The Student Room Group

LSE, SOAS or Sussex for Development Studies?

Hello everyone!

I am planning to pursue my graduate degree in Development in 2024. I have received acceptance letters from LSE for MSc in "International Development and Humanitarian Emergencies", SOAS for the MSc "Global Development", and Sussex for MA in "Development Studies". However, I am having difficulty deciding which one to choose.

I am from Colombia and I am interested in working with NGOs in the development sector back home. My focus is on hands-on work, so I am looking for a programme that emphasizes practical experience.

While LSE has a better reputation, Sussex is ranked number one for development studies, and SOAS is ranked number two. I want to choose a programme that will provide me with a good education and job opportunities, as well as networking possibilities.

I am also considering the pros and cons of the cities where these universities are located. Although I am excited about living in a city like London, Brighton seems like a nice city and may be less expensive than London.

I would appreciate any suggestions from this community that would help me choose between these opportunities.
Reply 1
Original post by laura.bernal
Hello everyone!

I am planning to pursue my graduate degree in Development in 2024. I have received acceptance letters from LSE for MSc in "International Development and Humanitarian Emergencies", SOAS for the MSc "Global Development", and Sussex for MA in "Development Studies". However, I am having difficulty deciding which one to choose.

I am from Colombia and I am interested in working with NGOs in the development sector back home. My focus is on hands-on work, so I am looking for a programme that emphasizes practical experience.

While LSE has a better reputation, Sussex is ranked number one for development studies, and SOAS is ranked number two. I want to choose a programme that will provide me with a good education and job opportunities, as well as networking possibilities.

I am also considering the pros and cons of the cities where these universities are located. Although I am excited about living in a city like London, Brighton seems like a nice city and may be less expensive than London.

I would appreciate any suggestions from this community that would help me choose between these opportunities.

I have an offer from Sussex so may be a bit biased but since it’s number 1 for development I think it provides really good networking possibilities as they invite in speakers and previous students to talk.
Hi Congratulations on your offers! It's great that you're looking to study at SOAS for the MSc Global Development Programme and want to work in NGOs. I'm a final year undergraduate at SOAS and what I like the most about SOAS is that it's in the heart of London, a short walk away from Oxford Street and the British Museum. London is definitely more expensive that Brighton but SOAS offer lots of financial advice and support including bursaries, scholarships etc and they provide job opportunities such as becoming a student ambassador and taking on part time work along your studies. Being at SOAS also provides great networking opportunities as you can meet people from all over the world and join the 165+ societies offered at SOAS and SOAS CareersZone offer tailored CV support and help with providing job and internship opportunities and workshops tailored to support you in your next step after your Masters Programme. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending