The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

DancinBallerina
But then that all boils down to their module/assessment marks . . if sooo many people are coming out with 2:1s, surely having the higher/lower would separate those who've worked hard and those who have done nowt for 3yrs??? . . .:dontknow: . . .

What I meant is that instead of giving marks on individual papers/modules of (say) 55-65 all the time, stretch that to 45-65, which will end up with more 3rds and 2.2s and less 2.1s. So instead of something like 5% 3rds, 20% 2.2s, 60% 2.1s, 15% 1sts (figures arbitrarily chosen), it'd be more like 15% 3rds, 30% 2.2s, 40% 2.1s, 15% 1sts overall.

DancinBallerina
PS: I have been around for agesss, but mainly posted in fashion and beauty, H&R, GD, Social Science, General university discussion and etc . . :tongue: . . but :hello: anyway . .

Fashion and Beauty, that explains it. And :hello: to you too. :smile:
We should remember that Sheffield Hallam is a good establishment for business studies, perhaps not the best but it's decent. It's a high 2.1, good enough for a masters when combined with other qualities and the opinions of a few anonymous posters on a student forum in a post about metaphorically giving them a right good ear flicking for being put off their ambitions by achieving a good final grade.
alex_hk90
What I meant is that instead of giving marks on individual papers/modules of (say) 55-65 all the time, stretch that to 45-65, which will end up with more 3rds and 2.2s and less 2.1s. So instead of something like 5% 3rds, 20% 2.2s, 60% 2.1s, 15% 1sts (figures arbitrarily chosen), it'd be more like 15% 3rds, 30% 2.2s, 40% 2.1s, 15% 1sts overall.

Fashion and Beauty, that explains it. And :hello: to you too. :smile:

Ahh now I get you - yes that makes much more sense.
I know what you mean OP, I got the highest 2:1 possible, and there are so many below standard students who just managed to scrape a 2:1. And I think it's a bit unfair, because it does not really reflect the standard. There should be a different mark for a high 2:1 and a low one. I'm convinced.
Reply 64
Curwhibble
We should remember that Sheffield Hallam is a good establishment for business studies, perhaps not the best but it's decent. It's a high 2.1, good enough for a masters when combined with other qualities and the opinions of a few anonymous posters on a student forum in a post about metaphorically giving them a right good ear flicking for being put off their ambitions by achieving a good final grade.
Really :eyeball:. First of all Business stuides :lolwut: is a pretty poor degree I cant imagine it being technical at all or hard, might be hard for the OP I guess but still. You can get in with CCD at A level :sly: And Hallam....reallly....
Reply 65
I can completely see where you are coming from, the gap between scrapping a 2.1 and just missing a 1st is huge and a there is a massive disparity in the amount of work done. My uni have started using this new marking scheme (doesn't apply to me since i started the year before) but it's designed specifically to show how hard people in your sort of situation have worked.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/quality/categories/examinations/markscalesconventions/forstudents/ug08/honoursconvention/
Reeeal
Really :eyeball:. First of all Business stuides :lolwut: is a pretty poor degree I cant imagine it being technical at all or hard, might be hard for the OP I guess but still. You can get in with CCD at A level :sly: And Hallam....reallly....

What degree are you studying?
Reply 67
Think about those teenagers in the world who can't go to school because there isn't one near them, or they have to walk miles each day.
Or those kids who live in the middle of wars, with schools being blown up.

Hmm I think you're really lucky compared to the millions of those people...
Reply 68

I do Economics :cool:
Reply 69
Some people are just good at blagging exams.
Reply 70
As if economics is so cool lol
Reply 71

Economics >^∞ Business Studies :fyi:

Spoiler

Reply 72
You did great.

Spoiler

Reply 73
This whole culture of putting people down really pisses me off. If I were you I'd be pretty upset too at being so close to a 1st. But remember that among those people that you mentioned there will be some really hard working people too who didn't even manage to get a 2.1. Sometimes circumstances means that grades don't fully reflect your capability, that's why employers look at other things.

BUT because you did get a high grade put that on your CV and it will be taken into account so I wouldn't worry too much.

Also don't let people like Reel put you down. They only do it to make themselves feel better.
Reply 74
Bluey123
This whole culture of putting people down really pisses me off. If I were you I'd be pretty upset too at being so close to a 1st. But remember that among those people that you mentioned there will be some really hard working people too who didn't even manage to get a 2.1. Sometimes circumstances means that grades don't fully reflect your capability, that's why employers look at other things.

