The Student Room Group

Working at Cambridge

Is it true that you can't work paid part time at Cambridge? Are there any exceptions to this rule, or could you get an online job?
Yes, it is true that when you start your studies there that you agree to not partake in any paid work. However, there are paid work opportunities, and there is a lot of financial support available to you. I have heard of people working alongside their studies at Cambridge.
Reply 2
Original post by Squiggles1238
Yes, it is true that when you start your studies there that you agree to not partake in any paid work. However, there are paid work opportunities, and there is a lot of financial support available to you. I have heard of people working alongside their studies at Cambridge.

Are these paid work opportunities regular? And how do they differ from usual work?
Reply 3
Original post by doriangraayy
Is it true that you can't work paid part time at Cambridge? Are there any exceptions to this rule, or could you get an online job?

They specify that you should not work during term time, but it does not appear to be monitored or enforced, as many students do work, from the usual work in hospitality like bar or restaurant work, to tutoring, to anything else that students typically do at other unis. Some students even work for the Uni or their college, for events etc.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by doriangraayy
Are these paid work opportunities regular? And how do they differ from usual work?

Umm i mean I’m currently a first year, and we’ve just been offered the chance to sign up so I assume they’ll be offering it from some point this term? I’m not too sure how regular they are as of yet but I don’t think it’s overly often. They differ from usual work in that they are just like one off things, you’re not doing one constant thing on a rota, if that makes sense. TDLR, officially, being employed by anyone other than your college/the uni is not allowed.

I guess it’s also worth mentioning that opportunities may vary between colleges?
Original post by lalexm
They specify that you should not work during term time, but it does not appear to be monitored or enforced, as many students do work, from the usual work in hospitality like bar or restaurant work, to tutoring, to anything else that students typically do at other unis. Some students even work for the Uni or their college, for events etc.

I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. A Cam student would be very foolish to try and get a retail/server job in the city where they would inevitably meet a Fellow they knew at some point. There are some roles available for students, usually within their own College, and usually one-off roles for an Open Day or specific event, not a regular weekly role for example. The Colleges are pretty supportive of the no working rule and have a wide variety of hardship funds students can access, just with a conversation with their Tutor DoS, the Senior Tutor, Bursar, College Nurse etc.

Tutoring and anything hidden/online can be done of course, but the general advice is ask for hardship funding if you have a financial problem.
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. A Cam student would be very foolish to try and get a retail/server job in the city where they would inevitably meet a Fellow they knew at some point. There are some roles available for students, usually within their own College, and usually one-off roles for an Open Day or specific event, not a regular weekly role for example. The Colleges are pretty supportive of the no working rule and have a wide variety of hardship funds students can access, just with a conversation with their Tutor DoS, the Senior Tutor, Bursar, College Nurse etc.

Tutoring and anything hidden/online can be done of course, but the general advice is ask for hardship funding if you have a financial problem.

You are correct, it is not recommended, but a lot of them still do. It is more tutoring and ad hoc event work though, like you say, rather than retail/pub work.
Technically, you are not permitted to do so, and that may be why colleges with swimming pools prohibit paid student attendants during the academic year; however, no one else enforces this policy. However, the terms are genuinely so brief that it would be more prudent to obtain college funding during the academic year and secure a full-time employment during the summer, given how much they genuinely have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending