The Student Room Group

Birmingham, Loughborough or Sheffield?

I'm a Y13 applying for Medicine in October. My first 3 choices are:
- Oxford
- UCL
- Leicester

As well as this, I'm still a bit undecided on whether I want to apply for medicine or bioengineering. Because of that, I'm considering 2 of the 3 choices:

- Birmingham as a 4th choice for Medicine (more chance to get into a course, but less choice on my uni for Bioengineering).
- Sheffield for Bioengineering.
- Loughborough for Bioengineering.

In terms of a uni, I prefer bigger cities, campus unis, and the uni having a language program. Obviously Sheffield is a campus uni and Loughborough isn't in a big city, so I don't know if it would be better for me to apply for 3 medicine courses and both Loughborough and Sheffield, or 4 medicine courses and just one of Loughborough/Sheffield, and if so each one?

Thanks,

Jacob :smile:
Just apply for your 4 medicine choices for the October deadline.
Then do more research and add your 5th choice after Christmas but before the deadline.

Do any of your med choices offer biomed too? If you’re unsuccessful for medicine then you can always ask them to amend your application to biomed later on.
Original post by tastierspoon460
I'm a Y13 applying for Medicine in October. My first 3 choices are:
- Oxford
- UCL
- Leicester

As well as this, I'm still a bit undecided on whether I want to apply for medicine or bioengineering. Because of that, I'm considering 2 of the 3 choices:

- Birmingham as a 4th choice for Medicine (more chance to get into a course, but less choice on my uni for Bioengineering).
- Sheffield for Bioengineering.
- Loughborough for Bioengineering.

In terms of a uni, I prefer bigger cities, campus unis, and the uni having a language program. Obviously Sheffield is a campus uni and Loughborough isn't in a big city, so I don't know if it would be better for me to apply for 3 medicine courses and both Loughborough and Sheffield, or 4 medicine courses and just one of Loughborough/Sheffield, and if so each one?

Thanks,

Jacob :smile:

Hi @tastierspoon460,

Great to hear you're interested in studying at Loughborough :smile:

In this situation, I would look back over each of the course pages and weigh up whether one attracts you more than the other and whether one will help you meet your aspirations for the future better.

From your post, I think location is important to you, so I would consider where the universities are again and also learn more about each of the campuses to see whether you'd feel you'd be happier at one over the other.

I wouldn't forget the social side of the universities as well. I would take a look at the societies and sports teams they offer if this is something you're interested in and the other activities the universities offer for you to get involved with as well.

In my opinion, you should choose universities that are right for you and where you will see yourself being most happy.

I hope this helps :smile:

- Lindsay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending