The Student Room Group
Reply 1
AS Further maths should be enough with your current list of A-levels. If you want LSE, you might need all A's.

Your A-level choices are very strong. Language, social science, maths and science subject. Good combo.
Reply 2
thegenius31416
I plan to study Economics at Uni and so I have decided to choose the following subjects to do next year at AS level:

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Physics
German

However, I will not be able to continue studying Further Maths to A2 due to timetable contraints. How much will this affect my application?

Thanks in advance.

Very good, but if you can drop German or Physics for A2 for further maths to fit in the timetable if that works.
Reply 3
Could you not just get rid of German or Physics instead? 5 is more than you need anyway.
Reply 4
Listen to no-one saying to drop German Physics at A2, LSE open day on wednesday:
A combination of Maths Further Maths Economics A2 is too narrow for straight Economics @ LSE, better off with Math + Economics

Basically if you do Maths, FM, Economics @ A2 you need a 4th A2
Reply 5
Econight
Listen to no-one saying to drop German Physics at A2, LSE open day on wednesday:

Basically if you do Maths, FM, Economics @ A2 you need a 4th A2

To be fair, I said drop Physics OR German. I'd say it would be better to drop one of those but keep Further Maths, would it not?
Reply 6
Maths, Physics and Economics is essential, I'd say a Language is a great choice, especially German, considering the Economical aspect of things.
Wata
Maths, Physics and Economics is essential, I'd say a Language is a great choice, especially German, considering the Economical aspect of things.

I dont understand how physics is essential for economics. The only way i could see how is from mathematical formulas you use in it, but wouldnt you just use them in maths anywa?
Reply 8
Wata

Physics is essential? :lolwut:

Surely Further Maths would be of more importance than Physics or a language?
Duckzilla
Very good, but if you can drop German or Physics for A2 for further maths to fit in the timetable if that works.

I could drop German for Further Maths to fit in for A2 but the point is German is my favourite subject (bar economics of course :P) and I definitely want to take it (as well as having it would be very useful if I were to apply for Economics + Year Abroad courses).

However, I could potentially study the extra modules for Further Maths A2 in my own time out of school. Has anyone done this and how hard is it?
Basically you're fine. Especially since you have a legitimate excuse and it's not your fault.
Reply 11
Jonty99
To be fair, I said drop Physics OR German. I'd say it would be better to drop one of those but keep Further Maths, would it not?

True, sorry saw the dropping comment and jumped in, I agree keep Further Maths probably drop physics to be fair.
thegenius31416
I plan to study Economics at Uni and so I have decided to choose the following subjects to do next year at AS level:

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Physics
German

However, I will not be able to continue studying Further Maths to A2 due to timetable contraints. How much will this affect my application?

Thanks in advance.

Dude, not to be funny or anything but you seriously want to have History in there, it will be such an asset to you, you don't need physics, the maths and German already show your versatility, but as I said take History! It will improve you chances a lot! And also take Modern History, to better understand international relations in the recent past etc.
shahedul
Dude, not to be funny or anything but you seriously want to have History in there, it will be such an asset to you, you don't need physics, the maths and German already show your versatility, but as I said take History! It will improve you chances a lot! And also take Modern History, to better understand international relations in the recent past etc.

If I could take modern history instead of physics I definitely would but unfortunately, my school only offers tudor history which I find incredibly boring. Also, History would again replace German (or maths, which is an obvious no) and so I would not want to do that.

The timetable is really annoying.
Reply 14
I think physics is needed, it's maths and a science, but yeah, Maths and Economics = most important, then further maths.
Wata
I think physics is needed, it's maths and a science, but yeah, Maths and Economics = most important, then further maths.

Well it might be a good choice, but it's definitely not necessary.
Reply 16
zeviper
AS Further maths should be enough with your current list of A-levels. If you want LSE, you might need all A's.

Your A-level choices are very strong. Language, social science, maths and science subject. Good combo.

Agreed.

And you can always have your school mention this in the reference they write.
thegenius31416

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Physics
German

Thanks in advance.

Great combination............ :cool:
Reply 18
Drop one of those subjects: possibly German or Physics.

4 AS subjects are enough, 3 A2 subejcts will be enough too (and considering you have further maths AS, that will provide a boost to your application).
Thanks guys for all your thoughts but I have managed to convince the maths department to allow me to do Maths and Further Maths in one option block so I can do all my choices now :biggrin:

Latest