The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1
£12 per week is not a great deal, from talking to people I think the average they pay is about £7-10 so unless you are prepared to pay for the convenience of not having to sort it and want to have your heating on 24/7 then sorting it yourself should work out cheaper.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
That sounds pretty expensive - remember it'll add up over the year, especially if they charge a flat fee as your gas and electricity bills will be lower in spring and summer. Doing it yourself isn't that much bother at all.
Reply 3
jmonson
Hey..
Moving from an all-inclusive rent package to a house where we have to sort it out for ourselves. Our landlord recommends a company called Glide who cover water, gas, electricity, phone and broadband for approx. £12/week. Is this a good deal?

If not, do you recommend doing it with individual companies? How do you think it is best?

Thanks in advance!

As others have said, you're definitely paying a lot for not having to arrange them individually. I'd also be particularly wary that a company like that has no incentive to provide a *good* service, just a cheap one to get as much money as possible, so I wouldn't anticipate great customer service when the internet suddenly disappears.

Doing them individually really isn't too hard.
Reply 4
Ahh thanks for the advance! I think we might open a house bank account and put about £100 each in at the beginning of each term and top up if necessary. I don't want arguments!

Thank you everyone :smile:
Reply 5
jmonson
Ahh thanks for the advance! I think we might open a house bank account and put about £100 each in at the beginning of each term and top up if necessary. I don't want arguments!

Thank you everyone :smile:

I've always been advised against doing that - it means that your credit ratings are all associated if one of you screws up financially.

Honestly, the best thing is for you to divide the bills up so it's not one person nagging all the time. Obviously one of you will probably have to have gas and electric, but it's not really a bit deal in my experience.

Latest