The Student Room Group

Does changing course look bad to employers?

I am a first-year student and am currently studying mathematics at university. I'm finding the content very difficult and I know I would be much more likely to get a first if I switch to a course like finance, accounting, and management or industrial economics.

Would this look bad to employers?
Original post by approvewells
I am a first-year student and am currently studying mathematics at university. I'm finding the content very difficult and I know I would be much more likely to get a first if I switch to a course like finance, accounting, and management or industrial economics.

Would this look bad to employers?

Change of course/Dropping a course doesn’t look bad to employers at the end of the day it’s your preference your choice. Do you believe those are the courses needed or to study to get you to where you want to after you’ve left university…
Reply 2
Original post by User_name001
Change of course/Dropping a course doesn’t look bad to employers at the end of the day it’s your preference your choice. Do you believe those are the courses needed or to study to get you to where you want to after you’ve left university…
Thanks for the reply. Would this still be the case even if I have to redo the entire year? This would be the only option for me if I wanted to change course.

Would it not be seen as a weakness having to drop a course?
Original post by approvewells
Thanks for the reply. Would this still be the case even if I have to redo the entire year? This would be the only option for me if I wanted to change course.

Would it not be seen as a weakness having to drop a course?

No at the end of the day pick something based on your liking that you’ll understand and enjoy and have fun at the same time you know your bound to get more success in. Dropping out or dropping out of a course isn’t seen a weakness there’s graduates in theirs 20s even 30s yet that’s not seen as a weakness to employers
As an employer, whether it looks bad or not depends on your narrative and messaging.

“I realised it wasn’t the right course for me. I therefore made the tough decision to change course and restart my degree. I feel this was the right choice because I graduated with a first. I learnt from this that its OK to check that a decision is still correct as and when new information becomes available and it’s never too late to do the right thing”
Reply 5
It doesn't look bad at all. You will have to start as a first year student on almost all courses (possibly a few exceptions).

Only thing to note is that a 2.1 from a decent university in maths may look better than a 1st in accounting/ business etc from the same university.
Reply 6
Original post by Johnny Valentine
As an employer, whether it looks bad or not depends on your narrative and messaging.

“I realised it wasn’t the right course for me. I therefore made the tough decision to change course and restart my degree. I feel this was the right choice because I graduated with a first. I learnt from this that its OK to check that a decision is still correct as and when new information becomes available and it’s never too late to do the right thing”
Okay great, this is really helpful, thank you.
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
It doesn't look bad at all. You will have to start as a first year student on almost all courses (possibly a few exceptions).

Only thing to note is that a 2.1 from a decent university in maths may look better than a 1st in accounting/ business etc from the same university.
I'm at a semi-target UK university, I didn't realise this was the case. Getting a 2.1 may be possible but it would still be a risk and I would not enjoy it at all. I was under the impression that investment banks do not care about your course that much and so getting a first in an 'easier' degree would still look better than a 2.1 in a STEM degree. Also, my course is 75% maths and 25% finance, so maybe a 2.1 in my degree would not be as impressive as a course which is 100% maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending