The Student Room Group

i will be doing medicine in china..

as the title says, i will be heading to china this november to study medicine.
im actually very nervous about this, but this is the cheapest place i can find, and from what ive heard, it's actually a decent uni.
I was just wondering , what is the best way to prepare for it?
i mean, im scared that i will struggle in the first year, im scared i might fail, and so i just thought i better study ahead or something..
so if theres any medics out there, could you please give me some advise?
the only qualifications i have is A-levels, but my grades arent really good, its just C..
so again i was just wondering if i can do anything to prepare myself..
perhaps maybe i should revise bio and chem? or something?
thanks for reading.

Scroll to see replies

How about getting some sample/past exam papers and working your way through them?
Reply 2
right now i'm currently in shanghai, china, and it's absolutely wonderful
i'm no medic or anything, but i think you shouldn't worry too much over it

although this isn't much advice, just study hard and take advantage of this great experience
Have they provided you with a reading list?

Go over your A level material just to refresh your mind a little. Also thoroughly go over the things you don't quite understand or things that are harder.

Have they provided you with a list of modules? You may be able to do a little research on those modules just to give you a little headstart. Goodluck.
Reply 4
learn chinese?
wishful
as the title says, i will be heading to china this november to study medicine.
im actually very nervous about this, but this is the cheapest place i can find, and from what ive heard, it's actually a decent uni.
I was just wondering , what is the best way to prepare for it?
i mean, im scared that i will struggle in the first year, im scared i might fail, and so i just thought i better study ahead or something..
so if theres any medics out there, could you please give me some advise?
the only qualifications i have is A-levels, but my grades arent really good, its just C..
so again i was just wondering if i can do anything to prepare myself..
perhaps maybe i should revise bio and chem? or something?
thanks for reading.

wel your grades sound like you are not a good student:p:
well i would say revise bio .as much as you can.
read some articles on bio chem (thats what you going to study in medicine)
rest will be easy.just keep pace.
revise every day in china.
people there are arse. so expect hostility.:biggrin:
Reply 6
Someone else has mentioned it but... You can speak some form of Chinese, right? ;p
Reply 7
deathbeforeimmortality
Have they provided you with a reading list?

Go over your A level material just to refresh your mind a little. Also thoroughly go over the things you don't quite understand or things that are harder.

Have they provided you with a list of modules? You may be able to do a little research on those modules just to give you a little headstart. Goodluck.

i will be getting the curriculum modules tomorrow, and yeah I'll research on that.
thanks for the advice..yeah my mom told me to just revise a level again..
i definitely need a head-start just incase you know? lol
Reply 8
greenforce
wel your grades sound like you are not a good student:p:
well i would say revise bio .as much as you can.
read some articles on bio chem (thats what you going to study in medicine)
rest will be easy.just keep pace.
revise every day in china.
people there are arse. so expect hostility.:biggrin:

thanks.. yeah thats my plan really, to just revise and keep a low profile, im actually scared as hell to even go there, but i have no choice..its either that, or no medicine..
i think i should make friends with a chinese guy ( lol evrybody is.. )
and then just hang around with him i guess..lol
Reply 9
concubine
Someone else has mentioned it but... You can speak some form of Chinese, right? ;p

no i cant.. actually they're giving me mandarin classes for the first sem.
Reply 10
zken11
right now i'm currently in shanghai, china, and it's absolutely wonderful
i'm no medic or anything, but i think you shouldn't worry too much over it

although this isn't much advice, just study hard and take advantage of this great experience

thanks man.. i feel better a bit, and thats exactly what my mom said haha..
im gonna be in Xi'an
wishful
thanks.. yeah thats my plan really, to just revise and keep a low profile, im actually scared as hell to even go there, but i have no choice..its either that, or no medicine..
i think i should make friends with a chinese guy ( lol evrybody is.. )
and then just hang around with him i guess..lol

well try make friends of your own ethnicity and make sure they are good people.
on a very serious not china is no mumbo jumbo. crime in every society is a reality-when china is in focus.. it is very serious there. down take ally ways at night and days..when travelling take busy roads. make sure you are always accompanied by some guy when moving there.
i know alot of people who went to china for medicine-they went there in a group. so living for them was just ok-not easy
How can you study a subject like medicine in China without speaking any of the languages they speak there?
Reply 13
psychocustard
How can you study a subject like medicine in China without speaking any of the languages they speak there?

a lot of luck? and a delusion(or faith) that you'll be able to master the language in 1 semester?
liz91
a lot of luck? and a delusion(or faith) that you'll be able to master the language in 1 semester?

Thank God it's not just me who thought that!
Reply 15
i spent my whole life learning that damned subject. it really isn't easy, and very very different from english.
Well good luck with your retarded decision.
At least there'll be some cute Chinese chicks ennit? And I'm not talking about the ones in the stir frys.
Reply 18
yeah, but i thought the basis of any relationship(even if its a one night stand) is communication. . . .guess i was mistaken.
Reply 19
How will you talk to patients if you can't speak a form of Chinese? :facepalm2:

I doubt one semester will be enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending