The Student Room Group
I did RS! It can be modular, but in my experience, the papers tend to be done together in 3-hour blocks in June. This does, however, allow for January resits where you can focus on one half of the course. As each paper is a separate topic, like Philosophy of Religion and Religious Ethics. (What I did. :ahee:)

However, if your school are nice enough to do one in January and one in June, you'll focus on one module up until January, then swap to the other in June. I'd ask teachers if I were you, but I think both in June is more common.
MarinaM
I did RS! It can be modular, but in my experience, the papers tend to be done together in 3-hour blocks in June. This does, however, allow for January resits where you can focus on one half of the course. As each paper is a separate topic, like Philosophy of Religion and Religious Ethics. (What I did. :ahee:)

However, if your school are nice enough to do one in January and one in June, you'll focus on one module up until January, then swap to the other in June. I'd ask teachers if I were you, but I think both in June is more common.

Thanks for that answer! :biggrin: But it's just that on the OCR website, the past papers have a January series and a June series. Did you do OCR?
LittleMissCurious
Thanks for that answer! :biggrin: But it's just that on the OCR website, the past papers have a January series and a June series. Did you do OCR?

They do have January papers! Like I said, some schools choose to do one half in January, and the other half in June, but I think most do them at the same time in June. Also, said January series is used for resits. :yes:

And I did, yes. :biggrin:

EDIT: On a stupid note, this is my 1337th post. :awesome:
Reply 4
I did one module in January, and then another in June for my AS's. Although the vast majority of people "re-sat" the exam in June, I did well enough not to have to resit the exam.
MarinaM
They do have January papers! Like I said, some schools choose to do one half in January, and the other half in June, but I think most do them at the same time in June. Also, said January series is used for resits. :yes:

And I did, yes. :biggrin:

EDIT: On a stupid note, this is my 1337th post. :awesome:

Oh right, ok :smile: My school is a grammar school... do you think it's likely they'll do all the exams in June? Sorry for all the questions, it's just that I'm in a drama group and we're putting on a panto in January, and I really want to be in it :p: But obviously I can't if I've got exams. +rep coming your way now :wink:

And wow, that's a LOT of posts!
LittleMissCurious
Oh right, ok :smile: My school is a grammar school... do you think it's likely they'll do all the exams in June? Sorry for all the questions, it's just that I'm in a drama group and we're putting on a panto in January, and I really want to be in it :p: But obviously I can't if I've got exams. +rep coming your way now :wink:

And wow, that's a LOT of posts!

Haha, I'm such a loser - just because it's 1337. :awesome:

But yeah, my school was a bog-standard comprehensive and they did it all in June - I think they prefer to do it that way, as it means the student retain more rather than just cramming per exam. I'd double-check with your RS teacher, but especially a grammar school, they're likely to keep most things in June. (At my place, January was for Maths modules, and also papers in Biology, Geography, and Psychology. My old school also had Sociology modules then, too - but no RS. And that was a grammar, fyi.)

Glad to help. The school play is a marvellous thing indeed! :h:
Reply 7
I teach OCR's Philosophy and Ethics for ALevel and I only enter my students for the June exams. This is partially because my school only allows resits in January, but even if they didn't, I'd still put all my lot in for June only.

My rationale for this is primarily that it has been shown that pupils who sit all units in June tend to have a more mature outlook and can answer the examination questions better - they've had 6months (ish) more Alevel experience than those who sit their AS's in January. Their answers are better thought out and they can apply anything from the course at all which they think is relevant to the question (bit hard to do if you've not been taught it yet!)

But, as others have said, this is entirely up to your school, so ask them! It doesn't matter whether it's a grammar school or a comprehensive - it's up to the individual school itself.

I'm the only RS ALevel teacher at my school so I teach all philosophy in term 1 and then all ethics in term 2- but some schools I've taught in have had two teachers; one for philosophy and one for ethics and thus your lessons are halved each week between philosophy and ethics, with you completing both units around the same time (usually around Easter or soon after). Both methods work equally well - it's swings and roundabouts, really.

I would urge you to speak to your RS teacher and ask them what usual procedure is. If they do put you in for a January module, then you can let the school know that you don't want to sit it (or get your parents to - might hold more water) The school has the final word on it, but if you don't ask... That way you can focus on learning the stuff properly in time for June rather than spending three weeks over Christmas revising your socks off when you could be rehearsing for the Panto!!

All the best

Latest

Trending

Trending