The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
plzplzplzduntbanme
You'd still supporting the industry when buying it/wearing it, prompting more demand for fur etc.

No i wouldn't :confused:
Trigger

Btw do you know if fur coats go up or down in value over time?
It might make for a good investment, if this thread is making you have 2nd doubts.
Just get it! Fur is lovely.

If anyone says otherwise, just ask them where their clothes are from. I can guarantee you 99.9% of the time they will be made from the sweat, tears and almost certainly blood of children as young as 8. Any highstreet, and most designer, labels, are made by what is essentially slave labour. I will never understand why this is acceptable but fur is not.

In short, I doubt most people are fit to question the issue of you wearing a completely green, renewable and natural product :yep:
Reply 43
polaroid13
Btw do you know if fur coats go up or down in value over time?
It might make for a good investment, if this thread is making you have 2nd doubts.

Well the ones i looked at are around the £50 to £70 mark so i don't know really. It might depend on who made it and what it's made of?
Trigger

People see you wearing it, so it seems more socially acceptable.
People will think the fur is pretty and want some of that fur action so they buy their own.
Increase in sales of vintage fur coats signals to producers that there's a increased demand for fur, they make more to sell.

etc etc

Obviously this type of effect is cumulative, and you buying one coat isn't going to make much difference. Just pointing out that your purchase would have an external effect.

Imo, you should buy it if you want. S'probably not an issue worth getting too worried about.
Reply 45
Trigger
Is it wrong, in your opinion, to buy a fur coat if it was originally made back in the 50's/60's? Is it still wrong or is it a kick in the teeth for the animal that died to make it to have it thrown away?

It would be better for the environment to get an old fur coat than it would be to get a new faux leather/fur/some other material coat.
Reply 46
plzplzplzduntbanme
People see you wearing it, so it seems more socially acceptable.
People will think the fur is pretty and want some of that fur action so they buy their own.
Increase in sales of vintage fur coats signals to producers that there's a increased demand for fur, they make more to sell.

etc etc

Obviously this type of effect is cumulative, and you buying one coat isn't going to make much difference. Just pointing out that your purchase would have an external effect.

Imo, you should buy it if you want. S'probably not an issue worth getting too worried about.

You're being rather pedantic and facetious, it would be a drop in the ocean and nothing more.
Trigger
You're being rather pedantic and facetious, it would be a drop in the ocean and nothing more.

:rolleyes:

That's like saying; "Why should I try and use less petrol? It's not like one person is going to affect global warming."
If you like it you should buy it, the animal has been dead for years and it's not like you personally went out into the country, shot the thing and skinned it.
Reply 49
plzplzplzduntbanme
:rolleyes:

That's like saying; "Why should I try and use less petrol? It's not like one person is going to affect global warming."

Well no it isn't. Wearing fur is better for the environment then driving a car or wearing a new synthetic coat?
Trigger
Well no it isn't. Wearing fur is better for the environment then driving a car or wearing a new synthetic coat?

The similarity is in the cumulative nature of the effect, not the specifics of the comparison. I was just trying to illustrate the problem more clearly. I'll try again. If every individual tries to reduce their petrol consumption, total CO2 emissions would decrease by a significant amount on the macro level. Whereas on the individual/micro level, one person cutting their petrol consumption makes a negligable difference to cumulative CO2 emissions.

So, if you buy a fur coat, it will make no practical difference to overall fur market. However, each decision to buy fur is made on the individual level, therefore each purchase contributes to the net demand for fur products. If everyone took the attitude that: 'my purchase doesn't affect anything at all', what do you think would happen?
Reply 51
plzplzplzduntbanme
The similarity is in the cumulative nature of the effect, not the specifics of the comparison. I was just trying to illustrate the problem more clearly. I'll try again. If every individual tries to reduce their petrol consumption, total CO2 emissions would decrease by a significant amount on the macro level. Whereas on the individual/micro level, one person cutting their petrol consumption makes a negligable difference to cumulative CO2 emissions.

So, if you buy a fur coat, it will make no practical difference to overall fur market. However, each decision to buy fur is made on the individual level, therefore each decision to buy contributes to the net demand for fur products. If everyone took the attitude that: 'my purchase doesn't affect anything at all', what do you think would happen?

Hmmm well yes but if you re-read my post you'l see i was talking about wearing synthetic coats which are incredibly harmful to the environment. Perhaps if we stopped wearing tat from Primark and all wore fur we'd make a difference?
Reply 52
Trigger
Is it wrong, in your opinion, to buy a fur coat if it was originally made back in the 50's/60's? Is it still wrong or is it a kick in the teeth for the animal that died to make it to have it thrown away?

:nah:

Buy the coat, it's animal would have wanted. On a more serious note, because it was made so long ago you wouldn't be contributing to the fur trade nowadays which can be very cruel to animals. Plus, some fur coats look so pretty and warm but I'm always hesitant to buy them in case it came from an unethical background.
Reply 53
Onyx.
:nah:

Buy the coat, it's animal would have wanted. On a more serious note, because it was made so long ago you wouldn't be contributing to the fur trade nowadays which can be very cruel to animals. Plus, some fur coats look so pretty and warm but I'm always hesitant to buy them in case it came from an unethical background.

This shop puts the year they were made on the label :smile:
Trigger

I think by purchasing it, regardless of its age, it is still perpetuating the problem as the product is still demanded.
Trigger
Hmmm well yes but if you re-read my post you'l see i was talking about wearing synthetic coats which are incredibly harmful to the environment. Perhaps if we stopped wearing tat from Primark and all wore fur we'd make a difference?

Or you could just buy a used synthetic coat. Or an article of clothing made from a recyclable material. If we all bought fur, it would have just as much negative impact to the environment. I don't know why you have to justify it your buying it by presenting only two scenarios when there is in fact more.
Nah.

Imo fur looks tacky as hell, but whatever.
Reply 57
HandleWithCare
I think by purchasing it, regardless of its age, it is still perpetuating the problem as the product is still demanded.

Is it worse then asking third world children to make me a coat for 13p a day?
Reply 58
Blueflare
Nah.

Imo fur looks tacky as hell, but whatever.

You are entitled to your opinion :smile:
Reply 59
Trigger
This shop puts the year they were made on the label :smile:

Sorry, if you said before but is it like a vintage type shop/charity shop?

Edit: Typing this on my iPod, so allow the errors in my replies :o:

Latest

Trending

Trending