The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Buy books with IELTS sample tests. And take loads of them. Don't get those general IELTS preparation books, they're pretty much useless if you already know the most important rules and advanced grammar (for which I'd suggest a more general grammar book). The only way to get a good score is to practise with tests. :smile:
Reply 2
can you guys suggest any titles?
are there any popular books?
Reply 3
:smile:
Reply 4
well, I had "Focus on IELTS" bu Sue Connell if I recall correctly... but the book wasn't any good. I have Longman's Exam Dictionary, and there were some sample IELTS listening and reading tests, so mostly this. I also googled tips on all the sections, especially speaking as I was really worried about that. this is great, too, don't forget to read sample essays. you should also find someone to correct your essays, maybe your English teacher would help? (: practise spelling, too, because if you make spelling mistakes in listening your answer is considered wrong (I managed to write professor with two F, and then I got the reading sheat with a text about some physics professor... I wanted to cry, literally. such a stupid mistake)
be sure to leave some listening and reading tests for the last week before the test, and practise to do all the parts quicker than required (especially writing). learn to answer those simple questions about yourself/your town/your family/etc on the spot as the examiner will not give you any time to think about them and he or she will surely ask something like that. actually, try to answer any unexpected questions quickly and without any noticeable pauses.
and - don't forget about things that might not let you concentrate. maybe your neighbour will be sneezing constantly or something (: so you can practise to do the tasks with music on... well, that's just a suggestion but it really helped me. I got 7.5 overall by the way
Reply 5
thank you doleful for your contribution.
any other comments/advise are welcome :smile:
Reply 6
anyone else?
can you please suggest some book titles please ?? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending