Science: 9, 9
Maths: 8
RE: 7
Music: 7
German: 6
Business: 6
English Literature: 7
Ensligh Language: 5

I was wondering if it is still possible to get into any medical school with these grades as although that they meet the entry requirments for quite a few universities I always see everyone else applying for medicine with much higher grades (Please give your honest opinion and any possible advice). Thanks.

Also, for A-levels I am predicted (for Chemistry, Biology, Maths and EPQ) A, A*, A*, A*

And by the time that I have applied, in terms of work experience I would have:
- Spent around 30 hours shadowing a doctor in A&E
- Shadowed a neurosurgeon for a week
- Shadowed and taught for roughly 20 hours by a senior consultant Neurophsyiologist
- Spend 10 months volunteering
- Spent 30 hours in a surgery with a nurse and a gp

And also I really do not mind what medical school school I apply for I just genuinely want to get in and from now onwards I truly would do anything to increase my chances of getting in
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
80h of experience?? cuh i dont think i've revised for that long total in yr 12
Reply 2
I'm not an expert with med school applications but I do have an offer for this September

ur GCSEs are likely going to remove some choices especially with a 5 in English Language so u need to check grade requirements and how the unis select for interviews very carefully, ik for this year there was a good thread on here where ppl got advice on where to apply after getting their UCAT scores.

Also, your predicted grades are very solid and the volume of work experience you've done is amazing if u can speak on what you've learned from them in interviews I'd say you've got a good chance of getting offers.

Like I said earlier the main issue may be getting interviews cause its very competitive, so for next steps would be to get a strong UCAT score / BMAT (easier said than done I'll admit) and then to be very selective with where u apply to maximise ur chances of getting interviews if u look at the selection criteria on uni websites u can tell which are more grade focused and which are more contextual e.g. work experience / personal statement.

Hope this helps, but I also think u may get better advice posting this on a medicine forum there's many gd threads on there, this website may be useful for seeing all the grade requirments (https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studying-medicine/making-an-application/entry-requirements)
Good luck with ur application
Reply 3
Original post by Ancde2
I want to go to medical school and my GCSE's are:

Science: 9, 9
Maths: 8
RE: 7
Music: 7
German: 6
Business: 6
English Literature: 7
Ensligh Language: 5

I was wondering if it is still possible to get into any medical school with these grades as although that they meet the entry requirments for quite a few universities I always see everyone else applying for medicine with much higher grades (Please give your honest opinion and any possible advice). Thanks.

Also, for A-levels I am predicted (for Chemistry, Biology, Maths and EPQ) A, A*, A*, A*

And by the time that I have applied, in terms of work experience I would have:
- Spent around 30 hours shadowing a doctor in A&E
- Shadowed a neurosurgeon for a week
- Shadowed and taught for roughly 20 hours by a senior consultant Neurophsyiologist
- Spend 10 months volunteering
- Spent 30 hours in a surgery with a nurse and a gp

And also I really do not mind what medical school school I apply for I just genuinely want to get in and from now onwards I truly would do anything to increase my chances of getting in

Your 5 in Eng Lang is going to cause you the problem, as very few med schools will accept this
They are:

Bristol, Oxford, Cambridge, Exeter, Newcastle, Plymouth, and St Andrews
QUB and Leeds (though GCSE scoring is a large part of both of their selection scoring)
Glasgow have apparently said they will accept a C/5 in Eng Lang with a 6/B in Eng Lit

Your A levels predictions make Exeter unlikely. Cambridge and Oxford are pretty much a lottery and they need a high BMAT. Glasgow, St Andrews, Bristol and Newcastle require a high 2800s or more UCAT.

Your best bet it to resit your English as then you will have many more options
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice, the only problem I have for english language is that if I wanted to retake it, I would have to take a gap year as the next resits for english GCSEs are in late october- early november, meaning that I don't think that I would not be able to get the results back and sent off in time before UCAS is sent off. Do you think if I was to resit english language and do much better, my chances of being accepting to medicine will be much higher?
Reply 5
Original post by Frozetman
I'm not an expert with med school applications but I do have an offer for this September

ur GCSEs are likely going to remove some choices especially with a 5 in English Language so u need to check grade requirements and how the unis select for interviews very carefully, ik for this year there was a good thread on here where ppl got advice on where to apply after getting their UCAT scores.

Also, your predicted grades are very solid and the volume of work experience you've done is amazing if u can speak on what you've learned from them in interviews I'd say you've got a good chance of getting offers.

Like I said earlier the main issue may be getting interviews cause its very competitive, so for next steps would be to get a strong UCAT score / BMAT (easier said than done I'll admit) and then to be very selective with where u apply to maximise ur chances of getting interviews if u look at the selection criteria on uni websites u can tell which are more grade focused and which are more contextual e.g. work experience / personal statement.

Hope this helps, but I also think u may get better advice posting this on a medicine forum there's many gd threads on there, this website may be useful for seeing all the grade requirments (https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studying-medicine/making-an-application/entry-requirements)
Good luck with ur application

Thank you for the advive, if all goes well and I get a good UCAT score, do you think that there is a high chance of me getting into medical school? As I am now really swaying towards retaking English language as I really want to get in but that would mean that I would have to take a gap year, what would you recommend me doing?
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice, the only problem I have for english language is that if I wanted to retake it, I would have to take a gap year as the next resits for english GCSEs are in late october- early november, meaning that I don't think that I would not be able to get the results back and sent off in time before UCAS is sent off. Do you think if I was to resit english language and do much better, my chances of being accepting to medicine will be much higher?
Original post by GANFYD
Your 5 in Eng Lang is going to cause you the problem, as very few med schools will accept this
They are:

Bristol, Oxford, Cambridge, Exeter, Newcastle, Plymouth, and St Andrews
QUB and Leeds (though GCSE scoring is a large part of both of their selection scoring)
Glasgow have apparently said they will accept a C/5 in Eng Lang with a 6/B in Eng Lit

Your A levels predictions make Exeter unlikely. Cambridge and Oxford are pretty much a lottery and they need a high BMAT. Glasgow, St Andrews, Bristol and Newcastle require a high 2800s or more UCAT.

Your best bet it to resit your English as then you will have many more options
Reply 7
Original post by Ancde2

If you have a grade 6, you will have many more options to choose from, which makes success more likely, but it will not make a difference to whether you are accepted at those that do not require it.
You can resit and apply wiht a pending grade, like your A levels - a 6+ would just be part of your offer requirement, if you were made one. DO check any med schools accepts GCSE resits, as not all do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending