The Student Room Group

Neutered my cat

I got my cat neutered today and she reeks of urine. Before and during the procedure she got extremely stressed, I’m not sure how the vets treated her, and urinated all over herself out of fear. I’m a bit skeptical about the way they handled her if she got scared to such an extreme point. I know I can’t bathe her for 10-14 days, but I really need to clean her fur somehow. What do I do? The smell is very strong, every time I touch her fur the smell transfers to my fingers. Do you think the vets triggered her really badly? It’s very odd to me that she became this aggressive.
Reply 1
Best advice - leave her in peace in a calm familiar environment. It matters not how she smells, just leave her in the quiet.

When she is ready she will start cleaning her fur, but don't rush in to wash or bathe her. She will be sore and cranky and you will only add to her distress. Let her smell to high heaven, and if she wants some comfort she will come looking for it from you smell and all.

I'm not sure if your cat had the 'forget everything unpleasant' anaesthetic, you would have to ask your vet. It is common for some animals to wee themselves when they are coming round from an anaesthetic particularly if they had a full bladder going in. Hope she recovers well but I would still leave her for ten days or wait until after she has had any stitches out before washing her (particularly if she hates being bathed) Just put up with the smell - its a small price to pay for a happier cat.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttly
Best advice - leave her in peace in a calm familiar environment. It matters not how she smells, just leave her in the quiet.

When she is ready she will start cleaning her fur, but don't rush in to wash or bathe her. She will be sore and cranky and you will only add to her distress. Let her smell to high heaven, and if she wants some comfort she will come looking for it from you smell and all.

I'm not sure if your cat had the 'forget everything unpleasant' anaesthetic, you would have to ask your vet. It is common for some animals to wee themselves when they are coming round from an anaesthetic particularly if they had a full bladder going in. Hope she recovers well but I would still leave her for ten days or wait until after she has had any stitches out before washing her (particularly if she hates being bathed) Just put up with the smell - its a small price to pay for a happier cat.

Thanks for this, I was panicking a bit. Bathing her is hard, she goes attack mode 💀

Quick Reply

Latest