BUT because you did get a high grade put that on your CV and it will be taken into account so I wouldn't worry too much.

Also don't let people like Reel put you down. They only do it to make themselves feel better.

Hey Bluey, yeah I admit am still abit disappointed and may have overreacted a little but thinking about it I should really know myself that the grade isnt the end of the world. Having been responsible for hiring people on my placement job, the grade was definitely not the deciding factor when choosing employees.

As my friend said to me 'its not what you get, its what you do with your degree thats more important'. Will have to keep that in mind :smile:

Oh yeah Ive not taken any notice of Reel, you can tell he/she/it is a troll :P

Jess
x
Reply 75
Pink Bullets
They might do? Getting a mark less than 10 points higher than these people hardly proves that she's going to be a better employee at whatever she does. :s-smilie:

But if she realises that she has to work to get what she wants, and they think they can just coast through, they're going to get a bit of a shock at some point. Of course this isn't always going to be the case but if I were a manager of... somewhere I'd be promoting the hardworking employee that's doing well over the one that's kind of good also but doesn't really have that spark or enthusiasm for what they're doing.
The snobs who think their 2.1 is better than someone elses 2.1 are hilarious.
The point of a 1st is it's meant to be difficult to get. You don't get it for one of two reasons, you either didn't work hard enough or don't have the natural ability and flair in your subject to get it. You choose.
Saying that 'dossers' and 'wasters' get 2.1's is also a bit misleading. You'll get dossers and wasters in all grade boundaries - I know some people with incredible natural ability who get 1sts but don't break a sweat, and likewise people who spend a working week in the library all year and get a 2.2
I can understand you're disappointed but there's no need to be so derogatory about your peers as a result.
Anyway, I guess I'm one of those dossers who got a 2.1 just because i didn't get over 68. Jeez.
Reply 77
If you put that much work in and still didn't get a 1st maybe you're just not intelligent enough??
jessypoo
Thanks for the encouragement.
Just abit bummed as I am a Sheffield Hallam student, which doesnt have the greatest of reputations. Think am even more annoyed that the 'bummers' scraped through a 2.1 so on paper I they have the same grade as me. Sorry if that sounds so snobby!
Looking to do a Business Management masters at Sheffield University, they have asked for a 2.1 but am questioning my abilities now as I really thought I could had got a 1st...
Nevermind, will apply for it and see how it goes.

x

Sorry to hear you got a disappointing result. You have every right to be upset it it was a let down for you, but don't let that cloud the fact that a (high!) 2.1 is still a good achievement. Definitely apply for the masters - admissions tutors will look at your entire transcript, and will spot the fact that the 2.2 was an aberration. Assuming you get good references and the application is good, you should be a strong candidate, so don't let that worry you. The majority of jobs only ask for a 2.1, when you get there - and once your foot is in the door you won't even think about your degree mark, honestly.
Reply 79
Gareth I think you've miss interpreted my point a little.

When I say 'dossers' am talking about people I have actually have worked with in groups for the past 4 years and I know thier capabilities and attitudes towards work. Am not generalizing about people who get say less than say 67% and just calling them 'dossers'. Am talking about the ones that dont turn up to meetings, contribute feck all but still get the same grade as the hard workers as it is still 'group work'. To some extent these type of 'dossers' are taking points off those students that have worked hard for the grade.

As I mentioned before, I was lucky that one module was a group report that was individually marked otherwise if it was grouped marked (which the majority of group projects are) I would had got a 2.1 instead of a 1st in that particular module. On the otherhand the module I scraped a 2.2 on I worked with people that couldn't care less, pretty much used wikipedia as their only source of information and didn't turn up to the seminar to get the grade. These are the type of people that infuriate me, because I can honestly say a few people will have scraped through the 2.1 mark thanks to other people.

I apologize if i came across as belittling those with a 'lower 2.1'. I know people that have got a low 2.1 or 2.2 and have tried their best and most are very happy with the grade which I totally respect. I dont want to come across as though I think am better than anyone that has a 'lower' 2.1 than me, but it is just unfair for grades to get dragged because people do not pull their weight.

Jess
x

Latest

Trending

Trending