The Student Room Group

Starting two languages ab-initio

At the moment all I have language quailification wise is a GCSE Spanish at C.(i have a level mathsB chem B and physics C but they seem irrelevent)

I am starting Japanese BA, form scratch, literally i know nothing, at the university of Leeds, and wondered if people think it would be too much work to do beginners Spanish as an elective? Would i get confused and bored trying to do two languages at once, or would it help me, as my brain would be all focused on one type of learning?
Reply 1
I think it depends on the way you work. I started learning korean and spanish a while ago and it was fine. Since you already have some understanding of spanish will also make it easier. I think as long as you separate the rules for each language then you shouldn't have a problem.
Reply 2
yeh i have the same worry, im doing BA french and hispanic studies, and will be starting spanish from scratch, but also wondering whether or not to take electives in italian. is this just silly?
Reply 3
steve2k5
yeh i have the same worry, im doing BA french and hispanic studies, and will be starting spanish from scratch, but also wondering whether or not to take electives in italian. is this just silly?

may I ask which university? I'm interested in doing Hispanic Studies with French but I don't know much about it, is it good?
I might do German... but then again, I might do theology :P
Reply 5
What's a elective/s?
luke88
What's a elective/s?

It's a free choice module you can take alongside your main degree subject. To the original poster, taking 2 languages from scratch would be a challenge, but you already have GCSE Spanish, which should come back to you pretty quickly, and the two languages are completely different, so at least there's mo chance of you getting confused. If you're determined and you work hard, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do it.
It's a challenge, but if you're like me, then challenges are nothing to shy away from. If it's want you want to do, then give it a go. What you put in, you'll get out.
Reply 8
just out of interest, why did you decide to do japanese when you focused on science at a level? is it something that you have always been interested in or a relatively new thing?
Wow, you're like a slightly different version of me! I did a-levels in Chem, Phys and Bio (i used to want to be a doctor). I am now doing Chinese at newcastle, sort of from scratch. I am considering adding some French in the equation, but I've nothing more than a GCSE in it. In my opinion, I think it's a great idea. But only if you are coping well with Japanese and feel you can split yourself amongst two very different languages and cultures! Whatever you do choose, good luck! Or as they say in China:

祝你好运气!
Reply 10
may I ask which university? I'm interested in doing Hispanic Studies with French but I don't know much about it, is it good?

im going to sheffield uni. and yeh i love languages, and the courses do look really interesting
Reply 11
ThunderCat8
Wow, you're like a slightly different version of me! I did a-levels in Chem, Phys and Bio (i used to want to be a doctor). I am now doing Chinese at newcastle, sort of from scratch. I am considering adding some French in the equation, but I've nothing more than a GCSE in it. In my opinion, I think it's a great idea. But only if you are coping well with Japanese and feel you can split yourself amongst two very different languages and cultures! Whatever you do choose, good luck! Or as they say in China:

祝你好运气!

hehe yea lots of similarities, but i won;t have started Japanese by the time i ave to pick electives so I won't know if I am doing well in it or not
Reply 12
I think it would be hard going. At my uni you're not supposed to do more than one language from scratch per year (I think anyway.... :rolleyes: ) Yes you have Spanish GCSE, but by the end of the first term you will have covered everything you learned at GCSE and more. Ab initio languages are intense, but if you think you can handle it, then go for it! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending