The Student Room Group

Where do you aork & how much do you get paid?

Hey all, just thought it'd be interesting to see how much those of us with part time jobs get paid. I noticed there is a lot of variation, for example I know if you work at LIDL, that you get paid a -lot- apparently, around £7 an hour, which I found surprising with the quality of the products.

I personally earn £6.12 an hour from working at M&S, and yes I am 18! I think it's probably a decent salary, the minimum wage is currently about £5.45 I think?

So what about you guys? :smile:

edit: Damn typo in my title can't seem to be edited :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This thread has been done a zillion times lol buuuh...

HMV - £7.22 per hour.
Co-op food - £5.96 ph, (since I turned 18, was lower before)
Nayberay
This thread has been done a zillion times lol buuuh...

HMV - £7.22 per hour.

And recently:

Here
Here

And there are otheres in the last few days.
Reply 4
GMPTE - £11.80 ph
Radiology Department Assistant - NHS, £14.18 an hour :woo:
Reply 6
Some places have a low base rate then the pay is made up from store sales bonuses/all that jazz, at least that's what I vaguely remember from what a housemate boasted about when going on about how much Aldi paid him because of how productive the store was.

Personally though; Yorkshire Bank, £6.30 which is then sprinkled with sales bonuses depending on how many people I successfully forward onto the sales team. The last bit may be a lie as I didn't really listen considering i'll be handing my resignation/transfer request in by August >_<
Asda - £6.24
Independent coffee shop - £5 an hour plus normally £2 an hour tips, plus free drinks and food

EDIT : Minimum wage for 18 year old is about £4.70
Sockpirate

No wonder the country is in debt.
Been in full time employment on a Salary for the past 4 years and getting made redundant, not looking forward to going back to jobs where I know my hourly rate...
Reply 11
Domino's delivery driver, £4.83 per hour + tips which, normally I'll take about £15-£20 in tips per 5 hour shift plus £1 for every delivery for fuel (which is more than generous since the delivery area is tiny, and I usually do around 15 deliveries on a decent night). So around £30 in my hand at the end of the night for fuel and tips, having used about £5-£10 worth of petrol during the shift, then my hourly wage which I get paid monthly, which is awesome because you never really have to spend your wages. Being a student I can feed my car and my social life just on my tips, then buy luxuries and more expensive things if I wanted to with my wage
Reply 12
Johnson's dry cleaners: £5.80, it's pretty rubbish but hey ho...money's money
Reply 13
I think (not entirely sure) that I will be on £5.77 somethingish per hour from August the 1st. I will be student president of my Union, which in my opinion is poor pay for someone who has responsibility for representing 1000's of students. It's a good thing that I love the job and have a passion for it :biggrin:
When I was part time I worked in a hotel for Min wage (whatever it was a year ago..£5.35 I think)

Security is better...but not much better.
Reply 15
I sell shoes for £6.03 an hour :teehee:
Sockpirate

How did you manage to bag that kind of job?
Argos £5.80p/h and it's such a hard job, literally don't stop from start to finish, but the staff are a great team and there is real scope to progress in the company and become a 'Team Leader' and earn loads while at Uni. Plus there is an Argos everywhere so it's easy to transfer store! Also it provides lots of transferable skills to almost any area of retail =D
Currys. £6.60 an hour.
I currently work on board a space station earning a six figure salary per anum. I also get to go on a lot of work doos which are always a blast.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending