spanish language and culture and really need something to work towards. With 2 young children and a job i no longer enjoy, i hope it will help to keep my mind active. With money and time tight, do you think an OU language course will be right for me?

Any views or comments would be great, to help me decide on what to do?? Many thanks!
Reply 1
briggs28
Hi all,

I am thinking of starting a beginners spanish course at the OU. Just wondered if anyone had experience of doing languages at the OU and what their experiences are?

You can find some information including reviews by previous students and statistics from our student satisfaction survey for the L194 Portales: beginners' Spanish
http://www3.open.ac.uk/coursereviews/course.aspx?course=l194

briggs28
Is it hard doing it as distance learning as you don’t get to speak the language in front of a class etc. And is it possible to become fleuent or very confident in the language with the OU.
I am interested in the Spanish language and culture and really need something to work towards. With 2 young children and a job i no longer enjoy, i hope it will help to keep my mind active.

Distance learning is challenging regardless of the subject area, the languages courses are delivered with blended learning, meaning we combine face to face and online learning techniques. You will have tutorials on the course giving you the opportunity to get together with students and your tutor to practise your chosen language. You will also have spoken and listening assignments as part of your course have a look at the course tasters’ website on the following link. This will allow you to get an idea of the style of learning and also what kind of assessment you can expect to have as part of your course. http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/tasters/l194/

briggs28
With money and time tight, do you think an OU language course will be right for me?

With regards to time the L194 is roughly 300 hours worth of study over 12 months so you’d be looking at about 5 6 hours of study per week, this is a rough indication of the amount of study and will vary based on your own study skills.

With regards to money, have you considered our financial support at all? Our financial support calculator will give you an indication of the funding available for you http://css2.open.ac.uk/fafcalculator/eligibility.aspx

If you’d prefer to talk to us about this I’d suggest we did it over the phone, I don’t think it would be a good idea to ask you personal information over a public forum. If you want, give us a call on 0845 300 6090 and we’ll be more than happy to go through the financial support criteria and order you a copy of our languages prospectus.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Latest