The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham college rankings.

I recently got an offer from Durham and I think I am going to put it as my firm but i need to rank the colleges and I've been doing lots of research but lots of people I have spoken/ things I have read are a but out of date. I'm want to go somewhere where there is a high chance of living in the college and where there are lots of friendly people. Also not sure whether I want catered or not. Any help would be great!
Original post by buzzandrews
I recently got an offer from Durham and I think I am going to put it as my firm but i need to rank the colleges and I've been doing lots of research but lots of people I have spoken/ things I have read are a but out of date. I'm want to go somewhere where there is a high chance of living in the college and where there are lots of friendly people. Also not sure whether I want catered or not. Any help would be great!

Hiya,

Firstly, congratulations on your offer! Secondly, navigating colleges and college preference can be quite intimidating and tricky but it seems that you've already made a start, which is great :smile:

Like you said, students tend to choose their college based on whether they want catered or self catered, and we have a variety of colleges for both options. Catered for some people is more coinvent as you don't have to cook but the downside is food preference and whether you like the food and sticking to the specific meal times. With self catered, you get the option of full control over your meals as you're the one making them, which can also be a downside for people who don't want to or don't like to choose or don't have the time. So both options have their pros and cons.

People also choose their college based on whether they want a Hill or Bailey college. Bailey is more 'traditional', whereas Hill is more modern but either way, there isn't much of a difference between them other than location and stereotype/aesthetic. Distance to campus is somewhat important but as we are a campus city, first years will have their lectures/seminars all over the place so proximity to your department isn't crucial in first year. Lastly, people also tend to choose colleges based on facilities, sports, clubs, societies, etc.

With that being said, whichever college you choose or are allocated, you will find an amazing community of people there so don't stress too much :smile:

Help! How do I pick a college? The Durham Student
To cater, or not to cater? That is the question. The Durham Student

I've included the link to one of our student blogs on how to pick a college and catered vs self catered colleges, if you'd like to have a read through, it can provide some great insight!

Best of Luck and I hope this helps

-Ghala
(edited 1 month ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by buzzandrews

Hi there,

I went to the offer holders day with my daughter yesterday. Originally she was firm that she wanted self-catering but she has now completely changed her mind. In my opinion catered is best because:

1) Moving to uni is a big change - you have a lot to think about and a lot to deal with - new city, making friends, starting a new course, being away from home. Having to do shopping and cooking is an extra responsibility that can wait until year 2.

2) The catered colleges provide a great opportunity to meet a wider range of people at mealtimes. Also learning to speak to strangers and have dinner with them is a great life skill. When I first started working and going to conferences etc, I felt daunted walking into a room full of people and sitting down with strangers and I wish I'd gone to a university like Durham to learn those skills at that age. Being able to make conversation with a wider range of people will be a life skill you can take into the workplace and it will help you.

3) Avoiding self-catering avoids having arguments with people you live with over whose turn it is to clean up etc. My eldest daughter is in self-catering halls at a different uni and there is one person in their flat that never cleans up after himself and it causes tension and arguments. It might sound more independent to go self catering but when you've lived off spag bol for an entire week you'll be wishing you'd chosen catered.

Those are just my personal opinions! I would try and go to an offer holders day as each college is very different. We managed to look at Hatfield, Greys, Collingwood and St Marys yesterday and each had quite a different feel.

Congratulations on your offer - it's a great uni!
Reply 3
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya,
Firstly, congratulations on your offer! Secondly, navigating colleges and college preference can be quite intimidating and tricky but it seems that you've already made a start, which is great :smile:
Like you said, students tend to choose their college based on whether they want catered or self catered, and we have a variety of colleges for both options. Catered for some people is more coinvent as you don't have to cook but the downside is food preference and whether you like the food and sticking to the specific meal times. With self catered, you get the option of full control over your meals as you're the one making them, which can also be a downside for people who don't want to or don't like to choose or don't have the time. So both options have their pros and cons.
People also choose their college based on whether they want a Hill or Bailey college. Bailey is more 'traditional', whereas Hill is more modern but either way, there isn't much of a difference between them other than location and stereotype/aesthetic. Distance to campus is somewhat important but as we are a campus city, first years will have their lectures/seminars all over the place so proximity to your department isn't crucial in first year. Lastly, people also tend to choose colleges based on facilities, sports, clubs, societies, etc.
With that being said, whichever college you choose or are allocated, you will find an amazing community of people there so don't stress too much :smile:
Help! How do I pick a college? The Durham Student
To cater, or not to cater? That is the question. The Durham Student
I've included the link to one of our student blogs on how to pick a college and catered vs self catered colleges, if you'd like to have a read through, it can provide some great insight!
Best of Luck and I hope this helps
-Ghala

thank you so much this is very helpful!
Reply 4
Original post by MumofAleveller
Hi there,
I went to the offer holders day with my daughter yesterday. Originally she was firm that she wanted self-catering but she has now completely changed her mind. In my opinion catered is best because:
1) Moving to uni is a big change - you have a lot to think about and a lot to deal with - new city, making friends, starting a new course, being away from home. Having to do shopping and cooking is an extra responsibility that can wait until year 2.
2) The catered colleges provide a great opportunity to meet a wider range of people at mealtimes. Also learning to speak to strangers and have dinner with them is a great life skill. When I first started working and going to conferences etc, I felt daunted walking into a room full of people and sitting down with strangers and I wish I'd gone to a university like Durham to learn those skills at that age. Being able to make conversation with a wider range of people will be a life skill you can take into the workplace and it will help you.
3) Avoiding self-catering avoids having arguments with people you live with over whose turn it is to clean up etc. My eldest daughter is in self-catering halls at a different uni and there is one person in their flat that never cleans up after himself and it causes tension and arguments. It might sound more independent to go self catering but when you've lived off spag bol for an entire week you'll be wishing you'd chosen catered.
Those are just my personal opinions! I would try and go to an offer holders day as each college is very different. We managed to look at Hatfield, Greys, Collingwood and St Marys yesterday and each had quite a different feel.
Congratulations on your offer - it's a great uni!

thank you very much - I will have a look at going to an offer holders day :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest