The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham colleges for 2024 entry

I'm stuck on deciding colleges for Durham this year. I'm doing Business and management so the main uni campus and that Hilde whatever one is probably out of the question due it being much further away. Are there any recs or things I should keep in mind when deciding?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm stuck on deciding colleges for Durham this year. I'm doing Business and management so the main uni campus and that Hilde whatever one is probably out of the question due it being much further away. Are there any recs or things I should keep in mind when deciding?
Interested to know when you heard back? My daughter applied to the same course (beg January) and it is the only school she hasn't heard from.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hiya!

Congratulations on your offer! I will say, a vast majority of first years never have any of their lectures or seminars in their department building so you don't necessarily have to choose a college near your department. It's quite a common misconception I'm aware, but almost all students tend to have their lectures and seminars in different buildings or departments as we are a campus city. So I would recommend choosing colleges based on whether you prefer catered or self catered, or perhaps the facilities/clubs/societies they have :smile:

I hope this helps!

-Ghala
Hiya, current Durham student here! As has been said by Ghala above, I wouldn't let the proximity of your department be a massive factor in college choice. I'm at the college that I ranked 4th overall (Stephenson!) and I couldn't love it more, despite its distance from my department (Engineering). I would suggest that you do decide on things like catered vs self-catered and if you can get to an offer-holder day, it's fantastic to get to see the colleges in person and get a feel for the general vibe, how they look and what it would physically be like to live there. Stevo is great because it's quite small and is surrounded by fields and trees and it feels like a real community because everyone kind of knows everyone else. Everyone has their preferences though and I would say it matters more what the overall say, top 5 colleges you rank are, rather than which one is individually at the top as I know a lot of people do get reallocated post-results day. Hope this helps!
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #2
Interested to know when you heard back? My daughter applied to the same course (beg January) and it is the only school she hasn't heard from.

I heard back last month- however I also literally got another offer yesterday, and I'm still waiting on Warwick- so I would say not to be worried at all! I'd say if it gets to mid/end of may with no response she could write to admissions to solidify her interest and get a feel for their timeline
Reply 5
Original post by GiftedDipstick
Hiya, current Durham student here! As has been said by Ghala above, I wouldn't let the proximity of your department be a massive factor in college choice. I'm at the college that I ranked 4th overall (Stephenson!) and I couldn't love it more, despite its distance from my department (Engineering). I would suggest that you do decide on things like catered vs self-catered and if you can get to an offer-holder day, it's fantastic to get to see the colleges in person and get a feel for the general vibe, how they look and what it would physically be like to live there. Stevo is great because it's quite small and is surrounded by fields and trees and it feels like a real community because everyone kind of knows everyone else. Everyone has their preferences though and I would say it matters more what the overall say, top 5 colleges you rank are, rather than which one is individually at the top as I know a lot of people do get reallocated post-results day. Hope this helps!
ahh thank you so much! I really like the sound of Stevenson! A lot of info I find online about durham accoms seems to be pretty dated for some reason haha (5+ years ago). is there a big difference in socials/ college events between the colleges?
ahh thank you so much! I really like the sound of Stevenson! A lot of info I find online about durham accoms seems to be pretty dated for some reason haha (5+ years ago). is there a big difference in socials/ college events between the colleges?

Oh I’m so glad you like the sound of stevo!! I know they say you love wherever you end up but it has been so true for me and I couldn’t recommend it enough! With regards to college events, it does tend to vary a bit, especially with things like formals. At Stevo we have maybe a formal every term or so but ‘locomotion dinners’ more frequently for events like Diwali, burns night, valentine’s day etc. They are semi-formal but are essentially the same thing as formals just without such a strict dress code. Other colleges I know do have formals (much) more frequently and some are of course gowned but that’s a matter of personal preference really, it’s no great shakes either way! Other college events like balls are pretty much the same between colleges, I know some colleges do have one of their balls actually in college but at stevo we have them at venues that are very very pretty and it’s a great evening. Other than that, most college social time comes from societies I would say! I’m part of Stephenson grow soc which is a gardening society, we meet every Wednesday and then have socials every few weeks where we do things like college bar crawls, pot painting, walks round the local area, all very wholesome stuff! Again, the types of societies vary by college but I can guarantee you’ll find something you’ll enjoy at whichever college you go to (though of course Stephenson is the best!). As you can tell I’m really happy to talk about this stuff so if you have any other questions please do send them my way!

Quick Reply

Latest