The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
alex_hk90
Or why not continue all 5 subjects to A2? As you'll know, compared to the Economics Tripos, 5 A2s is a doss.

I agree that taking 5 A levels is no doubt easier than Tripos, but I disagree that just because of this the OP should take 5 A-levels.

4 subjects is more than enough and taking 5 is unlikely to improve the chance of his application being successful. Why do more work than you need to, for no extra gain? If he wants to drop Physics, he should.
jcb914
I agree that taking 5 A levels is no doubt easier than Tripos, but I disagree that just because of this the OP should take 5 A-levels.

4 subjects is more than enough and taking 5 is unlikely to improve the chance of his application being successful. Why do more work than you need to, for no extra gain? If he wants to drop Physics, he should.

It may be coincidental, but all the Economists in my year at my college took 5 A2s. For such a competitive subject, other people applying will be on course for 5 As (at least) at A2. Since the OP took 5 ASs, dropping a subject at A2 is a signal that 5 A2s was considered too difficult or too much work, which is something you don't want to do. I agree with you in that if you wanted to just do 4 subjects at A-level that would be fine, but once you've chosen to do 5 dropping one (especially Physics which is considered a strong A-level for some reason) is a risky move.
Reply 22
alex_hk90
It may be coincidental, but all the Economists in my year at my college took 5 A2s. For such a competitive subject, other people applying will be on course for 5 As (at least) at A2. Since the OP took 5 ASs, dropping a subject at A2 is a signal that 5 A2s was considered too difficult or too much work, which is something you don't want to do. I agree with you in that if you wanted to just do 4 subjects at A-level that would be fine, but once you've chosen to do 5 dropping one (especially Physics which is considered a strong A-level for some reason) is a risky move.
I disagree. If you achieve a very strong UMS for AS Physics this clearly indicates you are not dropping it because it is too difficult or too much work.

The Cambridge admissions director, and countless colleges, clearly state their policy on this issue. Take a look here, for example, - http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/responses/alevelnos.doc - it's a little dated, but sets out clearly that "For Arts and Social Sciences courses, therefore, we are much keener that applicants show broader and deeper knowledge of their chosen subject (or those closest to it if a 'new' subject) rather than accumulating extra A levels".

Obviously different DoS's have different preferences, and some may prefer their applicants to have extra A-levels. But if the OP does drop Physics and apply - and then get rejected - I don't think they can blame the fact they "only" did 4 A-levels as the reason. Four is more than enough and if they like him at interview, he should be successful.
jcb914
I disagree. If you achieve a very strong UMS for AS Physics this clearly indicates you are not dropping it because it is too difficult or too much work.

I'm not saying that 4 is not enough, I'm saying that starting out with 5 then dropping one sends a poor signal, especially if against other candidates who continued all 5, or even started with 4 and continued 4. Yes if it's a choice between more depth in Economics and Physics A2 then go for more depth in Economics, but you really should be able to do both. Obviously I'm not involved in admissions but that's how I would see it if I was and for the vast majority of Economists in my year which I have information for I know they did 5 A2s (I acknowledge some self-selection and simultaneity here but I still think it's relevant).

jcb914
The Cambridge admissions director, and countless colleges, clearly state their policy on this issue. Take a look here, for example, - http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/responses/alevelnos.doc - it's a little dated, but sets out clearly that "For Arts and Social Sciences courses, therefore, we are much keener that applicants show broader and deeper knowledge of their chosen subject (or those closest to it if a 'new' subject) rather than accumulating extra A levels".

This doesn't say that accumulating extra A levels is not advantageous ceteris paribus.

jcb914
Obviously different DoS's have different preferences, and some may prefer their applicants to have extra A-levels. But if the OP does drop Physics and apply - and then get rejected - I don't think they can blame the fact they "only" did 4 A-levels as the reason. Four is more than enough and if they like him at interview, he should be successful.

This is true - at interview he'll definitely have a chance. I just feel that he'll have a better chance being on course for 5 A*s as opposed to being on course for 4 A*s (obviously 4 A*s is preferable to 3 A*s and lower grades in the others).
A bit worrying that you can't get full ums in C1 and C2.
Reply 25
alex_hk90
:toofunny: But yeah, generally I agree - just change it to "Physics is inexplicably considered a tough A-level" and you've got it about right.

haha it's true. It most certainly is over-rated in terms of how difficult is :yes:
Dropping a few UMS in C1 or C2 is of no significance, it may just mean one error with a minus sign.

Was the Physics module out of 90? If so, 87 is fine.
Reply 27
roginho
I would suggest that keeping Physics on to A2 would help your application. Other than that, your grades are good enough. Do you have any long-term ambitions to work in finance?
What does this have to do with his application?
Reply 28
alex_hk90
Or why not continue all 5 subjects to A2? As you'll know, compared to the Economics Tripos, 5 A2s is a doss.

This is a good point - I got my school to include my UMS in my reference so all the other unis could see them as well.

Agreed. :smile:

A bit off-topic, but anyway: I'm just about to go into 3rd year - do you have any suggestions for useful preparatory reading for Papers 1, 2, 4 and 10?

For micro read some stuff by Newbery - that'll help for the SCBA and AWE stuff. Krugman & Obstfeld for Trade. Dasgupta's papers for Soc Cap.

For macro Carlin and Soskice for the policy stuff. Business cycles I used lecture notes. Economic Growth I used lecture notes. I think there are some decent grad level textbooks though. I didn't use them.

Didn't do ETA or metrics so I can't help you there but take a look at the course outlines and the relevant lecturers' websites for what to read.

Tbh, I did no pre-reading over summer as I was working and got a decent 2.1.
Reply 29
I'd say with those grades you stand a very good chance of Cambridge or the LSE, but pick Saint Andrews or Warwick as an insurance.
Reply 30
How many A level students nationwide do 5 A2s - 2/3%? It's not even an option at most schools unless you self teach.

And come on, 87 in a semi-important subject is not even close to a killer. Average UMS scores for successful Cam applicants is around 90%, perhaps a touch higher for a more competitive subjet like Econ.

There are plenty of other factors to consider - the 2 subjs you got As in at GCSE, your full AS levels of course, your personal statement and your interview for Cambridge. You seem well on track just keep going and make yourself stand out etc.
Pluto1989
For micro read some stuff by Newbery - that'll help for the SCBA and AWE stuff. Krugman & Obstfeld for Trade. Dasgupta's papers for Soc Cap.

For macro Carlin and Soskice for the policy stuff. Business cycles I used lecture notes. Economic Growth I used lecture notes. I think there are some decent grad level textbooks though. I didn't use them.

Didn't do ETA or metrics so I can't help you there but take a look at the course outlines and the relevant lecturers' websites for what to read.

Tbh, I did no pre-reading over summer as I was working and got a decent 2.1.

Thanks. :smile: Though apparently the Micro course is changing significantly since students didn't like the essay-based nature of it. Having a quick glance at a recent past paper, I hope this is true.

Bakeyy
How many A level students nationwide do 5 A2s - 2/3%? It's not even an option at most schools unless you self teach.

How many A-level students nationwide apply and get offers for Economics at Cambridge and LSE? What matters is how you compare against them. Most schools will offer you the choice to do 4 A2s, and if they don't then you should consider self-teaching.

Bakeyy
And come on, 87 in a semi-important subject is not even close to a killer.

Agreed.

Bakeyy
Average UMS scores for successful Cam applicants is around 90%, perhaps a touch higher for a more competitive subjet like Econ.

Hmm, I haven't seen any stats recently but I'd say that 90% is probably closer to the average score for all Cambridge Economics applicants, rather than successful ones.

Bakeyy
There are plenty of other factors to consider - the 2 subjs you got As in at GCSE, your full AS levels of course, your personal statement and your interview for Cambridge. You seem well on track just keep going and make yourself stand out etc.

The personal statement is not so important for Cambridge (more so for LSE) but the interview can make a significant difference, yes.
Reply 32
The two gcse subject I got A's in were Geography and English Language. I'm thinking of doing an Extended Project rather than continuing Physics to A2 to show depth in my economic interest (any opinions on this?). Having been to both the open days I enjoyed Cambridge a lot more and I am now considering not applying to LSE.
Reply 33
alex_hk90
I'm not saying that 4 is not enough, I'm saying that starting out with 5 then dropping one sends a poor signal, especially if against other candidates who continued all 5, or even started with 4 and continued 4.

I struggle to see how this is the case considering the policy of my school and the majority in the UK is to commence with 4 AS levels (at my school 5 if further maths is taken) the drop 1 subject at the end of the year. Maybe it is different abroad? (I notice you are a foreign student).
tm250
The two gcse subject I got A's in were Geography and English Language. I'm thinking of doing an Extended Project rather than continuing Physics to A2 to show depth in my economic interest (any opinions on this?). Having been to both the open days I enjoyed Cambridge a lot more and I am now considering not applying to LSE.

No idea about EPs - you'll have to contact Cambridge about that. And surely you'll still apply to both since you have 5 places on your UCAS form?

tm250
I struggle to see how this is the case considering the policy of my school and the majority in the UK is to commence with 4 AS levels (at my school 5 if further maths is taken) the drop 1 subject at the end of the year. Maybe it is different abroad? (I notice you are a foreign student).

I'm not actually a foreign student - I've been living in the UK since well before my GCSEs. And at my school you got to choose if you wanted to drop a subject, which I thought was a relatively standard policy.
Reply 35
Ok out of interest did you go to a state or private school?
The thing about LSE is that i like the idea of the community atmosphere which I understand is not so stong there.
I think I will look at other campus type unis such as Durham as alternatives to Cambridge.

Do you have any reading recomendations to help prepare me (I am currently reading 'The Truth about Markets')?

Cheers
tm250
Ok out of interest did you go to a state or private school?

State grammar (selective).

tm250
The thing about LSE is that i like the idea of the community atmosphere which I understand is not so stong there.
I think I will look at other campus type unis such as Durham as alternatives to Cambridge.

Fair enough.

tm250
Do you have any reading recomendations to help prepare me (I am currently reading 'The Truth about Markets')?

You've probably already read it, but the book I enjoyed most during the application process was "The Worldly Philosophers", about the history of economic thought.
Reply 37
[QUOTE="alex_hk90"]How many A-level students nationwide apply and get offers for Economics at Cambridge and LSE? What matters is how you compare against them. Most schools will offer you the choice to do 4 A2s, and if they don't then you should consider self-teaching./QUOTE]

I have been told by Cambridge admissions departments that 4A2s is not necessary, let alone 5. Doing 4 is pretty normal but it is better to do 3 than do something you don't want to and don't need, when you could just do some extra research instead.

alex_hk90
Hmm, I haven't seen any stats recently but I'd say that 90% is probably closer to the average score for all Cambridge Economics applicants, rather than successful ones.

Got told this at an information evening by speakers from Churchill College. I think it is about 91%.
Bakeyy
I have been told by Cambridge admissions departments that 4A2s is not necessary, let alone 5. Doing 4 is pretty normal but it is better to do 3 than do something you don't want to and don't need, when you could just do some extra research instead.

The thing is that most (successful) applicants (for Economics) would have done at least 4 and then the extra reading on top of that.
Reply 39
I'm also thinking of applying to LSE and I only got 7A*'s at GCSE so you do have a good chance of getting in at LSE. If I was you I would drop Geography as it is not really related to Economics and Physics is the better A level than Geography. Regarding Cambridge I think you should apply as there are people in my school who only got 85% on Core 1 and are being persuaded by teachers to apply:confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending