The Student Room Group

Politics or French?

I know there's loads of threads like this, sorry :o:

Basically, I'm not sure which AS to take, Politics or French? Currently I've chosen History, English Combined, German and Politics, but I really do want to take French. I love languages and feel like I'm wasting the French I've already learnt by not taking it :s-smilie: But is it just a waste of time taking German and French? Because I have a genuine interest in politics too.

I'm so indecisive :rolleyes:

EDIT: I'm also trying to decide between Combined English and English Lit, argh.
Politics or French will be fine. 2 languages is not a problem no.

I would personally do all 5, although you should so do Lit :awesome:
Reply 2
:france: do french!
I do German and French, it's most definitely not a waste and languages are much more respected than Politics, just because they're more traditional.

(I love Matt Smith too by the way. Eeee.)
sylarfangirl
I do German and French, it's most definitely not a waste and languages are much more respected than Politics, just because they're more traditional.

No they're not, not much more anyway.
Do French. If you like languages that much, just go right ahead. Someone who has taken two languages at A-level always looks respectable. Also, you can pick up politics at any time, really. Once you have languages under your belt you can go in any direction - for example, international politics.
Reply 6
definitely french! it's my favourite subject :suith:
French! =)
Reply 8
It honestly depends on who you are. I do both so obviously my opinion is that, if you can, do them both :p:

But in all seriousness, obviously Politics is far more interesting. I started Politics with no interest at all and now I can't stop thinking about it, so Politics is more of a subject you do for fulfillment rather than purely academic reasons. However French is also very useful and with less and less people doing languages in the UK, any language A-level is very useful and respected. I won't pretend it's a hugely interesting subject, because it isn't, but it's a very respectable A-level, as is Politics tbh.

The trouble is that they're both very solid A-levels, so you have to decide for yourself tbh, sorry :wink:
Reply 9
sylarfangirl

Yeah I feel like I *should* take German and French, I'm just not quite sure why :rolleyes:

*Fangirl squeee* He is lovely :love:
I'd rep you just for this comment...if I knew how :frown: :o:
Reply 10
69Crazyfists
Do French. If you like languages that much, just go right ahead. Someone who has taken two languages at A-level always looks respectable. Also, you can pick up politics at any time, really. Once you have languages under your belt you can go in any direction - for example, international politics.

This is a good point actually, I feel like if I give up French now and go back to it later I'll have lost my 'oomf', for want of a better word :rolleyes:
Reply 11
werd123
It honestly depends on who you are. I do both so obviously my opinion is that, if you can, do them both :p:

But in all seriousness, obviously Politics is far more interesting. I started Politics with no interest at all and now I can't stop thinking about it, so Politics is more of a subject you do for fulfillment rather than purely academic reasons. However French is also very useful and with less and less people doing languages in the UK, any language A-level is very useful and respected. I won't pretend it's a hugely interesting subject, because it isn't, but it's a very respectable A-level, as is Politics tbh.

The trouble is that they're both very solid A-levels, so you have to decide for yourself tbh, sorry :wink:

Haha I really appreciate you trying to be helpful here :')
Yeah I might ask about doing both; I don't want to give up French, but since I have the opportunity to do something new, I want to do Politics.
Reply 12
SilverDoe21
I know there's loads of threads like this, sorry :o:

Basically, I'm not sure which AS to take, Politics or French? Currently I've chosen History, English Combined, German and Politics, but I really do want to take French. I love languages and feel like I'm wasting the French I've already learnt by not taking it :s-smilie: But is it just a waste of time taking German and French? Because I have a genuine interest in politics too.

I'm so indecisive :rolleyes:

Do English Lit, and French.
Reply 13
Politics = awesome
French = ****
Reply 14
AS politics is craaap! (I may be saying it cos I find it hard though :P)
SilverDoe21
Yeah I feel like I *should* take German and French, I'm just not quite sure why :rolleyes:

*Fangirl squeee* He is lovely :love:
I'd rep you just for this comment...if I knew how :frown: :o:

If you like languages do them both, if you're more interested in Politics do that. :smile: I really enjoy doing both though.

(I know, he is oddly beautiful! :biggrin: Don't worry about rep just spread the Matt Smith luuuurve.)
French French French! Fo' sho'. :biggrin:

That having been said, two languages is really only for language freaks like myself. My friend takes both of the subjects in question, and I get the impression he definitely prefers Politics. If language interests you, go for it!

As for Lit vs. Lit and Lang, again, if the language itself interests you, go for combined English. If you just like reading books, take straight Lit. :yes:
Reply 17
This is totally subjective but psssst French psssst! But then again, politics is very interesting... Sorry I'm not much use!
Do you have any idea what you'd like to do after A levels? This might help?
As far as eng. combined and eng. lit. go, I have heard that unis prefer eng lit. over eng. combined, but this by no means means (?!) that they won't accept eng. combined... and I think if you want to do it, maybe you should do it regardless of unis' preference... but really I don't know much, so sorry this was a waste of a post really!
69Crazyfists

This :yep: Politics is interesting (I considered doing the A Level during my gap year) but languages open many more doors, especially in terms of working and studying abroad - and, of course, they're very impressive to universities.

Universities tend to look at the skills you get from the subjects rather than the subject itself (for example, if you're doing A Level History and you're applying for Law, they don't care about you knowing the finer points of the Cold War, it's the essay writing skills they're interested in), and any skills you could get from Politics you'll already have from History. Even for a Politics degree, A Level Politics isn't a requirement (although I'm not saying it wouldn't be useful). However, if you really want to take them both, you could try self-teaching Politics in your spare time?
Reply 19
SilverDoe21

Both are interesting & most people seem to enjoy it, no matter which one they choose. I do English Combined because I absolutely adore the creative writing element of it which wasn't offered in the English Lit course at my college.

Latest