The Student Room Group

Philosophy A-Level advice

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could provide any insight into the similarities and differences between how exam boards handle the ‘Philosophy’ A-Level. From my own research and understanding, AQA offer a course which is just Western philosophy, whereas Edexcel and OCR (I think?) offer a combination of philosophy, theology/religion and ethics. Is this correct? Is there anything else I should be aware of?
Thank you :smile:
OCR is called Religious Studies and it covers philosophy of religion, religion and ethics and developments in a religious thought (I do Christianity, but you can do Islam, Judaism, Buddhism or Hinduism instead)
Reply 2
Only AQA offer a Philosophy A level. It is standard analytic philosophy (anglo-american, even more specific than just western).

AQA, OCR, Edexcel and Eduqas all offer a religious studies A level which involves three components - philosophy, ethics and the study of one religion (usually schools choose Christianity).
Original post by UnsightlyThinker
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could provide any insight into the similarities and differences between how exam boards handle the ‘Philosophy’ A-Level. From my own research and understanding, AQA offer a course which is just Western philosophy, whereas Edexcel and OCR (I think?) offer a combination of philosophy, theology/religion and ethics. Is this correct? Is there anything else I should be aware of?
Thank you :smile:

I think you should also be aware that edexcel offers an anthology portion, where you study 12 extracts from works of theologians, philosophers etc. There is 4 extracts each aspect. I personally love it because it gets you a step further as you delve into the works deeper and can get you to really understand the topics - hugely different to other exam boards. But it can be hard at first so once you get stuck into it, it’s a lot easier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending