The Student Room Group

Bsc in Computer science, Surrey or QUB?

Both offered me scholarships (not full) which definitely helps, which would you recommend while thinking about reputation, location, and employability. (i’ve heard Surrey is quite close to London which is a plus for me as i would be able to go there for any events or concerts)
Original post by kz17
Both offered me scholarships (not full) which definitely helps, which would you recommend while thinking about reputation, location, and employability. (i’ve heard Surrey is quite close to London which is a plus for me as i would be able to go there for any events or concerts)

Hi there,
Congratulations on your offers, you must be so pleased, and with both scholarships!
Although I don't know much about Queen's Belfast, I know that Surrey has a great reputation for Computer Science - we are ranked 6th in the UK for this degree and are in the top 100 Universities globally. We are also 7th in the UK for our Computer Science research. You can read more about the department and their successes here: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/department-computer-science/study
The location of Guildford is close to London, as you mention. You can get a train from Guildford to London Waterloo in under an hour for less than £20, so it is definitely a good option if you want a big night out, although we also have lots of entertainment venues in Guildford too, as well as on our Manor Park campus.
We also have good stats for employability, as we are 10th in the UK for graduates in high-skilled jobs. One thing you should really think about is if you want to do a professional training year, as this gives you a year working with a company in the field of your choice, giving you an idea of what life may be like once you graduate. In addition, the companies often offer promising placement students a job after they graduate, so this can be a great way to get your foot in the door in the job market. Finally, we also have a dedicated employability and careers service that supports Surrey students and graduates with job searches, interviews, CVs, covering letters etc, which is really useful when you start applying for placements or jobs after graduating. You can read more about them here: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/employability-and-careers
Good luck with making your decision, and let me know if you have any questions about life at University of Surrey!

- Michelle :smile:
3rd year Biomedical Science student at Surrey
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending