The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'd like to know a bit about this too because I'm still undecided on whether I should get a job in London. Hopefully, they'll be a lot of responses...
Reply 2
bump
Yeah im interested in applying to imperial but dunno what part time jobs there are for students. I know some unis give out temp jobs i wonder if london unis do the same.
Reply 4
I would quite like to know if there are lots of jobs in bars and restaurants in london? That's my preferred area of work you see
campy
I would quite like to know if there are lots of jobs in bars and restaurants in london? That's my preferred area of work you see

I live in London and most of my friends have jobs. I have my job for university already set up. London is huge with hundreds or bars and restaurants so you won't find it too hard to get a job. May be worth applying online where you can a few weeks in advance though to beat the rush.
I had a part-time job in my third year for a smallish/mid-sized consultancy for around 15 hours a week over 6 months. Toughest part is fitting the job with class during weekdays, but if you have a weekend job, that's much more manageable. Non-EU international students can only work 20 hours a week max by law, not sure about locals. Many of my friends (less than half) had jobs, mostly in retail, restaurants, pubs, internships, or part-time in small businesses (i.e. translation services, betting houses, etc) but usually only on the weekend and not more than 20 hours even for local students.

Just a word of caution, my grades slumped pretty bad relative to my second year though and I always felt too exhausted/unmotivated to do any school work. And as a general observation, those that didn't work out performed those who did work by quite a noticeable margin. Obviously, some people can juggle both just fine. So if you're third year results are very important for you, I'd actually advise most people against working while at uni. Otherwise, it could be good experience or good pocket money or both.
Reply 7
erasethisworld
I live in London and most of my friends have jobs. I have my job for university already set up. London is huge with hundreds or bars and restaurants so you won't find it too hard to get a job. May be worth applying online where you can a few weeks in advance though to beat the rush.

Yeah that's my plan. I'm literally like 40 mins by train away from central london so I was just gonna go on a job hunting day a week or 2 before term starts (and again when I come back home for summer-it's been hell trying to get a job this sumemr what with all the students coming home and I finally managed to get a job but only because my friend basically runs this restaurant and he couldn't be bothered with interviews and all that malarkey :P)

EDIT: oh and out of curiosity: where will you be working during uni? Does it have fixed hours or is it gonna be pretty flexible? This is another reason I'd want a bar job-it's fairly flexible in my experience and I'd want to actually go see my boyfriend occasionally :P
Reply 8
Fulham are looking for a new manager. He'll have to get in quick tough before Jol.
Reply 9
Well, i don't think i'm going to bother working while at uni term time. It's fairly easy to get work here; i mean, i have friends who have 2 or 3 jobs and only one of my friends doesn't have a job (and thats cause they don't want one). So, my thinking is just get a job during the holidays, at least the summer holiday and maybe christmas and easter if we have little work to do then. I really think that a job would impact on my grades and i can basically make enough money in the holidays to cover a lot of my living expenses for the following term, so i don't see the point of sacrificing my marks to get enough money to live really comfortably. That's my view on it anyway.
campy
Yeah that's my plan. I'm literally like 40 mins by train away from central london so I was just gonna go on a job hunting day a week or 2 before term starts (and again when I come back home for summer-it's been hell trying to get a job this sumemr what with all the students coming home and I finally managed to get a job but only because my friend basically runs this restaurant and he couldn't be bothered with interviews and all that malarkey :P)

EDIT: oh and out of curiosity: where will you be working during uni? Does it have fixed hours or is it gonna be pretty flexible? This is another reason I'd want a bar job-it's fairly flexible in my experience and I'd want to actually go see my boyfriend occasionally :P

Lush? I already work for them so I'm just transferring. They're flexible and really great people to work for. And haha yes, can't abandon the loved ones :biggrin:
Reply 11
drive like june
I had a part-time job in my third year for a smallish/mid-sized consultancy for around 15 hours a week over 6 months. Toughest part is fitting the job with class during weekdays, but if you have a weekend job, that's much more manageable. Non-EU international students can only work 20 hours a week max by law, not sure about locals. Many of my friends (less than half) had jobs, mostly in retail, restaurants, pubs, internships, or part-time in small businesses (i.e. translation services, betting houses, etc) but usually only on the weekend and not more than 20 hours even for local students.

Just a word of caution, my grades slumped pretty bad relative to my second year though and I always felt too exhausted/unmotivated to do any school work. And as a general observation, those that didn't work out performed those who did work by quite a noticeable margin. Obviously, some people can juggle both just fine. So if you're third year results are very important for you, I'd actually advise most people against working while at uni. Otherwise, it could be good experience or good pocket money or both.

Thanks for your advice. I was thinking of looking for a job but I don't want to neglect my work for university. Did you work on your third year only?
erasethisworld
London is huge with hundreds or bars and restaurants...

Actually London has around 2.500 restaurants so there should always be an open spot somewhere.
Reply 13
I managed to secure myself part-time work as a receptionist in September and they're allowing me to choose location as they have four branches so it's useful. And if things aren't so busy I can always crack open a book or finish off an assignment. I just have to wait for results and then hopefully my class schedule and then I can start work. My mates all have jobs in warehouses, nurseries, cinemas, bars and the like so I recommend applying for anything. Don't be too picky because at the end of the week, you will be grateful for that extra £80 or so in your pocket.

I applied online and in person. I found that calling up also helps a lot because they're not in their formal mood usually and more likely to give a bit of leeway. Just remember to sound confident!
TitanicTeutonicPhil
Actually London has around 2.500 restaurants so there should always be an open spot somewhere.

yeah that was kinda my point?
Just wanted to get the number right... or at least into the right ballpark :wink:
MisaG
Thanks for your advice. I was thinking of looking for a job but I don't want to neglect my work for university. Did you work on your third year only?

Yeah only for the last 6 months. You're doing half Japanese, so you'll need all the time you can get!

Latest

Trending

Trending