The Student Room Group

Languages advice?

I'm applying for 2011 entry, and I'm looking to do languages. I'm doing A level German, and I think I'm going to combine German with another language at university, more than likely Italian. If I start attending evening classes/taking a course online to learn Italian or whatever language I decide to do alongside German, will the universities look on me more favourably?
I want to do languages as well, but German with Chinese or Spanish.
It'll help and show that you are serious about languages, as well as giving you a taster of the language you are studying.
I think it depends upon the level you get to as well. With ab inito languages some start from beginners or post GCSE, depending on how good you are. So you may be able to start from a higher level if you get to GCSE. It all depends on what the uni offers though.
fortunecookie
I want to do languages as well, but German with Chinese or Spanish.
It'll help and show that you are serious about languages, as well as giving you a taster of the language you are studying.
I think it depends upon the level you get to as well. With ab inito languages some start from beginners or post GCSE, depending on how good you are. So you may be able to start from a higher level if you get to GCSE. It all depends on what the uni offers though.

All the ones I've checked out offer languages from scratch :smile:
(:Becca(:
All the ones I've checked out offer languages from scratch :smile:

That's ok then :smile: It may be worth checking to see whether you can start from GCSE level as well, as you'll probably be able to reach that relatively easily with a few evening classes or something.

Having said that, when I was looking into Chinese at SOAS they divide the year into beginners and 'post GCSE'. The post GCSE get less teaching time, but same content, which to me seems a disadvantage.

Just something worth thinking about :smile:
fortunecookie
That's ok then :smile: It may be worth checking to see whether you can start from GCSE level as well, as you'll probably be able to reach that relatively easily with a few evening classes or something.

Having said that, when I was looking into Chinese at SOAS they divide the year into beginners and 'post GCSE'. The post GCSE get less teaching time, but same content, which to me seems a disadvantage.

Just something worth thinking about :smile:

Ah, I couldn't do Chinese, having to learn a new way of writing would totally confuse me. D:
Ah, I couldn't do Chinese, having to learn a new way of writing would totally confuse me. D:

You may find you'll be able to do it with italian. Just out of interest, where are you thinking of applying? I've spoken to so few language applicants, especially german!
Hey, Im wanting to apply for Languages for Sept 2011.

I also do A Level German but i'm wanting to do Spanish alongside German at Uni so that will be beginners. Throughout yr 12 i have been going to a spanish night class 2 hours per week and in yr 13 im hoping to do GCSE or get to GCSE standard.

I think it is an advantage but i would prefer to go into the beginners class and be better than everyone and not have to cram to keep up as i can imagine it being tough.

Also some Uni's that i liked say you need A level in both languages to do them i.e. York or Leeds but you can do Single Honours German and then do beginners spanish as a elective every year so then its like a major minor degree like 2/3 German, 1/3 Spanish...just a thought.

What Uni's are you thinking of applying to??
fortunecookie
You may find you'll be able to do it with italian. Just out of interest, where are you thinking of applying? I've spoken to so few language applicants, especially german!

I'm thinking of applying to Edinburgh, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, and I'm not sure what my 5th will be.
Trytostaypositive
Hey, Im wanting to apply for Languages for Sept 2011.

I also do A Level German but i'm wanting to do Spanish alongside German at Uni so that will be beginners. Throughout yr 12 i have been going to a spanish night class 2 hours per week and in yr 13 im hoping to do GCSE or get to GCSE standard.

I think it is an advantage but i would prefer to go into the beginners class and be better than everyone and not have to cram to keep up as i can imagine it being tough.

Also some Uni's that i liked say you need A level in both languages to do them i.e. York or Leeds but you can do Single Honours German and then do beginners spanish as a elective every year so then its like a major minor degree like 2/3 German, 1/3 Spanish...just a thought.

What Uni's are you thinking of applying to??

Ah, Leeds says I only need an A level in German to do the course I want.
Ah, Leeds says I only need an A level in German to do the course I want.

Yh they told me that aswell...you can do German with Italian and you only need A Level in German

Is that what your thinking of??
Trytostaypositive
Yh they told me that aswell...you can do German with Italian and you only need A Level in German

Is that what your thinking of??

Yeah, it's one of the ones I'm going for.
Yeah, it's one of the ones I'm going for.

Have you been to the Uni on an open day?? I went in June.
Trytostaypositive
Have you been to the Uni on an open day?? I went in June.

No, I'll probably be going in September though.

Latest

Trending

Trending